Propane regulator issues

odiehog

I am relatively new to 5th-wheelin' and during our maiden voyage we had some problems with the propane tanks regulator. It would not automatically switch tanks when the first tank emptied. Since then I have heard that there is no fix. Anyone familiar with this issue? We pull a 2008 Cyclone. :rolleyes:

StevieWonder

I think you'll find the fix is to replace the regulator. Should be under warranty but won't help you until you get it fixed. I assume it works when you switch manually. A nuisance but tolerable for the very short term.

odiehog

Actually, switching the dial manually does nothing to permit gas flow from the second (streetside) tank. The only way to use the gas from the 2nd tank is to physically move it to the curbside position. Maybe just a bad regulator, as you say.

Thanks,
Steve

driver311

if u have it on auto how do u know when it switches and how do u know when both tanks are empty?????????????????

i leave mine on manual so i know when i have an empty tank

driver311:):)

donabel

Odie,
Is that a 3210?

The street side regulator on my unit started leaking. Heartland sent me a new one. I had to plug the streetside line until it arrived. Call them and they will send you a new one, or have them send it to your local dealer, if you have one, and let them put it on.

Don

We had the same issue with ours leaking and were on the road so called the dealer and said we had to replace it and they reimbursed us. We also bought a gauge for each tank at Camping World to tell us when the gas was low or out. They've come in quite handy now that we're fulltiming it and the cold weather. We still have the issue with only one side working so going to have to call the dealer and get that replaced. It's getting old changing the tank over to the only working side every three or four days.

odiehog

if u have it on auto how do u know when it switches and how do u know when both tanks are empty?????????????????

i leave mine on manual so i know when i have an empty tank

driver311:):)
You do have the red/green indicators to tell if gas is flowing from either side. I realized that I still had a full tank (streetside) when I lifted it down with the intention of refilling it. When I moved it to curbside, the GREEN showed and I was flowing again. Just wouldn't flow from streetside.

odiehog

Odie,
Is that a 3210?

The street side regulator on my unit started leaking. Heartland sent me a new one. I had to plug the streetside line until it arrived. Call them and they will send you a new one, or have them send it to your local dealer, if you have one, and let them put it on.

Don
Don, it's a 3795. I looked at the 3210 and liked it but the wife thought it might be too small. I think it would have been fine, but I'm OK with this one. With your leak, did that side still operate? I'm wondering if there is a safety shutoff if the regulator is leaking?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is one for somebody to figure out. My switchover is on the driverside in the Landmark (tank 1). The satelite tank on the passenger side is what I call tank 2. When tank 1 is empty it will auto switch to tank 2. Then tank 2 will work until only about 3 inches have been drained. I will then get a red empty indicator even though tank 2 is more than 3/4 full. I can move tank 2 to the tank 1 side and it works fine. Does this mean my regulator on the tank 2 side is bad? Also why do I need a regulator on tank 2 side when the hose flows into the switchover regulator assembly? One other question....I removed the hose which is attached to tank 2 and runs to the tank 2 regulator. I blew air through it and there was no airflow. I was told there is a "freeflow cutoff valve" in that hose. Is that true or what...I never heard of that.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Nevermind, I figured it out. I had a combination of problems. I had a bad doorside regulator, and supply hose from tank to regulator on both sides. Replaced them all and everything works better than new. I say better than new because it never worked right when new. Now it is working like it is supposed to.