Oven

I tried to use my oven on our first trip and it was almost impossible to light the pilot. Eventually it did and I just assumed because we had never used it it took a few minutes to get the gas to travel. Anyways we got it lit and eventually the element to 350. But after a few minutes the element shut off. I wasn't aware of it. Eek. I need to bust out the manual again but thought I would ask if there is a trick to getting the oven element to stay lit???? There was no gas smell when I opened the oven. I have two freshly filled propane tanks. I was using the stove top at the time so I know there was propane. Just a little confused here!

danemayer

I think there's a thermocouple involved in the oven. When you hold in the knob, gas flows, bypassing the thermocouple so you can light the pilot (which everyone finds difficult to light). Keep holding the knob in for 10-15 seconds to let the thermocouple get warm enough that the propane flow continues after letting go of the knob. Once the main burner lights, if the propane supply is constant, it should stay on.

If for any reason the burners go out, the thermocouple quickly cools and the gas flow will automatically be stopped.

pegmikef

I tried to use my oven on our first trip and it was almost impossible to light the pilot. Eventually it did and I just assumed because we had never used it it took a few minutes to get the gas to travel. Anyways we got it lit and eventually the element to 350. But after a few minutes the element shut off. I wasn't aware of it. Eek. I need to bust out the manual again but thought I would ask if there is a trick to getting the oven element to stay lit???? There was no gas smell when I opened the oven. I have two freshly filled propane tanks. I was using the stove top at the time so I know there was propane. Just a little confused here!

What Dan said and another trick is to light a burner to bleed off all of the air so you aren't standing on your head trying to light the oven while it first bleeds the air off. Once the burner is burning correctly, then turn it off and light the oven.

Thank you! I will give that a shot. Good to know the gas flow shuts off! I was freaking out about that but I didn't smell any gas. Will go play with the stove today after I level it and slide out the slides.

I I really appreciate being able to ask questions here! What a great help this forum is! This forum is the reason we went with the rw. Just reading reviews here and tips and being able to ask questions! Oh and the quality and warranty was a big push in this direction!!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
When you light the pilot flame you need to turn the knob to "pilot" and then push the knob in to light it. I did not know that and spent hours one trip trying to get the dam thing to light until one Heartland camper told me the process. Saved my pot luck dinner offering that camp out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whp4262

Did just the main burner go out or the main burner and pilot light as well? The main burner should go out when it reaches temperature and relight itself when the oven cools down.