Advanced cable wiring in '08 Landmark

linuxkidd

The following assumes you will be using a portable satellite and NOT installing a roof mounted version.

Also, I realize that pictures would help tremendously. I PROMISE I'll get some pictures for this post shortly.

Desired Connections:
2 Satellite connections in both the Living Room and Bedroom for Dual Tuner HD DVR.
1 Antenna connection in both the Living Room and Bedroom for HD OTA.
1 Cable connection in the Living Room for Cable Modem.

Requred Parts:
4 - Sat/Cable/Antenna Diplexers
1 - Coax splitter ( 5 to 900 Mhz or higer.. I've seen up to 1100 Mhz )
1 - Keystone 6 port Wall Plate ( You can get away with 4 port, but I wanted room for future expansion.
4 - Keystone F-Connector Coax jack
1 - Right angle F adapter
1 - F Connector Coupler
1 - 10 Pack of Blank inserts (only needed if you have spare ports on your wall plate from above)
Various bits of Coax: Recommend using Quad-Shielded to resist noise from near by power wires.
Multimeter or other continuity testing device.
3/8" Drill bit and drill motor.
Pliers
Key hole saw or similar.

If you want to make up your own coax ( which I did ), check out this Coax compression installer/stripper/cutter set. You'll also need to pick up a length of Quad Shielded coax and appropriate compression fittings.

Location specific instructions follow:

Last edited:

linuxkidd

Basement wiring:

Basement:
Remove the square drive screws that hold the back wall of the basement in place. You don't need to disconnect any of the outlets to get this wall to move, but you will need to remove the bag cover from the central Vac. Once inside the belly of the beast, locate the coax connections on the back of the UDC. You can start here to trace out where the coax runs for the rest of the modifications.

This set of steps provides the Cable connection for a Cable Modem to the Living room. If you do not need this connection, you can skip the following:
1: Start at the Cable connection on the side of the UDC. Disconnect the coax from the back and connect a short jumper coax. ( approx 18" will work fine )
2: Connect the other end of this jumper to the Coax splitter.
3: Re-connect the original Cable coax to one of the splitter outputs.
4: On the other splitter output, connect another short jumper coax.
5: Connect the end of this jumper to the 'Cable/Ant' side of one of the Diplexer units.
6: Now, while looking at the back of the UDC, disconnect the Left most coax in the row of 4 at the top of the UDC and connect this to the combined output location of the Diplexer.
7: Connect one more jumper coax from the Satellite input side of the Diplexer to the far left coax connection ( of the 4 ) at the top of the UDC.

This set of steps provides the Antenna and 2nd Satellite connection to the Living Room:
1: Disconnect the middle two Coax connections at the top of the UDC.
2: Re-connect the Coax that came from the 2nd spot from the left, to the 3rd spot from the left.
3: Locate the splitter that connects to the Basement coax connection. The other output from this splitter goes to the Living Room Antenna/Cable connection.
4: Connect a jumper long enough to reach the basement coax splitter to the open port on the back of the UDC.
5: Connect the jumper to the Satellite side of a Diplexer.
6: Disconnect the Living Room side coax from the basement splitter and connect it to the Combined Ant/Sat connection side of the Diplexer.
7: Connect a short jumper coax from the now open side of the basement splitter to the Cable/Ant input side of the Diplexer.

linuxkidd

Bedroom wiring:

Bedroom:

This set of steps provides a 2nd Satellite connection in the Bedroom. Again, if you do not need this connection, these steps can be skipped.
1: From the OUTSIDE of the UDC, locate the far LEFT coax connection at the top of the UDC. Using a paper clip, form a good connection from the center conductor to the threaded outside section of the coax connection.
2: Remove the speaker grill from the right speaker by twisting it counter clockwise a bit, then pull straight down. (The right as you are looking at the TV).
3: Remove the square drive screws that hold the speaker in the ceiling.
4: Remove the speaker from the ceiling. My speaker had enough extra wire to allow it to rest on top of the cabinet next to the TV.
5: Reach inside the ceiling toward the TV and feel for the 2 Coax cables that are left there for a Roof mounted Satellite Install.
6: Pull both Satellite Coax feeds down through the Speaker hole.
7: Using a multimeter or other continuity testing device, check for continuity between the Pin and Barrel of the coax feeds. The one that shows continuity will be used as the 2nd Satellite feed for the bedroom and will be referred to as 2nd sat feed.
If Neither show continuity, check the jumper paper clip at the left most coax in the UDC for good connection to both the center conductor and the threaded shell of the coax connection. You may need someone to hold this in place to conduct the test.
8: Remove the TV supporting board and TV from the cabinet above the Exit window. ( 3 or 4 square drive screws along each side hold it in position )
9: Remove the two screws from the antenna wall plate above where the TV was.
10: Remove the barrel nut from around the Ant/Cable connection of the wall plate.
11: Pull the wall plate away from the ceiling.
12: Pull the antenna amplifier / switch out of the opening.
13: Push the 2nd sat feed wire back through the speaker opening in the ceiling toward the wall plate opening in the ceiling.
14: When the 2nd sat feed wire is visible, pull it through the wall plate opening.
15: Drill a 3/8" hole in the wall plate evenly spaced between the Antenna connection and the end of the wall plate. ( Opposite of the existing satellite connection in the wall plate )
16: Remove the barrel nut from the new Coax F Coupler and slip the long end of the copuler through the 3/8" hole from the top.
17: Place the barrel nut on the Coax F Coupler from the bottom of the wall plate and tighten it down with a pair of pliers.
18: Connect the Right Angle F Adapter to the top of the new Coax F Coupler. The Right angle F Adapter should be facing away from the Amplifier opening.
19: Connect the 2nd Sat Feed to the right angle coax adapter.
20: Position the amplifier back onto the wall plate. Make sure to check alignment of the Amplifier power button and indicator light during this step.
21: Place the previously removed barrel nut back on the Ant/Cable connector and tighten securely with pliers.
22: Using a key hole saw or similar, trim the wall plate opening large enough to allow the amplifier and all cables to pass through during re-installation.
23: Re-install the wall plate over the opening and secure with the original 2 square drive screws.
24: Coil the remaining coax at the speaker hole and push it back into the ceiling.
25: Re-install the speaker into it's opening with the previously removed screws.
26: Re-install the speaker grill by aligning the plastic nubs with the groove on the speaker, push straight up against the ceiling, then turn clock-wise.
27: Re-install TV after making appropriate A/V Connections to your satellite equiepment.
28: Remove the paper-clip from the Left most UDC Coax connector BEFORE you power up any Satellite gear in the bedroom.

Last edited:

linuxkidd

Living Room Wiring:

Living Room:
1: Remove the 2 square drive screws securing the wall plate that houses the 2 coax connections.
2: Pull the wall plate and coax connections away from the wall.
3: Disconnect the coax from the back of the connector labeled 'Satellite'
4: Connect this coax to the combined side of a Diplexer.
5: Connect a short jumper from the Satellite side of the Diplexer to one of the Keystone F Connectors. This will be the first satellite feed.
6: Connect a short jumper from the Cable/Ant side of the Diplexer to one of the Keystone F Connectors. This will be the Cable connection for the Cable Modem.
7: Disconnect the coax from the back of the connector labeled 'Ant/Cable'
8: Connect this coax to the combined side of a Diplexer.
9: Connect a short jumper from the Satellite side of the Diplexer to one of the Keystone F Connectors. This will be the second satellite feed.
10: Connect a short jumper from the Cable/Ant side of the Diplexer to one of the Keystone F Connectors. This will be the antenna connection for HD OTA Signals.
11: Snap all Keystone F Connectors into the Keystone wall plate and label appropriately.
12: If you have a 6 port wall plate, install 2 port blanks in the open ports.
13: Using a key hole saw or similar, enlarge the opening in the wall to accomodate the 4 coax connections.
14: Secure the Keystone wall plate with the previously removed square drive screws.

linuxkidd

Conclusion:

Now, with the Amplifier switch in the bedroom ON, the HD OTA connector in the living room will receive the Antenna signal. With the Amplifier switch in the bedroom OFF, this connection will be a 2nd Cable jack.

Connect all 4 coax connections at the top of the UDC to a 4 output, 3 or 5 LNB Satellite dish. Connect the Cable connection in the UDC to the local cable provider.

I promise to take some pictures later in the week.

**Edit: Below are linked pictures for BEFORE and AFTER wiring diagrams for '08 Landmarks.

BEFORE

AFTER

Please click on the images for a larger (easier to read) version of each.

Enjoy!
LK

Last edited:

linuxkidd

np... Always happy to help where I can.

Added Before / After wiring diagrams.

Any questions / suggestions are MORE than welcome!
LK

rcobb

LK,

Thank's for sharing this information.. I have been trying to think of a way to do this without running additional cable. You saved me alot of time.

Thanks again..

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
LK,
Very nice write up and diagrams. Bet you could make some pretty good money at the Rally this year re-wiring other units. haha, like you need more things to do right?

Thanks for the info,

Mark

linuxkidd

LOL.. Ya.. more things to do... Lemme check my list... ROFL!

But, I am more than happy to answer any questions! :)
LK

rgirouard

More info

HI,
Will this procedure work in a Bighorn 3610? thanks for all your work and info on this.
rgirouard