Step Supports

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought a set of the Camco step supports for my rig to remove the flexing that occurs when you put weight on the bottom step. Unfortunately, I find that they can't be left attached to the bottom step of the four step system. It will prevent the assembly from folding enough to stow the steps. A relatively minor inconvenience since we don't move the rig over the summer, but it would be a problem for those that move around a lot.

Gizzy

Installing the 4 step was one of the first things I did (we both have bad knees). I installed the fold up support on the second step since the bottom step just flipped up anyway. Steps fold up just fine for over 3 yrs so far.

wdk450

I bought a set of the Camco step supports for my rig to remove the flexing that occurs when you put weight on the bottom step. Unfortunately, I find that they can't be left attached to the bottom step of the four step system. It will prevent the assembly from folding enough to stow the steps. A relatively minor inconvenience since we don't move the rig over the summer, but it would be a problem for those that move around a lot.

John:
I put one of those on my steps very early on, and figuring out where to put it so that the steps could still fold was a chore, but I did it. I might have bent the edges of the bottom foot in some (as that is the way it is now). I know that the foot has to be all the way at one end of the underside of the bottom step when stowed. I may have bent and maybe hacksawed the lip of the upper step that was catching on the step support to clear so I could close the steps.
I am going to the RV storage yard tomorrow morning and will try to take some pics for you.

JohnDar

That would be a big help, Bill. Part of the problem is that reinforcing fold down the center of the steps. A little reengineering is in order.

JohnDar

John:
I noticed you said "A SET of these supports". What I am talking about is a single foot support. Here is a link: http://tweetys.com/step-stabilizer-jack-support.aspx

Same thing, Bill. I got two so that I could support both sides of the step, rather than create a pivot point. Re-engineering wiii have to wait, along with a lot of other things. I'm going in on Thursday for some abdominal surgery (colon polyp surgery) and will probably be out of action for a week or two.

wdk450

Same thing, Bill. I got two so that I could support both sides of the step, rather than create a pivot point. Re-engineering wiii have to wait, along with a lot of other things. I'm going in on Thursday for some abdominal surgery (colon polyp surgery) and will probably be out of action for a week or two.

John:
I'll get going soon to take those pics (and turn on the refrig for tomorrow's trip start).

Sorry you have to have the polyp surgery. I think that having surgery for this is kind of rare. Get well soon, the forum needs you and your input!!!

My trailer also stays parked in one spot most of the summer, I built a set of steps that I just skid out of the way when I move the trailer. A lot nicer to step in & out of the trailer then the trailer steps, just throwing it out there as an option.

wdk450

John:
Here are the pics from my trailer. I just use one support at the center of the bottom step. I think this takes a lot of the stress off of the steps system. One is enough trouble to adjust to ground height each time you set up. 2 supports would be twice the work.

First pic is just of my installation. NO cutting was needed for this, just the support foot has to be adjusted out so it is near the rear edge of the step tread for folding up the steps. 2 holes drilled in the bottom step mounts the support.
018.jpg

The next 2 photos are for EVERYBODY with the 4 step steps assembly that has it continually jam while folding it up. I found that it was jamming (both my old set that I got with the trailer and messed up in a "rubbing the fencepost" accident, and my new "insurance claim" set of steps) at the front and back corners of the bottom lip of the top step. I used pump pliers, a hammer, and vicegrips to bend the catching top step metal back inwards, out of the way. I don't think that this compromises the strength of the step assembly in any way.
Top Step Rear (left) corner: 020.jpg Top Step Front (right) corner: 019.jpg

The steps as shown are part way folded up to show the corrected interference with the lower step's corner and stop button.

Gizzy

I don't understand why you had to bend the steps to get them to fold up easily. We have never had any problems folding our 4 step. As far as the support goes, it would be useless to install it on the bottom step since it would not provide any support from there since that step just flips up. Installed on the second step allowed for good support.

wdk450

I don't understand why you had to bend the steps to get them to fold up easily. We have never had any problems folding our 4 step. As far as the support goes, it would be useless to install it on the bottom step since it would not provide any support from there since that step just flips up. Installed on the second step allowed for good support.

Re: the folding steps jamming: Like I said, I have had this folding problem with 2 different sets of folding 4 steps from Elkhart Tool and Die ( http://www.elkharttool.com/quad_rv_steps.html ). It usually rubs some and you have to force it to fold up. Anybody else out there have this problem, or am the only guy this is happening to ?

RE: Putting the support on the 2nd step - Maximum length for the support is 16 inches, so you would have to use blocks for it ALL the time if it was attached to the 2nd step. I step on my steps without the support and can feel them flex down. I don't feel that with the support in place. Maybe it does its most work on the bottom step which has the most stress due to leverage.

Gizzy

Bill,
Our steps have an Elkhart Tool label on them and like I said, no problems folding them for the past 3 years and MANY uses (24,000 coach miles). Maybe we got lucky with ours. I am curious to see the replies you get about problems with the quad steps.

As for the support, I am referring to it being attached to the 2nd step from the bottom. On level ground, it works just fine. Once in a while on the odd occasion (due to terrain) I might have to put a small 2x4 block under the support, but that does not happen often.

I agree about the flex without the support. I could see there being stress problems with long term use w/o the support.

Cynusps

We have thought about changing our step to the 4 steps because of the distance between steps for me, especially the first step. What do you recommend?
Also, what would be causing stress if using the 3 step? I didn't understand that portion.

JohnDar

Well, I experimented some more the other day and there's still no way my 4-step will fold if I put the supports on the bottom step. And mounting them to the second step is beyond their range. But all is not lost in this endeavor for support. I have two screw jacks that I used to put under the frame in front of the tires (on blocks) in the pre-Ground Control days. Those will work nicely under the second step, without blocks (maybe a plank of wood so they don't dig into the mat). They just won't have the convenience of being attached and ready to deploy. Shouda, woulda, coulda thought about using those before buying the new ones. Look for a set of the mountable supports to be on sale at the 2015 Goshen Rally.

View attachment 29682