Jack antenna full install replace crank up

Miltp920

Although I did this on a Cyclone, it applies to any camper. Maiden voyage, I left the antenna UP and a low tree branch ripped it off the uprights..that is another story.lol. so, upgrade antenna.
My install. Started on top, but you could take apart the interior first.
Just need a screwdriver or drill driver for this part.

Attachments

• 1511-2.jpg
    1511-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 1513-1.jpg
    1513-1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 227
  • 1512-1.jpg
    1512-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Miltp920

Re: Jack antenna full install replace crank up antenna

On top, I used paint scrapers to protect rubber roof. Prybar was helpful removing old antenna. I bought dicor and tape seal from my RV store. I used one tube dicor and half a roll of seal tape on job. I also bought this white Jack antenna mounting plate for $20. It helped cover the old Antenna holes. I tape sealed over the old screw holes from old antenna in roof, and a few rings on the underside of the plate. I drilled an extra hole for the cable and power for signal meter in the roof and the plate. My roof hole was big enough for antenna turn device. Oh yeah, there was NO insulation in roof gap!. You may have to make hole in roof bigger.

Attachments

• 1516-1.jpg
    1516-1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 1517-1.jpg
    1517-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 1508-1.jpg
    1508-1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 1506-1.jpg
    1506-1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 1507-2.jpg
    1507-2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 1502-1.jpg
    1502-1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 1503-1.jpg
    1503-1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 1495-1.jpg
    1495-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Miltp920

1551-1.jpg1550-1.jpg1503-1.jpg

1495-1.jpg1504-1.jpgAfter I put the plate down on roof, I added the screws from the old antenna to the plate. I tried to hit the screws into that line of tape sealant on the bottom of the plate. Then I put a tube of dicor around the plate and covered every screw. Then the inside cover. make sure you can get the knob on the post coming from Jack on roof before you drill screw cover base to ceiling. I was able to use the same cable ceiling plate over by the TV. It already had a button to push to send power to antenna. Booster button, i think it is. Lights came on the Jack signal meter by positioner cover. You can see hole the signal power line comes into bedroom from roof and connects to signal meter. All that and first test = 8 channels sitting in my driveway.

Last edited:

Niles

Re: Jack antenna full install relace crank up

I wish they would of had that mounting plate when we replaced ours. That would of helped a bunch.

Miltp920

That plate was not included in the Jack box. That was $20 extra at my RV store, and I stumbled across it by luck. They had some Jacks on display, and there it was. I was just shopping for dicor.
The box had the Jack antenna, a 6 inch extension for if you have a thicker roof gap, and the white positioner with signal meter that attaches to ceiling. And instructions for new install, not replacement of existing unit.

The plate that I bought seperate had the bolts to mount Jack to plate. No screws to mount plate to roof.

I wish they would of had that mounting plate when we replaced ours. That would of helped a bunch.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I replaced my Batwing with a JackTV antenna this summer . . .

Now, I just bought the antenna ($40 at Camping World) and mounted it to the Batwing mount, which came with the trailer.

I immediately picked up at least 30 more channels in my side yard than I did with the Batwing . . . now I get over 70 TV channels parked at my house!

And up in the mountains it definately picks up channels where I never got a single channel before.

Took me less than 5-minutes to switch the antennas . . .

If you have the Batwing . . . go buy the JackTV antenna and never look back!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
X2. Sitting in my yard zero channels, $49 JackTV replacement all the local channels available!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I too did a total replace after destroying the batwing. The Jack antenna would be a great addition as standard or upgrade on a new rig. In my driveway I am picking up channels I never could get before and from quite a distance away.

Rodbuster

I too did a total replace after destroying the batwing. The Jack antenna would be a great addition as standard or upgrade on a new rig. In my driveway I am picking up channels I never could get before and from quite a distance away.

Hi, Would you be (or would somebody be) good enough to give us an example of "quite a distance away".

I'm trying to see if it's worth making a change.

Thank you
Dick

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
75 air miles to the Wilkes barre/Scranton PA media market to the northeast of my house. Last trip out using on air tv pulled Syracuse ny stations while parked in penn yan ny.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I also replaced our factory bat wing antenna with the Jack antenna head on the factory arms and love the additional reception we get. What would be nice however would be to have that signal meter in the base to help zero in on the air wave signal.

Rod

hapjack

Hard lesson !!! what I did is make a hook put it on the handle and hung my truck keys on it
problem solved:angel:

Gizzy

I also replaced our factory bat wing antenna with the Jack antenna head on the factory arms and love the additional reception we get. What would be nice however would be to have that signal meter in the base to help zero in on the air wave signal.

Rod

I have the signal meter installed in-line at the bedroom TV so I can see it while turning the antenna. Works good for me.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I am south of Detroit and am receiving all detroit and toledo stations. I also was at a park recently that in the past I received only 4 stations ( others in our group also got 4 or 5 channels) and this year the number was 27

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have the signal meter installed in-line at the bedroom TV so I can see it while turning the antenna. Works good for me.

That is exactly what I have too. The difference with that, is you first have to have a tv station that will come in, even if grainy, where with the signal meter on the bottom of the Jack Antenna on the ceiling of your coach, you just spin the Jack antenna until the signal meter registers the highest signal, then program your channels. But, I am not a good example, since I went the cheap way and just purchased the Jack antenna for my crank up arms and do not have that feature. I think it would be a cool feature, but wasn't wanting to spend the additional $100.00 at the time. Now I think I wish I would have spent the extra $. That is just MHO.

Rod

MikeR

There is an App called TV Antenna Helper Free that locates TV stations on your smart phone or tablet. It shows, using Google Maps where the signals are coming from. It identifies the stations by channel number and network also identifies signals as strong, moderate, weak and very weak. Knowing where the signals are coming from helps in setting the antenna in the right direction. It works for me.

Rodbuster

I tried typing different versions of "TV Antenna Helper" and my smart phone told me that there was no such app.

I figure that I must be doing something wrong, but just in case, Would you give me the "exact" name of the app to type in.

Thank you
Dick

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought one of these at Camping World ($34 online):

TVsignalFinder.jpg

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/king-surelock-digital-tv-signal-finder/68416

I have it connected to the wall plate and the TV in the livingroom of our trailer . . .

I used to spend a half hour or longer trying to find TV stations . . .

Now, it takes just a few seconds to locate the TV signals!

It comes with a 9-volt battery, but I suggest getting a good one as I only got one use out of the supplied battery.

Worth every penny!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use an app for iPhone called "TV Towers". Shows a map of your location and all the tv towers around (and what affiliate ABC, FOX, etc). As you touch a tower, it shows it's broadcast area. It uses the phone's compass to help you determine a good direction to point the antenna.