Do You Feel Restricted on Where You can Pull Your Rig?

CrossWay

I have a 40' Heartland 5th wheel on order and I see a long bed, crew cab dually in my future. All tolled, this is a pretty long rig. I am concerned that I might feel restricted to staying pretty close to the Interstates for traveling. Or, do you all find that you can pull a rig like this pretty much where you want: like on State Highways, scenic routes and off the beaten path, in general? I hope this is the case, and that I just need to become comfortable with a rig of this length.
Thanks, Gene

jnbhobe

It doesn't bother me , I go pretty much where ever I want. If a semi can deliver his load I should be able to go where ever he can weather it be state or local roads.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a dually and stay off the beaten path (Interstates) if possible. The main concern when doing that is having room on the shoulder in case of tire or mechanical issues.

JanAndBill

Hooked up we are right at 64' and 13'-3" in height, so obviously we have to be aware of our surroundings. However it shouldn't be any different than an a motor home. Be aware that federal highway laws regarding clearances and or restrictions only apply to 1 mile off the interstate, and the state may or may not allow any type of larger vehicle. I was on a state road, last week that had a 10 ton bridge limit. Also, some overpasses may list clearance at 13'-6", but repaving may decrease your clearance significantly.

pegmikef

I think a lot depends on where you are traveling. In Texas many of our farm roads are better than a lot of state highways in other states. In some of the south western states I have no problem staying off the interstates, but in the rural parts of some of the others (e.g., New Mexico) I am leery of some of the secondary roads. I remember a few times having trouble pulling our tent trailer in some of the north western states once we ventured off the major highways. Some of the roads don't even have shoulders, but don't have any posted restrictions.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we travel back roads, we always use truck route highways. We bought an atlas from camping world that shows all the truck routes state by state which makes it much ez'r to stay within the heights (bridges/crossover roads) and length of our 41' camper and dually combo. Now with campsite length in state and national parks is a little bit different story. As these parks are starting to revamp their sites to accommodate longer rigs, you still have to due your homework on which parks will work with your rig.

danemayer

Our Landmark is 39' and we have a longbed crewcab truck. Length presents no problem taking the scenic routes. The only place we couldn't take the trailer was on the approach to Sequoia National Park - length restriction of 22 feet on the southern approach.

But to ensure we don't take routes with low clearances, we've been using Garmin GPS units for several years that have a Truck/RV configuration including height. Was using the DEZL 560 and now have the RV760.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our small (15K) town, many of the roads have trees that overhang the street. We can't, for fear of tearing up or scraping something, travel certain roads through town. (For instance, the direct-most path from our storage lot to our home.) We have a long detour we must take, and even then some streets we need to drive closer to the middle, to avoid branches.

alex00

You'd be surprised where you can take your rig once you are comfortable with the combination. I used to pull a 40' flatbed behind my dually with my 4x4 on it (it was a huge 4x4). I took that thing down some twisty roads with minimal lane width. I wasn't too worried about it. Once you learn where the rear axle of the trailer tracks for a given turn, you'll figure out that most lanes are wide enough for many of the curves. Most of the scary trailer roads around me have a warning advising against a certain kingpin to rear axle (KPRA) length. Even my 44' Cyclone is under many of the 35' KPRA restrictions.

scottyb

I'm far from pulling a 40 footer, but my big fear is getting fuel when I'm on the smaller roads.

Yes, it can some times be a challenge. I try to plan all my stops well in advance, but some times you just have to wing it. Having 60 usable gallons (67 gal tank) helps a little. I also try to plan all my routes and over night stops before leaving home. Leave the exploring for the TV after unhooking. I have made a couple wrong turns and ended up having to weave and dodge trees, and that's no fun. I have never had to back out a long distance yet, but it will probably happen some day.

The best one is when you visit a relatives ranch and try to describe in advance, your height requirements. They never quiet seem to get it until you arrive with the monster. Then out comes the ladder and chain saw.

mobilcastle

I put in an auxiliary tank to keep me going-when I fill I have 96 gal total on board-don't have to stop for fuel much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewwood

Like others have said pulling the rig down the highway is usually no problem. Most incidents occur in the campground or on narrow roads with overhanging limbs. Most low clearances are marked so just pay attention. Of course I remember the time the wife was up on our ladder watching the air conditioner as we went gently under a low railroad overpass. There was a guy coming from the other way and he just sat and watched the show.

sengli

Our coach is advertised to be 37', and we have a long bed. I think about the size of this rig when doing anything. Even the state parks we frequent, many sites arent set up for rigs our size. We usually scout out the place before we tow the trailer there.

oscar

Worst case scenario you dump the fiver in a mall parking lot and go get fuel with the TV…..flexibility is the name of the game.

Yes, you do have to look UP….all the time.

Attitude….the difference between adventure and ordeal…...

Westwind

To me the biggest problem is the tree limbs that overhang the secondary roads, we traveled some 4 lane secondary roads and still ended up with some scratches on the roof and awning on the door side of the Bighorn from tree branches etc. It's almost impossible for towns etc. to keep the stuff trimmed and you can't keep away from them on two lane roads.

Mrsfish

Attitude….the difference between adventure and ordeal…...

this 1 statement says it all. So many people make issues out of problems when you can simply accept that things will happen when you pull 14k pounds over roads, rocks and potholes. And before someone jumps in about GC - I expect things to need tweeking, tightening and adjusting, therefore I'm not disappointed when they happen. I get excellent service from my dealer because I treat them with respect, am patient and make sure to leave every encounter with a smile. We get A+ service. I always remind myself that no matter what is happening, I could be home cleaning toilets. In other words I choose to turn any lemon into lemonade and I love my life and my experiences. (And not all of them are short and simple- one day I'll share our story about 4 days in beaver Utah!) so, go have adventures:)

caissiel

Yesterday was on a road that lead to a closed park entrance. With the 39 FT BC and LWB extended cab F250 I was able to do a U turn while using the extra space of a driveway for the right front wheel of the truck.
Have done that many times with long unit and LWB truck. The difference between 30 ft and 40 ft is actually no more the 5 ft and the overhang at the rear takes the other 5 ft. Unlike a transport truck. So our 39 ft is actually easier to manouver then the previous 33Ft with short rear overhang.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

scottyb

That's why restricted roadways, especially in CA, use the measurement KPRA (King Pin to Rear Axle) instead of overall length. My 43' Cyclone has a 31' KPRA.