ATF: North Trail - Axle Camber

siegelte

I have a 2011 26LRSS. I was inspecting the axles today. I found that on the curb side the front axle has substantial negative camber and the rear axle has some positive camber. On the road side the situation is just the opposite. The front axle has some positive camber and the rear axle has substantial negative camber. As far as I could measure with limited tools the axles seemed to have the same arch so I am puzzled as to where the very different cambers come from. Overall the tire tread looks good, but the curbside rear tire with the positive camber is worn more than the other three, especially on the outside. I have not noticed handling problems. Should I let it ride and just watch the tire wear or should I have the axles checked out?

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 45

Manzan

Have them checked out. I found out my 2011 21FBS had a bad axle on my first long trip. Dealer (and Lippert) replaced it, did not like what they saw and replaced the other. Found out the axle was bad due to some bad tire wear, but on the inside edge of the rear, curb side tire. Put my had across the tread while checking tire pressure. Worn down to the cords so worse than yours.

berky

I'm not sure I would jump right to questioning the axles. With most of the axle problems that have been discussed, the tire wear asymmetry has been severe.

Could it be something as simple as the trailer not having been backed straight in before checking the camber? It might also be that the shackle bolts need tightening or the wheel lug nuts have loosened.

We have a 2012 26LRSS, which I'll be pulling from storage this weekend. If I have the time, I'll check the camber on ours. What simple method did you use to check the camber?

Rogue9

I have a similar problem with just the rear axle on my 22FBS. Just brought my trailer back from a long winter storage and found the rear axle tires are severely worn on the inside edge. We used the trailer 3 times last year and put in it storage. The last trip was a 1,000 mile round trip and I suppose this is where the main wear occurred. Didn't notice it driving and didn't look when I put it in storage :( My dealer says they only provide 90 days for adjustment and Heartland says only Lippert can review for warranty. The frame/alignment shop I spoke with said it is typical to have them out of alignment from the factory. Now I have to get a $400 alignment and 2 new tires...so much for buying a new trailer.

siegelte

Thanks for the input, everyone. In my case it seems that having turned the trailer as I backed it into it's parking place was the main reason for the results I was seeing.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Now I have to get a $400 alignment and 2 new tires...so much for buying a new trailer.

If you have the TowMax (aka - BlowMax) tires . . . you might just want to replace them all with another brand!

There are many topic threads here about these tires and which ones to get!

Rogue9

If you have the TowMax (aka - BlowMax) tires . . . you might just want to replace them all with another brand!

There are many topic threads here about these tires and which ones to get!

I have Trailer King ST Radials Made in China. The Frame shop recommended Maxxis.