oem or aftermarket brakes

Redrider007

I have a 2004 F350 4x4 cc srw and am abiut to purchase the BC 3070re- I need to get my brakes done and j should be fine with the stock rotors (FRONT TURNED ONCE) I just want to be as safe as possible and want to opinions on stickjng with oem and severe duty pads or go with aftermarket slotted rotors. Rv max weight 14,000lbs

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a 2004 F350 4x4 cc srw and am abiut to purchase the BC 3070re- I need to get my brakes done and j should be fine with the stock rotors (FRONT TURNED ONCE) I just want to be as safe as possible and want to opinions on stickjng with oem and severe duty pads or go with aftermarket slotted rotors. Rv max weight 14,000lbs

I'm no expert, but you should have a trailer brake installed when you purchase the 5th wheel. That will stop the trailer. However, this Christmas we changed to Hawk Super Duty pads on stock rotors, and really like the feel. Seems like better stopping ability. We have a 2004 GMC 3500 DRW, and trailer weighs similar. Have close to 3500 (towing) miles on them now.

Hawk were recommended by others with similar trucks on this forum, that's why we chose them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

Having worked in dealers for over 20 years I was a fan of always using OEM parts. That was until I did the brakes on my F-350 last fall. The Ford OEM pads were the worst I have ever seen as to holding up in the environment, I have literally seen 1,000's.

I went with the Hawk Super Duty's this time. They may be no better, but they are certainly no worse.

If your rotors were "cut once" odds are good they will not have enough material left to be surfaced again if needed. BTW, "grinding" is better then "cutting"
If your rotors are slip ons, like most 4WD rotors are, you are better off just replacing. If you replace, spend the money to get US made. The imported rotors really are substandard.

Slotted rotors - smoke and mirrors.

Gary521

The purpose for slotted rotors is to relieve gas pressure created from braking action. However, you are not going fast enough nor creating the heat needed for this type of rotor. Slotted rotors are used on certain type of racing vehicles. I would recommend rotors that have been "cryo" treated this will make your rotors last longer and keep them from warping. The thinner the rotor the more likely it will warp under a high heat load, so the fact that you have had them turned does not help. I race vintage sports cars and do not use slotted rotors and have amazing braking action. Selection of the proper brakes pads is extremely important for good braking action. Hawk makes great brake pads and there are others but you can't go wrong here.

dave10a

Ofter market pads are better than OEM if you get them from a reputable manufacturer. OEM equipment is generally the bare minimum to meet DOT requirements-- that goes for Ford, GM, Dodge and the off-shore manufacturers. The trick is to be knowledgeable enough to know what to shop for and from whom. You can get inferior brakes from after market manufacturers as well-- so watch out.... :)