Front Cap vs Sidewall

GWRam

I found a area on the forward cap during our prepurchase inspection that needs to be repainted. The Heartland rep I spoke with told me the forward caps are painted. So my warranty list has cap painting on it. There is also a area in the exterior side of the camper just below the roof line that needs fixing. Our dealer keeps telling me that their bodyshop/painter is trying to match the paint colors of our unit. Been in body shop a couple weeks now.

Question for anyone that knows. Are Heartland/Gateway sidewalls painted or are they a gel coat which I have been told should not be painted.

How are they supposed to patch the damaged area and color it?

Dave
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not sure, but I think the front caps are painted. Not sure about the side walls. Call HL service, have your VIN# handy and ask them these questions. Gee I don't know but, if the painter/dealer would call HL, I bet they know the paint code #. Maybe it's just me, but thats what I would have done and not wait 2 weeks spraying paint until it matched.

BTW, asking things in the ATF may get an answer...maybe not. HL does not have anybody sitting at a putor all day reading them. You are better off just posting questions and our members will answer your questions faster.

GWRam

When I posted the question it was after hours at Heartland. I called HL this morning. Bob, your right HL does have the paint codes and are willing to share the info. Our unit does have the painted cap.
Our unit Gateway 3650 has gelcoat sidewalls. Some HL product lines have painted exteriors. I asked the dealer yesterday if their body shop person was aware of the availability of the paint codes and they
said he knew that info for the paint. Not sure whats taking so long. They have had the unit 2 months this time and last two weeks sitting at their body shop or so I am told. They are 2.5 hours away so I don't just stop by.
I really have no idea what is going on there for sure.

Bob, thanks for the response and the tip about ATF.
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, I hope your dealer does not just try to "spot" paint the cap. On a new unit I would want the whole cap painted. I would stay on top of this issue with your dealer and make sure HL insists on it.This also means replacing the decal on the cap. As to trying to spot paint a side wall, I'm not sure I would want that. Gelcoat and paint wont fade at the same rate. Are you sure that the bad spot cant be buffed out? I would call HL service back and get there advise and recommendation on this also.

danemayer

I found a area on the forward cap during our prepurchase inspection...
Dave,

if this is "pre-purchase", make sure you are completely satisfied before closing the deal. Once you take the unit, it's yours.

Heartland will pay once for the repair work if it's a manufacturing defect. If there's a problem later, it's up to the dealer to stand by the quality of their repair work.

GWRam

Dan,
This was noticed pre purchase. We took the unit anyway to bring back for warranty repair later. You are right, make sure it is fixed and correctly before accepting the unit. We have learned.
Dave