Taste of Ice Cubes in new Bighorn

Draco Dog

We are new members of this website and so glad to have found it.

My husband and I just purchased a 2008 Big Horn 3670RL. We love it.

We, like many folks, started out small. I mean the tent. (oh, too old for that type of camping now.) Then we went to a 15' trailer, then a 21' trailer, then 30' foot. Now we have purchased the 38' Big Horn. We took the Big Horn out for a "trial run" last week and had no major complaints.

We plan on retiring the 1st part of next year. Selling our home and living in our RV full time. Can't wait.

I love this trailer. The full king size bed, the living room furniture, the fireplace. (you have to have a fireplace, right??? lol). the counter space is beyond belief, the 2-door fridge, etc.

The only question I have is-----we are finding that the taste of the ice cubes in the ice-maker has a rather bitter taste. And ofcourse, that effects the flavor of the drink that the ice cubes are used for.

Any answers as to how to get rid of that flavor. I know this sounds petty, but I use ice cubes in almost all my drinks (from orange juice to pop), and that makes good tasting ice cubes essential. lol.

Take Care.

Niles

We found on ours after a while the taste goes away. Guess it's just that new plastic and all. We also use a house type water filter on our city water hook-up, which helps take some of the funkie taste out of some of the camps water. We even use this filter when we fill our fresh water tank. But ain't it great sipping ice cold tea in front of the fireplace!!!:D:D

Draco Dog

ice cubes---icky taste

Niles, thanks for your help. I am wondering. How long did it take for the icky taste to go away?

("sipping ice cold tea in front of the fireplace". yea, ain't life grand.)

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
It will get better soon, it took about a month for the taste to go away in ours. That was with constant use. Had to throw away the ice as I could not stand the taste of the Ice or the water.

Don

Niles

I agree with Goldwingers, about a month and if it still taste bad might be the water from the campgrounds.

Draco Dog

icky ice cubes

Thanks to you all for your help. Guess I can throw away ice cubes for a month. I did think that originally it was the water from the campground we were at. But the water for the ice cubes is now our home water. We live in Oregon and better water than here would be hard to find. So I'll just bide my time. Can't wait. That ice tea is calling me. Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

lhetsler

Refridgerator filter

The best way to get rid of that taste is to use a charcoal in-line filter. They have them at Lowes for $12. They have slip grip connectors at both ends. You can access the ice maker line through your sewer hose storage area. Just cut the line and insert both ends of the line into the filter paying attention to the water flow direction, follow the arrow. I glued a wool block to the frame and fastened the filter to this. These filters are good for a year. You will have no more trouble with bad tasting ice. Be sure to remove the lines from the filter before you winterize. You just push in the little collar on each end and the line will release.