Happy Jack Bed Mounting Screws Stripping.

oscar

Last trip we came home with the beds caddywampus.

One of the rails had come off the wall the top three feet. There were 3 self tapping screws on the floor, and three more were half in, half out to the point where the upper bed wouldn't go up or down on that rail.

Today I was able to free the upper bed, and retrieve the remaining screws.

I was hoping that they had just worked themselves loose, but unfortunately they are stripped. Upon inspecting the other rails still on the wall I discovered that many screws are loose and that they will not tighten.

I suspect they were over torqued during assembly.

I did hit some nasty bumps in Virginia, but I expect stuff like this not to come apart.

Off to the hardware store to find an alternative.

oscar

OK, I was able to go one size up. Did require enlarging the hole in the rail slightly, but it worked. I hope it holds.

New rule is that the beds will be all the way up when moving and that there will be no weight on them. (They were down and the table was strapped to the upper bed when it came loose.)

Unfortunately I was unable to get the head of my large rivet gun deep enough in the rail or I would have put some 5/16x1" stainless steel rivets in there. Which is what they should be doing in the first place. Those would NOT come out.

jeffdee

It seems that stripped screws are a problem with Heartland assemblers. So far I have had to replace all the screws in the garage floor tool locker door; screws in the hinges on three bedroom cabinet doors; screws in the bracket holding the main entry door cylinder; and the screws holding the 50 amp shore power receptacle on the left side skirt. On the last camping trip I noticed a wall thermostat loose....stripped mounting screws. So far I have made my own repairs to avoid bringing in the rv in for warranty repairs, but it is still disappointing. I am going camping in two weeks. I will check the beds in the garage.

Thank for the heads up.