GMC Truck ???

jonesj2

OK here we go quick down and dirty. I currently have a 2004 GMC 2500, 3:73 gears, 6.0 engine, crew cab, short bed, no 4x4. Owners manual shows pulling capacity for 5th wheel 10K. Looking to purchase a Sundance 2900MK weight is in the neighborhood of 8500 LBS dry and a hitch wgt of 1874. Does anyone see a problem pulling this unit with my current truck?

AVid

The Heartland web sites states the 2900MK is 8,128 dry and 11,685 loaded to the max. That means the real weight of the unit is somewhere between the two. A good guess would be half way, which puts it at 9906. A little too close to your max with your truck. You probably could get away with it, I personally don't think you will be happy with the way the truck performs. Won't accelerate real good, won't slow down real fast and might be a real handful in a crosswind.

Good Luck with your decision,
AVid

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
That pulling capacity is for pulling a trailer. The fifth wheel towing capacity is much higher. I have a 3670 Big Horn and have no problem towing my fifth wheel. You need to check out the link on Heartland's site for towing capacities and check out the fifth wheel towing charts. GM also has a towing brochure, which lists the different capacities based on whether you are towing a trailer or a fifth wheel. You also need to base your capacity on GCW and pin weight. You will need to cruch some numbers and weigh your truck and trailer to arrive at the numbers that relate to your unit and your particular vehicle. I see no reason why you cannot tow that unit with your truck. Like I said, I have been pulling my Big Horn with my GMC 2500HD with no problems at all, and I know there are many others that are towing their rigs with the same truck you have.

snuffy

But the 6.0 is a gas engine and doesn't have the torque of the diesel. An acquaintance had the same truck and pulled a trailer of about 8000 lbs. and he ended up trading for a diesel. You can always try.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would recommend moving up to the Duramax/allison. You will get better fuel milage and you get the trans braking, kinda like a Jake brake. You will have more power than you will ever need. Ours pulls the 14K coach like it not there and stops great. I dont think that you need a 1 ton. Bob,Pat and the :eek:cat

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Darn. I am working nights. 7days, 13 hrs a day, so totally missed that it was a 6.0. Sorry. I have to agree, the Duramax/Allison is the only way to go.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
P.S, the tow rating on your truck is low because of the engine and trans combo not because of the truck. Bob