Tire failure averted

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Tire inspections are must do part of breaking camp. A visual from afar isn't adequate either. One has to get down on the ground on their hands and knees, maybe even on their belly, to ensure their tires are safe for travel. I found this nail on the inside tread in one of mine! Pressure was still at the recommended psi. Flat tire or worse just waiting to happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397247714.383909.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397247714.383909.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 131

wino2

How true! An inspection will save a lot of time along side the road, let alone the cost of tires and repairs.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Pressure was still good. TPMS doesn't indicate there is a nail in the tire until you're going down the highway and the pressure drops or the tire blows.

Grey Ghost

I also have a TMPS system, but nothing replaces a good visual inspection prior to taking off and before taking of after each stop along the way. Like you said the TMPS will not notify you of a nail or a bubble. However, I love my TST system and my Michelin tires!!

caissiel

My TPMS indicates a leaker.
I drove 3 years with a nail and slow leak in one of my Freestar. Repaired and ran 2 years and now I have no clue where it is.
Today I get a leaker message so I watch the pressure every morning cold and it runs great warm. Love my setup.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tire inspections are must do part of breaking camp. A visual from afar isn't adequate either. One has to get down on the ground on their hands and knees, maybe even on their belly, to ensure their tires are safe for travel. I found this nail on the inside tread in one of mine! Pressure was still at the recommended psi. Flat tire or worse just waiting to happen!

I was told when we had a screw in our tire at this same location that it was not recommended to patch and use
y4y7egad.jpg
-- too close to the sidewall--so only use as a spare.

We've since replaced all 5 tires but I only ran it one time, no more than 20 miles.

caissiel

Have over 6k miles on one of my G tires.
Maybe STs would not have enough rubber there to be dependable. I would also try it on LTs.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I do run my hands over the tires and crawl underneath to inspect them and eyeball the springs. Two days ago I was out at the storage yard doing some maintenance and checked the tires. All four were holding 110 psi after sitting over the winter. Next time out, I'll check the spare's pressure since I didn't get to it this time. Freestar G-rated tires, mold date 5207.

olcoon

In 2003 I bought a brand new Chevrolet 2500. About a month after buying it I came home & found a locust thorn in the sidewall. How it got there I have no idea, as I hadn't left pavement. I looked at it, & thought hard about what to do. I didn't want to have to buy a new tire for a new truck. Finally, I was hoping that it hadn't gone all the way through, and pulled it out...wasn't that lucky. I went ahead & plugged it, as I was too lazy to change it. The plug held, and lasted until I replaced the tires. I know I was lucky, and it could have been a bad deal, but it never leaked at all!