Yukon Denali Towing North Trail 31QBS?

Nell

Can someone please advise me here. We are looking to buy a North Trail 31QBS and our tv is a 2005 Yukon Denali. The GCWR is 14,000lbs (I'm getting that from the owners manual), the max trailer weight shows 7,900lbs and the 31QBS dry weight is 5390lbs. There are 5 members of our family and we take a fair bit of "stuff" when we camp. Do these numbers work. I'm worried about maxing out the TV.

jpmorgan37

Nell;

What you really need to do is load up the Denali with all five family members, snacks, books, DVD players and all the other "stuff" you would normally have with you when travelling, fill the gas tank and go to the scales and get weighed. Then you will know what the Tow Vehicle will weigh. As far as the North Trail is concerned, use the 7900 pounds as a guide line, but if you think you will overload it or travel with the water tank full, add another several hundred pounds. That will give you a fairly good idea.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We used to tow a 27 ft. Dutchman with an 01 Yukon. We were definitely at or over our GVW. It handled the trailer weight OK but our Dutchman had a front Kitchen and slide towards the front with a tongue weight of 1000# We towed in 3rd and were running about 2700 RPM at highway speeds. It stopped well also but the tongue weight was a bit much. We tried several different hitch adjustments but never could get a good ride. I never did weigh the rig. If you have the XL the ride may be better just due to the wheelbase. All you can do is try it and see how it works. Good Luck.

StevieWonder

You'll be well over the CGVW. As usual with towing, it won't be the "going" that will be the big issue (unless you're in the mountains or big hill country), it'll be the "stopping". No way I'd even attempt this without airbags on the rear of the Denali, a top-of-the-line anti-sway hitch and a darn good trailer brake controller. Try loading as much as possible towards the back of the trailer to keep the tongue weight down.

Good luck.

lrichards

I am really interested in the Yukon. We are pulling our Sundance 280RL with a 5.3L Suburban. How is it going with the Yukon? The Suburban is handling it okay, however we can only travel 62-67 mph without rpms in the 2500-3700 range, which I feel is unacceptable. On flats at 62-67 mph our tach stays under 2000 rpm, which I feel is fair to the TV. We are getting 10.7mpg. Again I am very interested in this Yukon post, as most of you have heavy diesels. Please weigh in if you are pulling with a Yukon type vehicle and lets get each other informed about that category.

Nell

I am really interested in the Yukon. We are pulling our Sundance 280RL with a 5.3L Suburban. How is it going with the Yukon? The Suburban is handling it okay, however we can only travel 62-67 mph without rpms in the 2500-3700 range, which I feel is unacceptable. On flats at 62-67 mph our tach stays under 2000 rpm, which I feel is fair to the TV. We are getting 10.7mpg. Again I am very interested in this Yukon post, as most of you have heavy diesels. Please weigh in if you are pulling with a Yukon type vehicle and lets get each other informed about that category.

We have had the 31QBS since April and have had five trips out with it so far. Our Yukon Denali is performing better than expectations. However it is a 6.0 with 4 wheel disc brakes w/Hydroboost, Autoride suspension, Stabilitrak Vehicle Stability Enhancement System and fulltime all wheel drive. We can travel flat at 65 around 1800 rpm - we typically keep it around 60 - definately not more than 65. Our concern was transmission temp, we went all synthetic oil and are now able to keep it under 200 in 90-100 degree weather. Haven't done mountains yet - I know it won't be great but we'll monitor it closely. As for the ride you can not feel the trailer back there. The Equalizer 4 point sway control wd hitch is excellent.

lrichards

Thanks Nell. Confirms our experience. Our Suburban has everything yours does except we have the 5.3L. Most of our use will be in Texas. We are going to take it to Gunnison, Co and the area for a month next June. We may go slow uphill however it can handle it I'm sure. Once rolling I really do not know it is back there. It is so good knowing someone else with this tow vehicle. Everyone tells me diesel one-ton is the way to go, however we needed the space for dogs and supplies in the Suburban, and so far are happy with the choice. More later,

Lance & Sharon McMahon

cking

I'm in the process of closing on a 31QBS with the intent to tow it with an '08 Yukon Denali AWD (116" wheelbase). I'd really like to talk to Nell (or anyone whose towed with the same or similar combination) to make sure I'm not getting too much trailer and any tips on hitch selection. Thanks in advance .

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm in the process of closing on a 31QBS with the intent to tow it with an '08 Yukon Denali AWD (116" wheelbase). I'd really like to talk to Nell (or anyone whose towed with the same or similar combination) to make sure I'm not getting too much trailer and any tips on hitch selection. Thanks in advance .

Looking at the specs for your TV and the TT, you should be fine. Per the GM literature, the Denali AWD (6.2L V-8) is rated to pull a trailer up to 7900 lbs. The GVWR for your 31QBS is 6900 lbs, with 5429 lbs. listed as the dry weight. With a hitch weight of 675 lbs., you could get a weight distributing hitch rated for 1000 lbs., along with a sway controller and have no problems. So long as you don't overload the trailer or the TV with a ton (+) of bricks.

couch

I have the 31qbs too and we are towing with a Suburban Z71, which is the 1/2 ton truck, with the proper hitch, sway bars, you should do fine as long as you don't overload the tv. I can get 11 mpg in the highway, and when the brake controler is dialed in correctly, you don't really feel it back there. gl with your new trailer, we have 5 kids with 3-9 year olds and they love it.

cking

I appreciate everyone's input. The dealer from which we bought the 31QBS is allowing us to "test tow" the trailer before we finalize the deal. We tried it once already with a Reece Dual Cam but neither I nor the dealer were comfortable with the stability of that setup. In fairness to the Reece Dual Cam, setting up the WD on a Yukon with autoride suspension was new to the dealer (and me, obviously), so I'm not sure the WD was set up properly. I'll be installing a Hensley Arrow on the 31QBS tomorrow, taking the rig to a scale to make sure we have the WD dialed in properly, and giving it another try. I'm encouraged by Nell's and Couch's experiences, but think my TV wheelbase is about 14" shorter than theirs, so my experience may not be the same. I'll let you know how it goes.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I appreciate everyone's input. The dealer from which we bought the 31QBS is allowing us to "test tow" the trailer before we finalize the deal. We tried it once already with a Reece Dual Cam but neither I nor the dealer were comfortable with the stability of that setup. In fairness to the Reece Dual Cam, setting up the WD on a Yukon with autoride suspension was new to the dealer (and me, obviously), so I'm not sure the WD was set up properly. I'll be installing a Hensley Arrow on the 31QBS tomorrow, taking the rig to a scale to make sure we have the WD dialed in properly, and giving it another try. I'm encouraged by Nell's and Couch's experiences, but think my TV wheelbase is about 14" shorter than theirs, so my experience may not be the same. I'll let you know how it goes.

The hensly will solve any problem that you have. I towed a fully loaded Airstream with a 1/2 ton pickup. Sometimes at speeds approaching 85 miles and hour...and never had one bit of problem with the trailer. With the standard setup...I was pushing it to drive the speed limit. But, only because the of propwash of the big trucks.

With the Hensley, it was more like, "what Big Truck:

cking

Following up: I installed a Hensley Arrow hitch and Tru-Control brake controller yesterday and pulled the 31QBS (33' 8" bumper to hitch/6900 lbs. GVWR) on two-lane and interstate and weighed the combo on CAT Scales. With trailer unloaded, except for full tank of water (~300 lbs.) and 2 men in the TV, we were well within CGVWR, GVWR, and Axle weights. I may try putting more tension in the spring bars to shift more weight to the front axle of the TV, but even as it was, the trailer towed wonderfully and the Yukon (6.2L w. 6-speed automatic) seems to have plenty of power to tow it. This was a completely different (for the better) experience than the first couple of tries with the Reece Dual-Cam; so much so, that we're going to stick with the 31QBS as our first trailer. Thanks again to all that lent their experience and expertise. I'll be happy to reciprocate and answer any questions that others may have on this setup.

Chris562

I own a 2001 Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1l V8 and 4.10 gears. The actual trailer towing weight is 12,000 lbs according to my books and receiver. The newer ones have a different design receiver, are only rated for like 10500 lbs. plus they did away with the 8.1 and only offer the 6.0

rckc228

Just sold my Hensley to another Forum member with the same unit as your. He is towing with 1/2 ton chev pickup.

GaryA

We tow a 31 QBS with a 2005 Chavy Avalanche with a 5.3L. Had it on highways and up and down winding steep roads with no problems.

mjames19

31QBS: TV=07 3/4 ton 4X Suburban 6L w/4.10 axle

It's comforting to read that folks are towing these with 1/2 ton Yukon/Suburbans. I always tend to err on the side of caution and am looking for affirmation of my choice. I just signed the papers today.:cool: