Vinyl Flooring Concern

This Spring I have heard of numerous campers where the vinyl flooring has cracked and split really bad over the winter. I have seen pictures of 2 units, the flooring is destroyed. We did have a record cold spell this winter, but after doing some research I found out this isn't totally uncommon. I spoke with my dealer and they said they have seen the issue in the past a few times also. They didn't think they ran into this with a Heartland RV. Honestly the people I know that have had this occur, they own a different brand of RV.
Has anyone heard of this as a somewhat common thing?
What can I do in fall when I winterize the RV that may help to prevent this from happening?

danemayer

Hi Kevinrossler,

I'm not an expert on flooring, but I think maybe all vinyl flooring is not the same. Our Landmark and many (all?) Heartland RVs use Beaufloor flooring from Syntec. I think this is a multilayer material that is more flexible than some others.

GOTTOYS

Hi Kevinrossler,

I'm not an expert on flooring, but I think maybe all vinyl flooring is not the same. Our Landmark and many (all?) Heartland RVs use Beaufloor flooring from Syntec. I think this is a multilayer material that is more flexible than some others.
I've had three trailers do this over the years. It's very common in areas that get extreme cold. Simple to replace and not nearly as expensive as the several hundred or even thousand dollar bids you may get from a dealer. The flooring is loose laid during the build and the cabinets etc are set on top of it. There is no glue used. I can't imagine any glue would stick when it's 20 below zero anyway. Self sticking tiles won't work either. (Tried them) The problem is caused by expansion/contraction. To replace it you cut the old sheet out around the perimeter. Lay the pieces on top of the new sheet and use it as a pattern. Lay the new sheet in place and install 1/4 round around the edges to hold it in place. Total cost might be $100.00. I also used laminate flooring on one of mine with good results. I think the Beaufloor material used in the Heartlands may be more flexible and tolerant to extreme temp changes....Don