Looking for ideas for mobile Internet service

mobilcastle

Millenicom just raised their prices on broadband. Now 20Gigs is going to be $90 per month.I was planning on using this service soon. Is their anything out their that is a better deal? I know they run over the Verizon network and coverage is important to me. I am not going to steam TV as I do at home but of course I will use the net for email etc. I am thinking a service with less Gigs? Anyone using Dish for internet? Thanks

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I have a Freedompop access point. 500MB of 4G is free. I pay $21 per month get 2 GB of data on 4g/3g and have up to 500 MB unused data rollover each month.
The drawback is they use sprint network so it can be limiting at times. You also purchase the device similar to Millenicom.

You can also share unused data with others free. And earn free data if you choose to view their free offers. I do not do either and I am not nagged or bothered by freedompop in any way to do so.

They are also expanding their service to offer a mobile smartphone with similar features.

http://www.freedompop.com/

DocFather

I have a Freedompop access point. 500MB of 4G is free. I pay $21 per month get 2 GB of data on 4g/3g and have up to 500 MB unused data rollover each month.
The drawback is they use sprint network so it can be limiting at times. You also purchase the device similar to Millenicom.

You can also share unused data with others free. And earn free data if you choose to view their free offers. I do not do either and I am not nagged or bothered by freedompop in any way to do so.

They are also expanding their service to offer a mobile smartphone with similar features.

http://www.freedompop.com/

If your figures are correct, if you do the math, Mellenicom is a much better deal per month, but for some, the rollover feature of Freedompop is cool.

wdk450

I use Verizon 4G - $50 a month for 5GB. Great coverage.

I looked into Dish Network internet when it was first announced, but found that it is designed for fixed location users. It seems they use local satellite "spotbeams" (think narrow flashlight beams shining down from the satellites to the specific areas on Earth). So you can't move state-to-state and still get your assigned spotbeam.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If your figures are correct, if you do the math, Mellenicom is a much better deal per month, but for some, the rollover feature of Freedompop is cool.

Your right. If your a heavy data user, the Millenicom deal is much better per month. But if you are not a heavy data user, Freedompop is less out of pocket monthly but has less coverage than Millenicom. Freedompop has coverage over most of the area I travel. Freedompop is working on expanding their coverage also.

I use about 1 gb per month now and have yet to even use the full 2 GB per month that I pay for at this time but am considering a change to my internet services as I currently also have DSL internet.

Dave49

If your going to use in excess of 10G per month Millenicom is the way to go for the 20G plan with Verizon footprint. Verizon has the best coverage of any carrier there is. Sometimes not the best but by far a lot more coverage. Millenicom purchases the data usage from Verizon and resells it to us at there rate. Verizon just increased there rate to Millenicom and that is the reason for our price increase.

Dave

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We use the Verizon MiFi and judging by the parks we're in, seems to be the most popular. We got REALLY luck that when 4G came out a couple of years ago in South Dakota (where we have our mailing and service address), they offered to double our GB from 10 to 20 for the same price. So, we have 20 GB for $60/month.

mobilcastle

Has anyone tried using a prepaid unlimited 3G service from Verizon wireless like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wirel...qid=1397703164&sr=8-2&keywords=prepaid+$10+3g

Apparently, you can get 1 month for $10, $30 for 3 months or $100 for 1 year Unlimited 3G Verizon Data

Although 3G service is slower that 4G, It is better than nothing and certainly has a much lower cost than $90 month for 20 GB.
I might look into this as I am only looking for data and emails.

Garypowell

This certainly sounds interesting. I am curios if you get any direct relationship with Verizon? Or is your only contact via this reseller?

just like what was revealed with the millicon (sp?) service all of a sudden the price jumped up after the equipment was purchased.

I am curious if anyone is actually using this service. Silverado23 uses the word "apparently" which would indicate they are not a customer.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I might look into this as I am only looking for data and emails.

If you do, Let me know how it goes. I would prefer to be on Verizon 3G vs Sprint 3G network. I just don't use enough data right now to make the jump. I have not completed one year with Freedompop yet, (no contracts) I am still evaluating how much data I would want to use and so far my 2GB plan has been way more than enough at this time. So I am looking for lower cost and/or more coverage to really make a change at this time.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
This certainly sounds interesting. I am curios if you get any direct relationship with Verizon? Or is your only contact via this reseller?

just like what was revealed with the millicon (sp?) service all of a sudden the price jumped up after the equipment was purchased.

I am curious if anyone is actually using this service. Silverado23 uses the word "apparently" which would indicate they are not a customer.

I don't currently use this service and am not yet a customer, I am still looking into this service and don't have many details beyond the amazon offer.

Supposedly you pay for your prepaid wireless plan through Verizon.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Yes, The millenicom device, The Prepaid 3G device from amazon and the freedompop device all are wireless.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ok just did a lot research on this and then contacted the seller...I was really considering it until I asked about what would happen if Verizon suddenly dropped this plan would we lose service, etc. I then explained I was leery because I have 3g unlimited plan thru Verizon that I'm grandfathered into and if I drop it I cannot get it back...his response, "keep the plan you have as it's post paid and grandfathered...with a prepaid plan it can change at any time or even be eliminated, you will not be grandfathered. However, prepaid plans been going good for 5 years, but there is no guarantee"

Think I'll take his advice, even though it's MUCH more expensive...at least it won't disappear...

DocFather

According to my sources, the Verizon Prepaid Jet Pak Unlimited Data offering has been not offered for a long time, except for those accounts that were grandfathered.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
According to my sources, the Verizon Prepaid Jet Pak Unlimited Data offering has been not offered for a long time, except for those accounts that were grandfathered.

This is not offered by Verizon...it is on Amazon and is offered by a outside retailer who apparently sets up the contract thru Verizon and you can pre pay on the Verizon website once your account is set up...

DocFather

This is not offered by Verizon...it is on Amazon and is offered by a outside retailer who apparently sets up the contract thru Verizon and you can pre pay on the Verizon website once your account is set up...

The Amazon link says it is "unavailable" fyi