Air Bags.

oscar

Chevy 3500 HD, dually, diesel. Cyclone 4100HD. Pin weight about 3600.

The load is ok. The truck is not squatting, everything is level. But we are riding on the "helper springs" and it is a pretty stiff ride.

Wondering if air bags would bring me up a little off the helper springs and whether they would be a softer ride…..

Any experience with that?

DocFather

I have the same truck (2013 Duramax) and 4100 (2014) and I installed the Airlift 500 System. Definitely a good match and a great ride. I tow at 50psi and 5psi empty. I also had Firestone bags on my last truck (GMC Sierra 1500) hauling 1700 # of Harleys in the bed and they were also wonderful. Either should do you well. I hope that helps.

oscar

Did you ever tow the 4100 without the bags? You think the improvement is there to justify the expense?

DocFather

Did you ever tow the 4100 without the bags? You think the improvement is there to justify the expense?

Oscar, if you are asking me that question, my answer is yes, in my experience. I think it is definitely worth the difference in the ride.

oscar

Ordered. $350 from Amazon. I also carry a 4500 pound truck camper and if anything, it will keep me from having to yell:"GET SOME SUNGLASSES" at the people coming at me at night…..;)

DocFather

Awesome. I have the Wireless controller. Sometimes I wished I had the under dash or on the dash mount controller. Let me know how it works out for you.

oscar

I assume that means you have an on board compressor. I have a 150psi pancake compressor in the forward storage in the 4100 for tires and the 5th airborne….. so that's an extra expense I don't need to have.

DocFather

I assume that means you have an on board compressor. I have a 150psi pancake compressor in the forward storage in the 4100 for tires and the 5th airborne….. so that's an extra expense I don't need to have.

Yes, I have the Air Lift 5000. The Firestone Bags I had on the other truck had filler valves above the bumper.

Miltp920

I got a price for air lift 5000 installed at a local custom shop for $1000 with wireless remote upgraded air compressor. Too much? How much hassle is it to go without the onboard compressor option. That is more costly than the air bags. I read someone got the 5000 to install themslelves for $350 on amazon.

GOTTOYS

I got a price for air lift 5000 installed at a local custom shop for $1000 with wireless remote upgraded air compressor. Too much? How much hassle is it to go without the onboard compressor option. That is more costly than the air bags. I read someone got the 5000 to install themslelves for $350 on amazon.
I mounted my airbag inlets right next to the trailer plug I installed in the bed of my truck. Found an adapter that converts the trailer plug to a cig. lighter style plug. I plug in my 12 volt compressor and and air them up right after I hitch. Not as nice as an onboard compressor but I only have to do this once when I'm hitching up. Works real well..Don

BandK

I had mine shipped free from suspension connection for $276. Piece of cake to install, I carry a small 12v compressor and fill them up after I hook up. On board compressor would be nice but I don't find it necessary.

Cjackg

I recently bought an Airlift 5000 kit w/o compressor for just over $300. plus there is a $50. mail in rebate .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

I bought a set and sent them back. I was trying to level out the 5ver and I was able to do it without the bags. Slight hitch adjustment. If I would have installed the bags the amount of lift needed was slight and would have kept me still riding on the helpers. Ride would be the same. I did not want the hassle of airing up and down since I did not want to install a on board air system. Keep in mind you also remove your jounces. If you don't want to do that you can buy airlifts with built in (jounces-hope I am spelling that right!) I think I would use airlift if I needed them. I don't know what your load is but you might be able to reduce your rear tire pressure to get a better ride-our ride quality has always been fine. Check your tire load chart if you know the axle weight when loaded.Good luck

TacoTom

I purchased the Ultimate 5000 Airlift Airbags (with the internal Jounce Bumpers)along with the keyfob and compressor, I got the whole system for approx.$600.00 then got a $100.00 rebate, the guy from AutoAnything told me that for the Ram they are real easy to install, basically bolt on...the hardest part he said was finding a place for the compressor and running the airlines.
Anyway i thought because of time I would ask the local dealer to install my "system" until he came back with a quote of $1300.00, I said WHATTTTTT!, the instruction estimate 4 to 5 hours, how could you guys be approx 10 hours...nevermind I will lay on my back in the driveway for that price....arrgggggg!

alex00

Tom,

I just installed airbags on my Ram and it really was a very easy process. If you are looking for a spot for the compressor, the area in front of the axle, between the frame and side of the bed on either side is wide open and a great spot to mount things. I stuffed my compressor and 2.5 gallon air tank in there with plenty of room to spare.

The airlines run along the frame, and cross members along with other wiring. You can get a line to the engine compartment for power very easily along the frame rails. There is no way i'd spend twice what my system cost for an install. I did it in an afternoon, and that involved running lines into the cab and fabricating brackets.

I purchased the Ultimate 5000 Airlift Airbags (with the internal Jounce Bumpers)along with the keyfob and compressor, I got the whole system for approx.$600.00 then got a $100.00 rebate, the guy from AutoAnything told me that for the Ram they are real easy to install, basically bolt on...the hardest part he said was finding a place for the compressor and running the airlines.
Anyway i thought because of time I would ask the local dealer to install my "system" until he came back with a quote of $1300.00, I said WHATTTTTT!, the instruction estimate 4 to 5 hours, how could you guys be approx 10 hours...nevermind I will lay on my back in the driveway for that price....arrgggggg!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used the 5000 bags and installed the compressor with the auto leveling kit. Was less than $800 and got back $100 from Air Lift and a T shirt. It took more than 5 hours, but well worth the effort. I love the fact that I don't have to do anything. The bags and compressor do their own thing and keep the truck at unloaded ride height.

2 things I found out. A 1 1/2 tn jack wont lift the back of the truck ('13 GMC 1 tn DRW) off the ground. Ya need 2 jack stands and lift 1 side at a time. The job is easier with the rear tires off. Also, with auto level kit...DO NOT wire it with power all the time. It will kill your battery in a few days. The system checks for level every 45 seconds.

Steve, the word is "bump stops" and they do have to be removed. I don't know if mine have the built in bump stops or not. Never had a problem with the bags letting the diff bottom out on the frame.

porthole

Retired
Oscar - you will be glad you did in the end. Although all of our light duty trucks are "designed" to carry the load, and in doing that the helper springs do come into play, I think it is more towards the non RV'r. If you are loading up your truck with a ton of stone etc for short trips or for that matter even hauling a heavy equipment trailer, most probably are not as concerned with the ride.

For those of us hauling "rolling earthquakes" for pleasure, the ride is much improved with the addition of air bags. Even at the minimal 5 psi unload pressure you are getting the benefit of an air ride.
Air bags help reduce some of the shock 5th wheels receive form the truck's suspension.

For me, with my F-350 DRW, when the Cyclone was loaded up, my truck was not on the helper tabs (but did hit them while traveling). But, my headlights were still shooting high and the truck was not level. That is somewhat an issue with the DRW having 2" lower spring blocks.

If you tend to load your Cyclone differently almost every trip, you will find adding on board air with some type of remote adjustment beneficial. We go from an empty trailer with minimal stores to the garage loaded with bike and cart, full water and stuff for 1-2 weeks away.

HornedToad

Rhino Linings installed my Air Lift 5000 airbags with bump stops for just under $600.
I'm sure the auto level is nice, but I carry a compressor so I didn't go to the extra expense.
I like the way they installed the valve stems in the license plate bracket.

Airbags.jpg

The Firestone airbags I installed on my F250 made such a big difference,
I added them to the dually before I ever hooked up.

Miltp920

Air bag question? I just put the Cyclone on the truck for the first time with the air bags. I would say the truck goes down 2.5 to 3 inches with the added weight of the Cyclone. Do I press up the air bag pressure until the truck is back to normal height without Cyclone, or just to 50-55psi. I took it to 75 psi and I was still not at normal height. Perhaps it is more about the truck and the 5er looking balanced than being at a given height. I did not get a 30 ft view of the hook up to see if it looked balanced. I thought I saw most people use about 50 psi. Anyone with air bags on a 2500HD using more than 50 psi?