Mod for Honda Generators

olcoon

I wasn't sure where to put this, so the general area wins. I was playing with You Tube tonight & found an interesting "mod" for the Honda EU1000i & EU2000i generators, to have additional run time from an external fuel source. Looks pretty easy & cheap. Here is a link to the video.

alex00

I like that he used the petcock to modify the cap. The drawback to other methods I'd seen were the fittings on the cap not being closed when not hooked to the extended run tank. Cool find.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I built something similar to that sometime ago. I bought two new Honda caps from a Honda repair shop. Drilled out the center of the caps. Tapped them with a brass fitting and a quick disconnect fuel line connector for outboard motors. I put in a T to go to a single hose. I have a bulb pump in the middle of the single line to prime the lines then connected it to a quick disconnect to a 6gal marine tank. I have use this 2 times that I remember. I don't have a built in compartment but set them on the ground or in the bed of my TV. I plan to make a place to bolt them to the bed of my truck when I want to use them so they will be difficult to "permanently borrow". I will show a photo if anyone is interested, but this one in the link is great. I wish I knew about the petcocks before I made mine but I like the marine tank better than an open gas can.

FWIW
BC

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I saw that You Tube video yesterday also great Idea. But did you also see his video on making a parallel cable for a pennies so you can run 2 small suitcase style gennies also. To top it off he also used 2 of the cheaper Honda 2000, both with just 110v receptacles. Did not use the Companion 2000 with 30 receptacle, made his own with the homemade parallel connector.