Controlling both locks

Majestic

Finally got the remote to sync, wrong directions in the box.

the dead bolt locks with the remote but not the main locks, is there a trick to locking the main lock

danemayer

Hi Majestic,

On my door lock, one key operates the deadbolt. It comes in many keying combinations so that you're not likely to run into another owner with the same key.

The other key disables the handle that opens the spring-loaded bolting mechanism (non-deadbolt) so that pulling the handle doesn't open the door. I think that it's one of those keys shared by many owners.

I lock the door with the deadbolt and leave the other alone.

Majestic

Sorry, clarity isn't always clear. What the brain is thinking doesn' t always transfer to fingers

i installed a RV Loch v4 and trying to program it

danemayer

My keyless entry, which is the original shipped by Heartland in 2010, locks and unlocks the deadbolt. It doesn't do anything to the other striker. I would think the RVLock is the same, but you could call them to find out for sure.

rjr6150

Finally got the remote to sync, wrong directions in the box.

the dead bolt locks with the remote but not the main locks, is there a trick to locking the main lock

Gary
Watching this thread just installed mine today and was wondering the same thing.

RVLockSupport

It takes us a day or two sometimes to respond to your questions. We appreciate your patience. I hope that I am understanding you correctly. Are you wondering if the upper cylinder (paddle cylinder) is locked by the remote? The remote/keypad only actuates the deadbolt on your handle. If you want to lock your paddle as well, that requires the keys. Remember however, that the upper cylinder is there primarily for dealerships to lock all the trailers up on their lot using the same master key. The deadbolt cylinder however cannot be unlocked by a master key making your trailer much more secure.

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I am anxiously awaiting my new lock. We are camping with friends with a new SOB and found our keys will fit every lock in their new camper INCLUDING the deadbolt using our OEM keys. It will be noice to be a bit more secure!

Majestic

Hi Jim

i'm disappointed that the remote only locks the deadbolt, if that was clear on the RVLock website i would have searched for other options.

We lock both locks when we leave the unit anywhere and i would have thought that when you design something with a remote you have the technology in place that would activate both locks.

i guess i am getting frustrated with the RV industry were it appears so much is 80-90% done and the rest never gets finished.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I wouldn't be disappointed. The deadbolt is the most important lock to have on the system. We have had 2 RVLocks on the last 3 coaches (moved the locking system from one coach to another) and getting ready to install again a 3rd system on our new Landmark.

gebills

Using the OEM lock equipment is what is disappointing and infuriatingto us. I would expect that 99% andhigher RV owners would never touch another persons RV or possessions. However, it does make sense to be smart anduse common sense, knowing that there are those who will take advantage of anyopportunity they can to steal something. We simply wanted dooraccess keys that were not “a dime a dozen”, or keys that half the populationdoesn’t have access to. I finally orderedthe RVLock this past week now that we are fulltiming until we buy a newhome. I’m fine with the deadbolt being theonly remote controlled portion of the lock, added to which, the keys for theRVLocks are much less common or available than the OEM lock keys. When we leave the RV for the day, we typically only lock the deadbolt anyway. If we left the RV for longer than a day, Istill have the capability of locking the paddle lock with a separate key. We’re looking forward to the RVLock and haveexpectations that it will fit our type of use well, added to which, it will bean added level of security due to the much less common lock keys, IMO.

Riski

Using the OEM lock equipment is what is disappointing and infuriatingto us. I would expect that 99% andhigher RV owners would never touch another persons RV or possessions. However, it does make sense to be smart anduse common sense, knowing that there are those who will take advantage of anyopportunity they can to steal something. We simply wanted dooraccess keys that were not “a dime a dozen”, or keys that half the populationdoesn’t have access to. I finally orderedthe RVLock this past week now that we are fulltiming until we buy a newhome. I’m fine with the deadbolt being theonly remote controlled portion of the lock, added to which, the keys for theRVLocks are much less common or available than the OEM lock keys. When we leave the RV for the day, we typically only lock the deadbolt anyway. If we left the RV for longer than a day, Istill have the capability of locking the paddle lock with a separate key. We’re looking forward to the RVLock and haveexpectations that it will fit our type of use well, added to which, it will bean added level of security due to the much less common lock keys, IMO.

We got the RVLock with remote control and keypad. We use the deadbolt only and rarely use the key anymore. In fact, we leave the keys in our vehicles just in case the battery dies or weakens on the door. We have a back door and after getting the front lock from RVLock we've ordered a basic back door lock with the same keying as the front door lock. The beauty here is that I need only one key for the paddle and dead bolt locks for both doors. And, there is no OEM keying to have to deal with. :)

SeattleLion

The "top" lock is really not for security. There are a small set of keys that every RV salesman (and who knows who else) has that will open every single trailer's top lock. There would be no purpose in the remote locking that top lock.

danemayer

Hi Jim

i'm disappointed that the remote only locks the deadbolt, if that was clear on the RVLock website i would have searched for other options.

We lock both locks when we leave the unit anywhere and i would have thought that when you design something with a remote you have the technology in place that would activate both locks.

i guess i am getting frustrated with the RV industry were it appears so much is 80-90% done and the rest never gets finished.
I just installed the RVLock and found that the same key operates both locks on our unit.