Rope lights on the ground around an RV

btbaillie

There are many rv's with rope lights around on the ground in the park. Do these stop animals from getting under the unit or are they just for show? Or are they for some other purpose?

dbbls59

I think it keeps rodents away. We have never had a rodent get into our unit since we started using them. Mine come on a dusk and off at dawn. It may, however, just light it up so they can find there way in better.

GOTTOYS

See these a lot in AZ. I was told they were to keep Pack Rats away...Then I was told they don't work but they will make it easier for creatures to see what they're chewing on at night. I'm going with the latter. I think this will fit in the Deer Whistle, Dryer Sheet and Snake Oil category...Don

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
2psnapod said that rope lights around the bottom of the coach keeps small varmints away, so she was told. They are gate-guarding in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is kind of like putting a rope on the ground around your sleeping bag to keep the snakes away. It really doesn't do anything but it sure makes you feel better. We do it just to provide some light in those dark campgrounds. Also helps us spot the RV from a distance when walking back to the rig in the dark. We don't need it now since we mounted the LED rope light strip on the side of the rv just below the awning.

olcoon

We have been putting white rope lights around our 5er for the past 2 years while gate guarding in Texas, leave them on 24/7 and haven't had 1 mouse inside. I don't know if it actually works, or we have just been lucky, but until we get a mouse inside the camper with the lights out, we'll keep doing it. DW loves red, so we also have some red ones that I'll put out while in a campground to keep her happy, if we are going to be there for a few days.

danemayer

I thought they were to help you find your way home after playing Mexican Train late into the night.