Chevy Duramax Info. Needed

Needing information on the 07/08 Duramax Engine. We have a 36' Big Horn and currently pulling it with a 06 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0, It just isn't enough to pull the trailer without straining. We are wanting to get out of this frozen state of Minnesota and head for FL. I just don't think that the 6.0 will handle the trip. Has anyone had problems with the Duramax? What kind of MPG are they getting? Also does anyone know the approx. gross weight of the fifth wheel.

sealman

I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ Four wheel drive with the DuraMax(same engine as 2008)...I love it. I use it as a daily driver and it gets 16mpg in town and 20+ on the road...Pulling our 3100RL Bighorn is no problem at all, and the truck suspension works well with the trailer.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I'll cast my vote fore the Duramax, I have an 05 Silverado 3500 and tow a 37' Landmark Mt. Rushmore with a gross weight of 16,000 lbs. I have not scaled the Landmark yet but fully expect it to be grossed out as it is packed to the gills for fulltiming. I am aware of some injector problems with earlier models but mine has been trouble free to this point. I get around 14.8 mpg around town using it as a daily driver and close to 19 mpg on the road without a load, whem towing the trailer I get 10 mpg as long as I keep it under 2000 rpm's which is 63 mph. I have never felt the need to put a programmer on it as it does all I ask of it completely stock. I know the duallys are big but they really shine when towing these weights so my advice is to at least consider a dual wheel truck no mater which brand you get.

Don

Netem

I don't tow a 36 fter but I do have a 31' 6" 5ver. I started out with a 6 lt gas 3/4 ton chevy and in 02 I went to a dmax 3/4 ton allison trans and I can tell you there is no comparison in power. I live in Mo. and I can pull any hills we have with no problems. As far as fuel economy I got about 8 or 9 with the gas and get 10 to 12 with the diesel depending how I drive.Maybe I've been lucky but no problems with the truck. Hope this helps. Netem

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm pretty sure all the Duramax owners will agree, the Duramax is the #1 truck in it's class. There was an earlier thread on the forum that proved it. Since you already own a Chevy, you can attest to it's comfort and ride carachteristics, why even consider anything else:D?

FlashG

I just bought the Duramax/Allison HD 3500 last week.

I debated the other two manufacturers and used to own a 2003 Dodge One ton with Cummins. I was happy with the Dodge except for ride comfort.

I have not pulled with the new Chev yet since I have not purchased the fiver yet. (Waiting for rebate from Heartland) grins!

The new Chev is comfortable to drive.

The new rebate offerings swayed me: Basically 10K plus off MSRP.
Current Rebates:
$1500 +
$1750 +
$1000 + Loyalty (99 or newer GM product owner)
$500 + Homebuilders Assn Member Or Farm Bureau Member
+ Additional $500 gift card to Lowes or Best Buy.
Dealer informed me of another $500 on it way. (Dont know what that for?LOL)
Two Free Season Ski Passes
Best of All - Full Tank of Diesel ! !

Most dealers will tell you some of the rebates are Non-stackable.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We Love Ours

Pat and I both love our 05 2500HD D/A. Has never been in the shop for any repairs. Gets 13-14 around town, 9-13 pulling. Coach is about 14K. The truck doesnt know what a hill is.. Bob:D:D:eek:

StevieWonder

If you can't pull it with the '05/'06 Duramax, you've got another problem. I've pulled 15000 lbs thru the mountains with no issues at all. Maybe it's the rearend ratio ?

hanks for all your help. Closeing in on a deal of a left over 07 Duramax ext. Cab. Still fighting out the details. With any luck should get it wrapped up this week. I'm not real pleased with the color but the boss says it matches the trailer. If this all goes through, I will have queations. I have never owened a Diesel before

jpmorgan37

Bill;

You'll never go back to gas, after you get used to the diesel. Great truck, you'll love it.

Congratulations,

John

BluegrassMan

Hey Goldwinger:

What gears are you running ? It seems that I'm running over 2000 just about all the time, I have 4:30's, I can pull hills great though. I still have low miles on it (3000) and am getting poor fuel mileage.

jpmorgan37

I had 3.73's in my GMC and cruised at 1800 RPM. I have 4.88's in my F550 and cruise at 2300 RPM. Wish I had an overdrive for those long flat runs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Denny, the GM Duramax/Allison is only available with 3.73's. I've heard low mileage from another 08 F450 owner too. His was brand new and had low miles. He was hoping it would improve after getting some miles on it. He pulls a Cyclone, 4012 I think.:confused:

Gary Steeves

Our 2005 Duramax is nothing but a joy ! We live in the mountains, so we are used to the hills pulling our Big Horn that weighs 14,000 lbs. The 2500HD, 4X4, SRW with the diesel and Allison is an awesome combination. Mileage is 12.3 from North Carolina to Florida and 20.0 unloaded, highway at 2,000 rpm. I have no mods to the engine - strictly stock.

Go for it ! --- Enjoy !

buckeyebob

gary ,i have a 2007 new style chevy 2500hd crew cab duramax.i bought it in august and pulled my zeppelin (6000 )loaded.6 trips or so.do you always use the tow haul mode ?it will downshift downhill like it is supposed to.if i was going down a BIG grade how much rpm is too much?the manual shift mode is for stayig in a specific gear i know that,but would it also be in tow haul mode?the duramax instruction manual is a little lacking in info!!!!i routed my crankcase warmer cord ,but dont have any way of telling if it works.i gotta say its an awsome truck!!!i just have to learn some of the tricks of the tranny.there is no diesel smell at all.the tow mpg was 12 and around town 15 on the road 18-19.buckeyebob

Ok, We did it!! We took the plunge, bit the Bullet, What ever, We picked up a 2007 Chevy Duramax 3/4 Ton Extended cab this afternoon. This will be the first Diesel I have ever owned. After living through the GM Diesels of the 80's I swore I would never own a Diesel. Oh well, I swore I would never get married again and look at me now!
Being a complete rookie at this, I'm sure I will have many questions. Looking foreward to everyones input.

Bill & Judy

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Oh man... The Duramax is an awesome motor. You know what they say... "Real trucks don't have sparkplugs!" Don't even hesitate on this one.

Netem

For anything you need to know about the Duramax go to thedieselplace.com Good luck with the new truck:D

navyAZ1

I am on my second Duramax and I love em, only advice I can give you is what I was told to keep your fuel filter changed as directed and use only GM fuel filters. Don't know why but for some reason the after market brands for the Duramax seem to clog. I have done this and have had no problems at all. I really love my 07 over the 04 I have more power and Oh Boy I am in love with the 6 spd Allison with the manual shift mode. Good Luck with yours.:D