Fresh Water Tank

boatdoc

Alright, which one of you cowards stole my other 19 gallons of fresh water???
After a highly technical, 15 gallon drum and 3.3 gph 12 vdc pump, I am 19 gallons short in my tank as advertized. Trailer level and drain opened overnight, I closed the valve and started pumping. 56 gallons later I am chucker block full. The sensor, for what it's worth says 2/3 full. What gives??? This missing 19 gallons could be 2 more days of boondocking!!
Thanks

jbeletti

Perhaps 12 gallons in the water heater and 7 gallons in the bottom of the tank below the pickup tube??

Jim

boatdoc

Hi Jim, Nope, Water heater was full from previous fill up of fresh tank and fresh water pump turned on to fill W/H tank with kitchen sink hot water valve opened untill water flowed steady. Thanks

jbeletti

Morning Gary,

All I am saying is that the water heater volume is included in the published fresh water storage volume. Unless you drained it into your test vessel, I am suggesting you're not counting it. I know it sounds petty and I am not trying to be nit-picky, but I am guessing you may not have known how the total fresh water storage volume is calculated by Heartland.

Whether this is a Heartland specific thing or more how the rest of the industry advertises fresh water storage volume - I do not know.

Some on this forum have also calculated how much water is inaccessible at the bottom of the tank, just below the pickup tube. Due to the large surface area of the tank, this could be a few gallons.

Others will chime in here and help you on this. I'm just giving you a bit more of my perspective, not from personal experience but from reading hundreds of conversations on the topic.

Stay warm. :)

Jim

Hunter11

I think pretty much all the RV manufactures count the water heater capacity as part of the fresh water total. This is one of the reasons we are looking at the Heartland products because for the price range they seem to have one of the highest fresh water capacities.

boatdoc

I gotcha Jim. So if the manufactures would include a couple more little words in their brochure's it would help. I tend to be a total optimist, but as always, it gets me in trouble. Isn't it wonderful how " it's all in the wording".
Thanks Jim and keep up the great work with the site!!! Gary

Ragweed

Water Tank

We purchased a Bighorn 3055 in November 2007 and the water tank is one of the things being fixed at the dealers now. It would only hold around 15 gallons. Haven't talked directly with the person who fixed it, but was told that it was in there crooked.

We are very pleased with our unit so far, there were only a few things that I couldn't easily fix.
  • water tank problem
  • a leak in both lower corners of the bedroom slide, and one of the lockers doors.
  • a binding awning window by the dinette.
  • the control valve that allows controlling of a slides from going in or out.
The dealer had to order the control valve, and said it would be ready Wednesday or Thursday, which will make it 2 weeks, we will see.

Last edited: