Bed crooked in Gateway 3200rs

shurack24

Wondering if anyone with a 3200rs can tell me if their bed is the same as ours. I'm not sure if the bed is crooked by design, or if it is just plain badly installed. I can imagine it being crooked in order for more space to walk around the bed. It is solidly attached for sure, and seems to be this way by design.
Somewhat difficult to see in a picture so i hope the skewing is visible enough here.
The only real issue is that when we push the bed against the headboard (wall), the mattress does not sit squarely on the wood support platform.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WP_20140416_003.jpg
    WP_20140416_003.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 68
  • WP_20140416_002.jpg
    WP_20140416_002.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 62
  • WP_20140416_001.jpg
    WP_20140416_001.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

danemayer

Re: Bed crooked in Gater3200rs

Looks like the wood is crooked. Is the platform underneath it also crooked?

shurack24

The bed itself looks to be skewed.
The platform itself is square with the underlying box structure.
The slide itself is square with the wall; IE, the seals are square with the wall opening and the slide mechanism works well. I do not believe the slide itself has any issue.
If anything, the bed platform structure is not attached squarely to the slide mechanism.
Without have another unit to compare to though, I am unsure if this is skewed by design.

danemayer

It's not designed to be skewed.

When you say the "bed looks to be skewed" I assume you mean the particle board under the mattress is skewed, which is what the picture shows. If the "platform itself is square" underneath that board, then the board needs to be adjusted to square up with the platform.

You could have your dealer fix it, but if that's the only warranty issue, you might save time and fuel cost by fixing it yourself. Take a look at how the board is attached to the platform underneath, unscrew it, square it, and put it back together.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The bed itself looks to be skewed.
The platform itself is square with the underlying box structure.
The slide itself is square with the wall; IE, the seals are square with the wall opening and the slide mechanism works well. I do not believe the slide itself has any issue.
If anything, the bed platform structure is not attached squarely to the slide mechanism.
Without have another unit to compare to though, I am unsure if this is skewed by design.

I read this to say the entire bed, platform and top board are NOT square to the wall...if so, check to see if somehow the right side came loose from the slide wall.

Cannot believe it was meant to be this way...I would contact Heartland and send the pics.

shurack24

Correct, the bed and the platform and the structure supporting the platform are all crooked from the slide wall, but appear to be all square with each other.
I will check more closely how the platform structure is attached to the slide mechanism.
The space is somehwat tight but hopefully, it'll be apparent how it is attached to the slide.
The topic of customers doing their own warranty work has been beat to death on this board and others; and even though I can do much of this work better than most dealers, thats a topic for another thread.
Worst case, we'll see if any other issues show up during our first couple of trips this spring.
And woo-hoo to the weather finally becoming bearable here in the Northeast.
i will also send that email to Heartland Customer Support as well for their feedback.
Thank you for the responses.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Correct, the bed and the platform and the structure supporting the platform are all crooked from the slide wall, but appear to be all square with each other.
I will check more closely how the platform structure is attached to the slide mechanism.
The space is somehwat tight but hopefully, it'll be apparent how it is attached to the slide.
The topic of customers doing their own warranty work has been beat to death on this board and others; and even though I can do much of this work better than most dealers, thats a topic for another thread.
Worst case, we'll see if any other issues show up during our first couple of trips this spring.
And woo-hoo to the weather finally becoming bearable here in the Northeast.
i will also send that email to Heartland Customer Support as well for their feedback.
Thank you for the responses.

If you cannot see how it's attached, or don't feel comfortable making the repair...Heartland can and usually will allow you to take it to any authorized RV repair center...doesn't have to be a Heartland dealer...for warranty repairs.

shurack24

I consider myself pretty handy.
I'll take a look on the weekend. If I can't figure it out, or if something is truly broken, then I'll proceed to our dealer. Luckily our dealer is quite close.
I'm pretty much counting on finding at least one thing wrong once we get out this spring. We purchased our unit in December and it's been sitting in our driveway all winter. Looking forward to getting out next weekend.
Thanks again for the replys

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Looking at the pix, it doesnt look like you have any under bed storage. If you do attempt the repair...you might see if you could create some. Cut the plywood platform, use a piano hinge and install some verticle boards to make boxes. Just make sure that the boxes clear everything that moves. Its a great place to store blankets and stuff.