pulling the trigger on a Big Country!

Hi folks! NewB here, just joining last week.

As it stands right now, barring some sort of absolute disaster between now and next week, our deposit that we just put down on a 2013, slightly used, BC 3596RE will become a reality for us. We are going from "camping" in a popup to "glamping" in a 5'r.

The previous owners of this particular unit purchased it new, then decided after just a few months that they really preferred a Class A instead of the 5'er and traded it in.

The unit is in almost immaculate shape. The only blemish on it is where the previous owners had had a washer dryer in the closet hookup space and subsequently took it out. Everything else appears great.

As this is a huge step for us, I am sure that we will have tons of questions. I hope you will be so kind as to please bare with us if/when we start asking the mundane and/or silly sounding questions!

Thank you in advance!

Jim and Deanna

jimtoo

Hi Jim and Deanna,

Welcome aboard the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions, just ask in the area of your concern and someone will most likely jump in with help or suggestions.

Please check out the Heartland Owners Club. We have lots of rallies and get togethers where you will meet in person and make friends for a life time.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you Big Country.

Jim M

emm4273610re

Congrats on your new 5'er ! Make sure your dealer does a good walk through with you explaining how things work, mostly showing you that they do indeed work. A good dealer will even offer you a road test with your new unit making sure you are comfortable driving. Remember this is FUN ! Feel free to ask as many questions you feel needed and even send me a PM if you want. There are many out there to help sometimes you just need to ask. Good Luck and again Have Fun !

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome and congratulations on your new soon to be Home Away From Home. We have had 2 different Big Countries in the last 8 years, loving each for. Please be sure to turn on every light switch, open every draw and cabinet, and then in the UDC, pull both the gray holding tanks and the black tank to make sure they pull easily. I have also checked the refrigerator's operations as well as the stove top to see if the gas burners are ok. Another thing to look at is the sensors in the cabinet. And then there's the tires - good luck with those.
Good luck and happy traveling.

Speedy

Jim and Deanna, my wife and I did the same thing regarding going from a popup to 5er and ours to was BC. You'll love it and won't regret it. The forum is a great tool to help with problems and a way to meet new friends. Do lots of reading so you know how to handle things as they come down the road at you.

OrangeWing

Hi Jim and Deanna
Did you guys take delivery on the 3596? Where was it located? We actually looked at a slightly used 3596 2013 in Cleveland Tx just about two weeks ago. Ended driving to hammond la to purchase a new 2014 3596RE. Ours will be delivered some time this week as i have to 'upgrade' my wheels and we wanted to pull the trigger. PM me if u want and we can exchange ideas and comments on our almost identical units. Welcome to the Heartland family. I traded a 21 heartland in on our BC. I will be posting some pics soon and already have some mods planned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stevenssr

Congrats to you both and welcome to the Heartland and Big Country family! You aren't a newbie to RV's, but if you come up with any Big Country specific questions just ask'm here and I'm sure you will get an answer.

Scott

Thanks for the welcomes and advice, folks! As of this writing, due to negligence on the part of dealer with moving our unit off the lot to the service area and it subsequently receiving some body damage from that world famous culprit, " I don't know", we still have not take possession of the unit. We did a walk through on it last Saturday and only found a light out in the front lower compartment, along with some water, reportedly from, "the boys washed it this morning, and...", to which I asked "then how did it get water in here? they flush it out??" The tech assured me that he would double check for a leak.

I drove out to the dealership yesterday and, after being assured that it would go into the shop on Monday, past, it still sat in the service lot, untouched, except for the lower compartment door standing open to help dry it out. (OR- possibly getting worked on checking for a leak?)

So, we are still waiting, getting more and more anxious to start the new "glamping" life style!

Buster537

Congratulations also; We have a 2013 - BC 3510 bought new, have had plumbing issues. Heartland installed poly with pinch instead of crimp connectors. I have had to replace 2 T's, one each on hot and cold side and now the hot elbow is leaking below the washer. They did not do a very good job at all on their fittings and connectors. I will take it to the dealer to get the elbow replaced.

dbbls59

Congratulations also; We have a 2013 - BC 3510 bought new, have had plumbing issues. Heartland installed poly with pinch instead of crimp connectors. I have had to replace 2 T's, one each on hot and cold side and now the hot elbow is leaking below the washer. They did not do a very good job at all on their fittings and connectors. I will take it to the dealer to get the elbow replaced.
This seems to be a common problem with Heartland. I had the same problem and have seen many post here with the problem. I bought a crimping tool and have had to use it a few times.

Well, May 12th, we finally took possession of the 3596 - Momma's "The doll house" , or as I call it, "Glamper 1". During our walk through we discovered that the black tank's gage was actually not far off at all because the tank was never dumped by the previous owners OR the CW dealership! THAT was a stinkbomb for the dealership alright!

Noticed no plumbing problems yet.

We had it out for a 4 day Memorial Day weekend adventure, and with the exception of getting the hot water going, had a fantastic experience. The hot water manual included with the rig was not for the water heater that came with the rig. The diagrams did not match up with what I was looking at and it took a little time to get it going, but worked great when it did. The tech's PDI advice did not seem to work at first but I can most likely attribute that to a "defective end user". We're looking forward to getting her back out on the road again very soon! Thanks, for all the great advice folks!

OrangeWing

Cityfire...
Good to see you got your rig... We finally ended up with ours too although from another dealer. Got a few different options while we were at it. I just posted our first mod today... Backsplash in the kitchen. We will be moving ours to austin area to live in full time so thats when it will get the real test. Stay in touch....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD