safety rear view camera

I'm looking into getting a rear view camera for my trailer. I'm actually interested in getting two cameras that I can utilize on one monitor. One for behind the trailer and one for the tow vehicle (licence plate frame type). I was told to get a monitor with 2 camera line-in jacks.

Looking for a 'low end' (price wise) system. Any referrals / advice would help.

Thanx, the Daddy

jimtoo

Hi Daddy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information.

I'm sure you will get some answers soon from the folks.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

whp4262

I'm looking into getting a rear view camera for my trailer. I'm actually interested in getting two cameras that I can utilize on one monitor. One for behind the trailer and one for the tow vehicle (licence plate frame type). I was told to get a monitor with 2 camera line-in jacks.

Thanx, the Daddy

rearviewsafety.com has some different camera packages that are pretty inexpensive. I bought a 3 camera system from them and mounted one on the back and one on each side of my Cyclone.

DonnyB007

Thanx, the Daddy

Magellan has a RV GPS that also has an option for back up. As soon as you put the truck in reverse on comes a picture of behind your trailer. I paid 190 for the GPS and the camera option is only about 150.

The other back up camera for the license plate was at Canadian Tire. That one cost me about 120.00 and has worked great in warm weather, but anything less than -10'C it is not reliable. I installed both units with not much trouble.

sengli

Most of these units I have seen, have such a small display, and the resolution isnt that great. I dont trust that there isn't something I dont see back there. So I send DW out back with a walkie talky and she is my eyes when backing up.

Anyone ever install left and right view backup cameras on side of long (32') rig? I just installed a wired backup cam
and is fantastic as my BH (better half) led us into a camp pole...so I wonder if installed L and R cams in the rear,
half way up the rig, in the middle of the rig, at the front high looking back of course?

any thoughts would ge appreciated before I start drilling holes....

Rich and Kate

whp4262

Anyone ever install left and right view backup cameras on side of long (32') rig? I just installed a wired backup cam
and is fantastic as my BH (better half) led us into a camp pole...so I wonder if installed L and R cams in the rear,
half way up the rig, in the middle of the rig, at the front high looking back of course?

any thoughts would ge appreciated before I start drilling holes....

Rich and Kate

I installed a camera on the left and right side of my Cyclone and one in the back above the door. The rear camera works pretty well and the side cameras are ok. I used them in Phoenix when I had to back out of a pull through camp site because it was to tight to pull forward, I was glad I had the cameras. If you decide to install them make sure you take your time planning the location and cable runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moor2it

New 5th Wheeler
rearviewsafety.com has some different camera packages that are pretty inexpensive. I bought a 3 camera system from them and mounted one on the back and one on each side of my Cyclone.

We're trading up from our North Trail and taking delivery of a 2015 Cyclone next week. I've been thinking about a 3 camera system like you described. I'm concerned about reception and reliability of wireless. What was it like drilling holes in your unit? Was it hard to run the wires and did the system have a quick-connection for the wiring?

Patrick in Harpers Ferry

Last edited:

whp4262

We're trading up from our North Trail and taking delivery of a 2015 Cyclone next week. I've been thinking about a 3 camera system like you described. I'm concerned about reception and reliability of wireless. What was it like drilling holes in your unit? Was it hard to run the wires and did the system have a quick-connection for the wiring?

Patrick in Harpers Ferry

I bought my system from Rear View Safety and had to buy a separate quick connect cable system so I could unhook the truck. Running the cable was time consuming but not that hard. You just need to figure out your frame work and plan the cable runs before you start drilling. I'm on vacation right now but my cell is 817-657-4788 and I would be happy send pictures or answer questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moor2it

New 5th Wheeler
Pictures would be great, thank you. But please don't interrupt your vacation. I won't be putting in the camera before the 28th if I do it myself. Do you think its a DYI or I should pay the dealer to install. I consider myself an average DYI'er but the idea of drilling holes into a $75K unit is a little daunting.

DonnyB007

I put a rear view camera in my truck right at the license plate. It just comes on when I put it in reverse. It is fantastic for hook ups as I am now bang on and never need a second person. It is wireless and runs like a charm. I always use it just for regular back ups too just to be sure I am not backing over something I shouldn't.

When I am close to places that have security cameras, my wireless signal picks up their units and I can see inside their stores and what not as I am driving along. In the winter, when it gets real cold, it does not work. But starts up again about -20'F.

It it took me about 3 hours to install myself. I am a DIY person and toll me some time reading and doing, but got her done!

pegmikef

Does anyone have any experience with or know anything about this camera? I am looking at this to put on the rear of my BH and possibly two optional side mounted cameras since the monitor accommodates four cameras. I am not interested in recording. I talked with the reps and they absolutely guarantee the 70 feet range and the camera will actually be back in stock the 24th.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/produ.../wireless-backup-camera-system-cigarette.html

wdk450

I installed a WIRED in rear center roof camera made from components bought at electronics stores and an online supplier for the monitor that clips in over the truck rear view mirror. Most security cameras run on 12 volts DC. No flickering, no interference, no picking up other signals.

My camera is pretty much aimed down for obstruction observation when backing in to a space. I can just see a car behind me when they are close at a stoplight.

One neat trick I wanted to share is when presented with a particularly difficult back-in, I put a 6 foot piece of dark PVC pipe I carry on the end of the middle of the RV space in line with the length of the trailer. When backing in I can see this marker on my video display and adjust the trailer backing angles accordingly to center the trailer over it. Maybe I will move up to a 50 foot length of yellow rope, so I can even set the incoming backing curve path. I am a solo RVer.

SilverRhino

I have one camera mounted on the headache rack of the FL that I use to help connect to the trailer. I really like the camera assist for hooking up, other than that, IMHO, they are just a distraction. If I am concerned about backing into a space or whatever, I just would not trust the view of a camera. I find that in watching the camera, you tend to focus on that and your eyes are not moving to check mirrors, etc. For us it just works much better to have my wife standing either in fron or at the rear of the rig. For the rare times that I have had to manuever the trailer when alone, I have always been able to find someone to assist.

Tried the camera route with our previous tow set up and really did not use it. One thing I have used is the driveway marker poles with the reflectors that you can purchase at the Big Box stores. I used to set one of those out for a reference point when I had to back the trailer into our storage facility, and found that to work really well. Just my opinions based on my experiences and preferences :)

Whatever ever you use....get out of your rig and check everything before backing.....go slow....don't be afraid to stop and get out to check!

Travel Safe!