Had a question for general area

diesel_doberman

I wanted to ask a question and it would not allow me. Said I didn't have enough permission to start a topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diesel_doberman

It wouldn't allow me in the other area.

I have mouse droppings in my camper. Just a few. Is this a problem for a lot of people when parked for winter? I put out some PB traps but was wondering if there is anything people do for preventative. We do not store food in our camper either.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had mice camping in the rig, but since I've been spraying the frame and anything that touches the ground with MouseFree, they ain't been back. Also controls crawling insects from climbing aboard.

olcoon

For the last 2 years while gate guarding in Texas, we've put the white rope lights all the way around the rig, so that anything that touches the groundis inside the rope lights, & leave them on 24/7. We never had any mice in the camper, also we never saw any snakes, but I don't know if the rope lights had anything to do with that or not. Both times we were in areas (basically in cow pastures) where we "should" have had mice. However I don't know if you'd want to do this while storing the rig for the winter, could run up your electricity bill.

JohnDar

Just to follow up, here's the link. The stuff isn't cheap, but it DOES work. I bought the 2-gallon set, with the sprayer. I've sprayed my rig twice and still have plenty to do it again this year. You don't need to apply it heavy and spraying just the exposed frame and struts seems to do the job. It also helps if you've previously sealed up all holes and gaps with expanding foam. I had done that during our first season, but they still found ways in. I use my 3-gallon air nailer compressor to spray it.

http://www.mouse-free.com/

evolvingpowercat

A rodent can enter any opening that is the size of a dime or larger. look under your rig and chances are you will find openings where gas lines, water lines, etc. are not completely sealed that you can close up with foam spray or caulk.

diesel_doberman

It's just so annoying. I have set traps and still have caught nothing. I will check the bottom which will be hard due to the "arctic shield" and buy the mouse free spray... My wife and I worked hard to buy our first camper and these free loaders are trying to ruin it!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thibideau

Had mice our first season, then someone told us about dryer sheets. Have used Fleecy or Downy dryer sheets the past 5 seasons and have not seem evidence of these little rodents since. Put one in every drawer and closet.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I had one mouse the first winter. Initially, I had deployed a few mouse traps inside and bait stations on the ground near each tire. I sealed up all of openings with spray foam right after I caught the first one. Deployed enough mouse traps to make it look like the scene from the movie mouse hunt and have not had any evidence or mice since the spray foam and mouse trap deployment. Checked the bait stations occasionally the first year and had some outside activity. This past winter, I did the same setup and had a bit of outside bait station activity just the first couple of weeks and then no activity since.

The storage place that I use, uses the same bait stations all around all of the storage buildings, too.

01270301.jpg
Ok, so maybe not quite this many traps.

porthole

Retired
We have been using dryer sheets. I get the name brand, from Costco when I get bleach. Use most the whole box, spread tehm everywhere, carpet liek in some areas.
No rodent problems and the trailer smells good when we do the spring opening.

JohnDar

My experience with using dryer sheets was the mice used them for toilet paper. Poop and urine stains on most of them. Did the peanut butter snap traps and caught a few, as well. Our cats would go on alert when the critters were scurrying under the cabinets and even caught a couple (or just scared them to death). Once I started using the MouseFree, no more mice.

tmcran

My experience with using dryer sheets was the mice used them for toilet paper. Poop and urine stains on most of them. Did the peanut butter snap traps and caught a few, as well. Our cats would go on alert when the critters were scurrying under the cabinets and even caught a couple (or just scared them to death). Once I started using the MouseFree, no more mice.

I have used about ever dryer sheet they make. The mice love em. I can't stand the smell. I have had best results by using expanding foam and tape to seal as many holes as possible. I have had better luck with traps baited with peanut butter. I have had fair results with peppermint oil. They are an on going problem.

porthole

Retired
My experience with using dryer sheets was the mice used them for toilet paper. Poop and urine stains on most of them.

Funny.

I forgot, I also bought a pack of the electronic "pest repellant" gizmos from Costco. 2" square and only about 1/2" thick. Don't really know if they work, but for $20, they stay in the trailer year round in the out of the way outlets and the rest in the main living areas.

Something works ...............

diesel_doberman

Well my traps caught one. I left three still in there with some crunchy peanut butter. Inlaws camper is parked right next to ours and haven't had an issue. Hoping it was a one time thing. We may by the mouse free just to be safe.