Blown Tire

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Just blew a tire. Sitting on highway in Fl. Paid extra at dealer for Cornerstone united roadside and can't get ahold of them.

Anyone have a better number?

Also, replacement tires?! Suggestions?! Big Country 3690.

Thanks,
Alice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

Yea, Liberty Mutual roadside assistance.

Anyhow, about those tires. I've had rigs for most of my life all the way from pop-up, ti travel trailers and now 5th wheels and have had the BEST luck with Michelin tires. I use Michelin LT tires on my 5vers over the past few years and have never had a problem. Make sure the weight limits are ok and then your good to go. I also purchased a TST monitoring system which lets me know if my tires are low on air and the temp of each tire, that gives me even more of a warm fussy feeling! I also do a vision check of each tire prior to leaving a campground, rest stop or gas station, that doesn't hurt either. Never had any problems with Michelin. I've had Yamamoto, Tow Max, Carlisle and some other brands and always have ended up going back to Michelin, so now I don't even shop around any more, just contact my Discount Tire man and let him know I'm bringing either my truck, my car or the 5ver down for new tires and he knows I'm a Michelin Man! Good luck, have fun and be safe out there!!:cool:

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Another question: my uncle was telling me about tires he puts on his landscaping trailer (22 ft). They're made of fiberglass?

He was really impressed by them and won't put belted tires on anymore.

Thoughts? That's the first I've heard of them.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We like discount tire too! There's one right up the road from where we're staying tonight. Feel a little naked without our spare. So at minimum was going to replace that first thing.

Birchwood

Your tire should be less than 2 years old.This bothers me as I have been hauling our Landmark from Canada to Florida for the last 5 years and this year we took a side trip to TX.Any idea why the tire blew?

Paul & Nan

Good Sam road service is the best ever. We run Good Year G614 on our rig. We did have a blow out 3 weeks ago, our stupid, we had lost track of how old it was. Replaced all 4 on the ground with the same from Discount Tire.

mobilcastle

No tire should blow that is 2 years old.I would look at these.http://simpletire.com/jetzon-235-85r16-8244393-tires?utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=80149 I have these on my rig and they are excellent tires. I have yet to read about a blowout on one them.
Your tire should be less than 2 years old.This bothers me as I have been hauling our Landmark from Canada to Florida for the last 5 years and this year we took a side trip to TX.Any idea why the tire blew?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Yes, Ellie (our rig) will be two in June. She has 7686 miles on her tires (Trooper the truck keeps track.)

No idea why it blew. We didn't see any puncture but then the hole was massive and I think it blew from the inside out. We drive 55 mph always. We check air pressure and torque as is on the sticker.

It was hot yesterday, mid to high 80s. Fairly cloudy, but the tires did feel hot. I felt them about 40 minutes earlier but I hadn't done that often enough in the past to have much to compare it to.

We also hadn't gotten around to getting TPMS yet. We usually drive five hours or less a day but yesterday decided to go farther as we're eager to get home. We left at 9 am, made two 30 min or less stops and the tire blew at 4 pm on the dot.

These were the original Towmax tires from the factory. 16". I don't believe we're heavily loaded but we haven't weighed her.

We got a new spare for these last six hours, similar make. Want to switch to Gs when we get home.

-A

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Other parts of our equation: Ellie lives at a gravel storage place when we're not using her. She's been on concrete pads (which I understand leeches the oil out of the tires?) less than two months of her life.

We also hadn't gotten around to getting her tire covers either.

We inspect them for damage, cracks, wear, rot. These tires still look new. In fact, if the spare wasn't missing the fancy hub cap thingy I wouldn't be able to tell which one had driven seven thousand miles and which one had hung underneath.

I think it's what's on the inside, what I can't see, that's the problem.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Simply the nature of ST tires. It doesn't matter if you do everything correctly. They are always at risk of a premature failure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TireHobby

Tires seldom give the appearance of “blowing out” without a cause. “Blow outs” are most often caused by some sort of road hazard. The appearance of a “blow out” can be caused by the tire being over loaded or under pressurized or both. The tire will get hot from the inside out until it starts leaking. Sometimes it will just throw the tread but most often it will fail as it throws the tread. Failures of that sort will have melted cords showing. Polyester tire cording starts to melt above 400 degrees F.

Because of the dynamics of the bobbing, weaving 12’ + trailer, the tires really need more load capacity reserves than most trailer manufacturers are willing to provide. Get some replacement tires with load capacities 15% above your trailer’s GAWR is my recommendation.

TireHobby

dfk009

Those blasted Towmax! That's why I took mine off, and put on 5 Maxxis that I got from Discount Tire. My wheels where only rated to 80#. Had Maxxis on sob trailer that where standard equipment, for 5 years...no problems with them. Just check your wheel pressure rating. Hope you can find a good deal.

GOTTOYS

Tires seldom give the appearance of “blowing out” without a cause. “Blow outs” are most often caused by some sort of road hazard. The appearance of a “blow out” can be caused by the tire being over loaded or under pressurized or both. The tire will get hot from the inside out until it starts leaking. Sometimes it will just throw the tread but most often it will fail as it throws the tread. Failures of that sort will have melted cords showing. Polyester tire cording starts to melt above 400 degrees F.

Because of the dynamics of the bobbing, weaving 12’ + trailer, the tires really need more load capacity reserves than most trailer manufacturers are willing to provide. Get some replacement tires with load capacities 15% above your trailer’s GAWR is my recommendation.

TireHobby
That being the case...How do you explain away the wonderful unused, Tow Max tires that blow out while attached to the spare tire tire rack on some trailers ??? There has been several reports of this happening...What kind of road hazard would cause that ??...Don

Gary521

Eric, sorry this happened but shame on you. Have you not been reading this forum? If you run with these type of tires it like playing Russin Roulette. It does not matter if you watch the pressure, have a pressure monitor, or even get down on you knees and ask for forgiveness, these little babies will likely go. When you have a factory that does not even know what quality control is, you may get some good ones and, obviously, you get some bad ones. Get yourself some decent LT tires and go in peace.

TireHobby

That being the case...How do you explain away the wonderful unused, Tow Max tires that blow out while attached to the spare tire tire rack on some trailers ??? There has been several reports of this happening...What kind of road hazard would cause that ??...Don

Probably caused by setting in the sun with water droplets in the tire. As the air permeates through the tire the water will follow and cause rot. Pretty soon, BOOM!

You can service the spare with oil pumped nitrogen. No water, no rot. Or, rotate the tires with the spare in the rotation.

TireHobby

chiefneon

Howdy!

I run Goodyear (GY) tire simply because they stand behind their tires. I've had several claims with GY and they have always paid. The first thing I learned was never get rid of the tire. When you have your tire replaced always advise the repair place that your are going to file a claim and not despose of the tire. GY will want to have the tire inspected for the cause of the tire failure. I have found most tire dealers especially GY will help you file the claim. Can't help you regarding Tow Max but I know when I had a Michelin tire bow and damage my truck they did not want to even consider a claim. GY has never been a problem.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
It's funny how people have blow outs with a Towmax. Then change to a LT type tire and suddenly they don't have anymore blowouts.

Then the tire experts are telling us that Towmax fail due to misuse and road hazards.

Yet people running anything other then a ST are no longer having issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk