What truck/hp do I need for pulling Cyclone 3612?

Rlhaak

I just purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3612 which weighs close to 14k unloaded and 18k loaded. My truck is a short box 2012 f250 with the 6.7 diesel. My problem is their doesn't seem to be enough power when pulling up any significant grade of hill. My understanding is the f250 has the same pulling power as the one ton f350. Anyone experiencing similar situation? Will a performance chip help the hp or pulling capabilities? Ideas please...

Robert

TedS

What is your rear differential ratio? You may need a higher ratio rear end.
Just to note: You are probably exceed the 250's load ratings.

MTPockets

Depends on the grade of the hill; if you experience downshifting on a long hill that's pretty normal. You may have the 3:31 gear ratio, at best the 3:55. My 3:73 Dully does fine, but still downshifts to climb a long grade. Your F250 engine is OK, but the truck is too light in payload capacity; not pulling ability.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Horsepower has nothing to do with pulling. You need torque/twist to pull. Your 250 probably has the 3:53 rear end or higher. That will kill pulling power with a heavy load. X3, your 250 is not enough truck for your CY. You are not legal by any means. Rear end ratio's are refered to as "higher" by an acending # number 3:53..3:23 etc..etc. Lower ratio's are refered to by a desending# 3:53..3:73..4:11 etc..etc.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the 2013 F350 DRW and have NO problems pulling our Bighorn up any passes or hills. I am able to set the cruise and just go. I have no upgrades or aftermarket tuners installed.

X4 on the F250 not being enough truck. Your pin weight is too heavy and overloading your trucks capacity.

Rod Ditrich

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ron, your 350 probably has 3:73 gears and that makes a big difference over 3:31's and 3:55's.

caissiel

Also the SRW have a larger tire diameter.
I sur noticed the difference when I went from 17 to 18 wheels.
No problem for me I just up the programer one notch.
To program a 6.7, there is no advantage under 2600 RPM. So towing is at 1700/2000 with 3.73 and much less for 3.53 or lower. 4.10 would be great if only they would offer it. But today's F250 are just designed as grocery getters.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

scottyb

The debate is usually between a DRW and SRW F350, concerning a 18K toy hauler. A F250 is usually not in the conversation.

Miltp920

So is it pretty safe to say 2500 for two axle toyhauler and dually for three axle? I was just in the transmission shop to schedule a fluid/filter change before towing season and when I told him I will be pulling 14000-15000 pounds he acted like I would be pushing the limits of my duramax 2500? So far locally, I have had no trouble pulling it. This year I am travelling hundreds of miles from home. Thinking about adding air bags. Can I ask if my 2500 4x4 crew cab duramax 3.73 G80 rear end is a good match for my 3100 Cyclone GVWR 15500?

sbryan

My 2013 F350 6.7 with 3.55 rear end pulls my 3795 (loaded weight about 16,000+) up and down the hills of Vermont with no problem at all. But as others have said, your 250 is overloaded with that kind of weight. I have the 20" SRW and have had no issues towing but a dually might give you more stability. I'm happy with the SRW even in heavy crosswinds and traffic - I think the shorter sidewall on the 20" wheels stiffens things up so it's almost as stable as a dually. But that's just a seat of the pants feeling. The real drawback of the SRW is if you have a flat you're flat - with the dually you have an extra tire to get you someplace safe to change it.

caissiel

I tow a 15500 lbs trailer with my programmed 2005 F2500. It tows like a dream with lots of power. Usually at 50/60% load most of the time.
But new Ford trucks including F350 are very weak in the rear end ratio and spring department. It's one of my hobby of observing spring setup and really observed some scary setup. It looks like most trucks are setup for smooth rides and when loaded to capacity, most ride on overload spring plies.
I know because I did add 2 more plies each side to soften the ride and get rid of the neck jolting rear ride loaded.
My 98 2500 GM could carry a 4000 lbs load and the ride was like a caddy.
So the Ford with same load was bending the springs so much it was scary that the main ply would break. Also my spring technician told me the F250s were his best customers and I needed to protect it.
Also the 225 HP 6.5 HP diesel GM with 4.10 ratio rearend and 245/16 tires had as much pulling power uphill as my stock 325 HP Ford.
That's my experience and I an sticking to it.

dave10a

I consider my trailer the max limit for my SRW diesel truck with a 3.55 rear end and 20 inch tires with max Ford suspension offered by Ford. It has pulled very well and stable for 17K miles coast to coast and border to boarder. My only concern is the trailer and its suspension and tires that are stock Heartland with Goodyear tires. The truck is designed to pull the trailer, the question is the trailer designed to be towed as well ;-) I have to say I have seen F250 diesel pulling trailers like mine and the owners seem happy with the truck and its capability. I do not know if they added after market suspension stuff.

sbryan

I feel the same way about my setup Dave. I wouldn't want to go any bigger or heavier on the SRW - I have the heaviest springs for the Ford, front and rear, and have been real pleased with the way it all works but would feel like I was pushing my luck if I went any bigger without going to DRW and a different rear end.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I just purchased a 2011 Cyclone 3612 which weighs close to 14k unloaded and 18k loaded. My truck is a short box 2012 f250 with the 6.7 diesel. My problem is their doesn't seem to be enough power when pulling up any significant grade of hill. My understanding is the f250 has the same pulling power as the one ton f350. Anyone experiencing similar situation? Will a performance chip help the hp or pulling capabilities? Ideas please...

Robert

That is a typical Ford problem if you ask me. I have a 2012 F350 DRW 3.73 gears and it is a gutless pig. It will not pull a hill. What i mean by that is it struggles to maintain speed and It typically loses speed pulling a overpass with 15klb behind it. The pickup will only downshift to 5th and/or unlock the converter if needed. On numerous times I have had to force a 4th gear down shift. Just to maintain 55mph. Understand these are East Texas hills. So they are very minuet in comparison to a very hill.

What has made the pickup decent at best to two with was adding a Banks tuner. I have it set for Tow and it has helped alot. The pickup will usually maintain speed up a over pass now.

Dodge is a far better suited pickup for towing in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I tow a 15500 lbs trailer with my programmed 2005 F2500. It tows like a dream with lots of power. Usually at 50/60% load most of the time.
But new Ford trucks including F350 are very weak in the rear end ratio and spring department. It's one of my hobby of observing spring setup and really observed some scary setup. It looks like most trucks are setup for smooth rides and when loaded to capacity, most ride on overload spring plies.
I know because I did add 2 more plies each side to soften the ride and get rid of the neck jolting rear ride loaded.
My 98 2500 GM could carry a 4000 lbs load and the ride was like a caddy.
So the Ford with same load was bending the springs so much it was scary that the main ply would break. Also my spring technician told me the F250s were his best customers and I needed to protect it.
Also the 225 HP 6.5 HP diesel GM with 4.10 ratio rearend and 245/16 tires had as much pulling power uphill as my stock 325 HP Ford.
That's my experience and I an sticking to it.

I disagree. My F350 handles 3,000lbs very well without any additional support. It does not sit on the overloads. They do get used as roads aren't smooth and my pickup does get to bouncing at times. I find that fault with the crap shocks on that pickup

Without any load on the hitch
vujupu5a.jpg

With just over 3,000lbs on the hitch
qeqapa6a.jpg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
That is a typical Ford problem if you ask me. I have a 2012 F350 DRW 3.73 gears and it is a gutless pig. It will not pull a hill. What i mean by that is it struggles to maintain speed and It typically loses speed pulling a overpass with 15klb behind it. The pickup will only downshift to 5th and/or unlock the converter if needed. On numerous times I have had to force a 4th gear down shift. Just to maintain 55mph. Understand these are East Texas hills. So they are very minuet in comparison to a very hill.

What has made the pickup decent at best to two with was adding a Banks tuner. I have it set for Tow and it has helped alot. The pickup will usually maintain speed up a over pass now.

Dodge is a far better suited pickup for towing in my opinion.

Wow, you must have a serious problem with your truck. I have the same truck, 2012 F350, DRW, 3.73, and it pulls our 16000 lb Landmark like there is nothing back there. Going up the fairly steep hills of SW Virginia it downshifts as necessary and holds 63MPH pretty consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk