Intermittent activation

eddylives

Does any one else ever have their propane detector activate for no reason?
Since new ours will on occasion throw a fit to go off for no reason ,there has never been a propane odour detected and a leak test of the system shows its fine.
Given the location of the detector and the bathroom right beside it I have wondered if it was possible to have any type of gasses lmao from said sitting room affecting the unit.
Any ideas?

Garypowell

So will carpet cleaning solution. our first night in our first Rig in 1996 was miserable. The propane alarm kept going off....they had cleaned the carpets before we picked it up.

Keep track and do a cause and effect analysis.

wrgrs50s

Mosquito repellent with Deet can also set it off. I did'nt know about some of the other things that could set it off.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just about anything with a volatile constituent can set it off, if enough of it gets into the sensor. If you've had the propane system leak tested and are certain it's OK, then it might be the sensor is failing. You could pull it from the wall and check the manufactured date. It might not be the same as the date you bought the rig or it was installed.

ICamel

True dat John! Our SOB had the propane detector in the footwell of the dinette. Stored a box of mostly empty beer bottles in front of the detector and it set off the alarm. Removing the box eliminated further false alarms.
Just about anything with a volatile constituent can set it off, if enough of it gets into the sensor.......

eddylives

Thanks for all the replies.
I did not know that the propane detectors were sensitive to so many different substances.
I think I have my answer but will have to test the theory's when our camping season begins If winter ever gives up this year lol.....gotta love Canadian seasons hehe