Hooking up TST repeater

SeattleLion

I got a TST repeater to make more reliable readings on the road. I spoke with someone at TST and he said I could mount it in the battery compartment (forward compartment on our Bighorn). He said it doesn't need to be outside. I would like to do that. I have some questions:

How do I connect it so it isn't a constant drain on the battery? Or do I care? I figure I should connect it after the battery shut of switch so if I shut off the power, it will go off too. Where should I connect it? Any pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Ladiver

I did exactly the same thing on my Cyclone 3100. I connected direct to the battery, but I added a toggle switch to turn it on and off. Unfortunately, I don't have my trailer right now, so I can't get pics. I mounted the repeater on the wall between the battery compartment and the cargo storage area. I just ran the wire next to the wire connecting the battery to the 12v buss bar.

The only thing I may change it to replace the toggle switch, which I have mounted inside, to an illuminated push button that I can mount outside, next to the front landing gear switch. That way, I can quickly see if I have it turned on or off without having to look inside the battery compartment. Not that opening the hatch is all that difficult. I am just lazy. :)

dave10a

It is always good practice to include an appropriate fuse when connecting any electrical device. Another good place may be the Circuit Breaker panel using one of the spare breakers.

TXTiger

I wired mine to the circuit breaker panel and just let the repeater hang over the generator. Works fine from this location even with the hatch closed.

It is always good practice to include an appropriate fuse when connecting any electrical device. Another good place may be the Circuit Breaker panel using one of the spare breakers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I mounted mine in the front closet.
I tapped into a wire from the closet light.
It's fused but not switched.
Mount it anywhere you want.

Peace
Dave

Snow

I got a TST repeater to make more reliable readings on the road. I spoke with someone at TST and he said I could mount it in the battery compartment (forward compartment on our Bighorn). He said it doesn't need to be outside. I would like to do that. I have some questions:

How do I connect it so it isn't a constant drain on the battery? Or do I care? I figure I should connect it after the battery shut of switch so if I shut off the power, it will go off too. Where should I connect it? Any pictures?

Thanks for your help.
Caint help you but hopeing you can help me ? Getting ready to buy a TST system I have more of a buget then I thought I will have around 500$ to use, my RV is 40 ft long am I going to have to get a repeater ? Should I get just sensors for the rv or rv and tv and is the 507 a good one to get , sorry for the ?s but this is all new to me and I want to make the right decision the first time thanks ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

SeattleLion

Caint help you but hopeing you can help me ? Getting ready to buy a TST system I have more of a buget then I thought I will have around 500$ to use, my RV is 40 ft long am I going to have to get a repeater ? Should I get just sensors for the rv or rv and tv and is the 507 a good one to get , sorry for the ?s but this is all new to me and I want to make the right decision the first time thanks ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

TST recommended a repeater for my 5th wheel which is 37 ft.

dbbls59

I placed mine in the battery compartment and wired it to the power coming to the hydraulic pump. There was a electrical post very handy and it shuts off with the battery disconnect.

Heathcote4

I mounted my repeater in my RW390 front storage. There are little screws in the bag so I mounted it to the ceiling of the storage compartment. I tapped it into the work light in front of the light switch.

Snow, I got a 507 system for $550 from TST which included the repeater and 10 sensors. There are six flow thru's for the trailer and 4 sensor caps for the truck. I don't think the crimp connector I attempted to reuse made a good connection because it appears the repeater was not functioning when I left. Mounted the monitor to the front windshield by the driver door and it saw all 10 sensors on my truck and 42' trailer with no issues. We just pulled into Hot Springs and my system worked great the entire 5 hours. In April TST has a special, 10% off and three year warranty.

Good luck,

Josh

porthole

Retired

The 507 is an excellent unit. Mounts easy, and battery life is much better then I anticipated. Leaving in on 24/7 (when traveling) I get about a week out of the battery. Now that I only use it occasionally in the truck for the winter, I have only charged it once since last October.

I never saw a repeater option. But, mine came with an additional wired antenna. I ran the wire behind my dash, up the "A-Post" and across the headliner. I have the antenna (shaped like a "T") just stuffed in the headliner. I have had no issues with sensor readings.

scottyb

Good topic. I just received my repeater in the mail. I have had signal loss on rare occasions and it always seemed to take a while to re-acquire the signal when starting up in the morning. Since TST was so gracious when I called them for o-rings and a replacement for a cracked cover on one of the sensors, I ordered a repeater. I think I will add a switch to mine since I am plugged in and leave my batteries on all the time. I like the idea of the iluminated switch near the landing gear.

Snow

Thanks everyone ordering my 507 in the morning with a repeater ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

MTPockets

My F350 has a light strip in the small space just under the tail gate, that's where I mounted the antenna. For power, I tapped into the trailer plug wire behind the rear bumper. Power is on only when truck ignition is on..

priorguy

My F350 has a light strip in the small space just under the tail gate, that's where I mounted the antenna. For power, I tapped into the trailer plug wire behind the rear bumper. Power is on only when truck ignition is on..

I would do it this way too. Either off the ignition of the truck or possibly a low current relay switch off the trailer lights. I like to travel lights one for safety. I can also see the front clearance lights in the mirror and know that the 7 pin is still connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow

Thanks everyone ordering my 507 in the morning with a repeater ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️
Couldn't wait ordered just now 377.00 $ 3 yr warranty 6 sensors with repeater talked to Benson Michael , super nice