Canadian Tow Max Tire Issues?

TravisJen

I've read a lot about Tow Max tire failures on the forum but I was wondering if any members from Canada have had any issues? It seems like the much higher ambient and road surface temperature south of the border would be a huge factor in tire failures OR maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into thinking I won't have any issues up here. Any input would be appreciated.

brianharrison

My thoughts are higher ambient and road temps are not a factor to differentiate between north or south of the 49th parallel. UV strength south of the border being higher may be a factor (UV rubber degradation), but I think that might be red herring as well.

Road hazards (pot holes, etc) may be a factor but I doubt we have any better roads here....:).

Taking care of the tires (covers, TPMS, proper inflation, alignments, etc) is paramount.

My thoughts,
Brian

MurrayN.

I ran my TowMax for four years on my Sundance basically just running from Sask to BC every summer plus a few lake trips thrown in and had no troubles at all. But I checked my air pressures religiously every day and do a walk around every stop. Last spring I got nervous about my good luck with them and replaced them with Maxxis tires. On my last trailer I had a blowout on the QE2 in Alberta doing 120kmh on a 35* day. I'm sure that the tire pressure was fine but the combination of ambient heat and high speed did it in.

caissiel

Never heard of any problems in my area neither. But most units are driven around NB.
I had more problems with ST because I always ran to Florida every year.
You might be right.
I tell everyone I meet here to watch tires and so far everyone seam to be ok. I know some tires are over 10 years old.
One old fellow with a 80's trailer for sale with original bias ply tires.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm on my second set of Towmax and have not had any problems. The first set were 4 years old and had 12,000+ miles on them. I have used a tire pressure monitor for years.

Majestic

Hey, there are good things about living in the cold north, less tire problem, after this long winter i started to forget.

We also had no problems with stock tires as long as you maintain them. Our new unit has upgraded axles, brakes and wheels. More a desire than a need for PT RVing, but we will be snowbirds in 2 yrs, 8 months, 18 days, ...hrs. Going to enjoy the heat and the tires will also handle it.

caissiel

Thinking about it, when I was running STs all my failures were in the south. None happened north of Georgia. Did all my southern traveling in the spring though.
Summer was up north.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk