RV Washing Blue Beacon

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I know several of you folks have used Blue Beacon to clean up the RV after or during trips. I just called and got a price of $44 for a basic wash for truck & trailer and $65 for wash & wax. Great prices I think. My question, how much to tip?

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Ray, with your thick wallet, Why are you asking the rest of us. Let me know how they do.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

jdamude

I know several of you folks have used Blue Beacon to clean up the RV after or during trips. I just called and got a price of $44 for a basic wash for truck & trailer and $65 for wash & wax. Great prices I think. My question, how much to tip?

Watch some of there soaps contain some abrasive chemicals. It may stain the decals on your unit.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, with your thick wallet, Why are you asking the rest of us. Let me know how they do.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

Funny Randy! Thick wallets in my case means lots of cards. Memberships, Medicare, Concealed Carry etc. Not much cash though.:eek:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, my wallet is a little lighter than yours. No cash.
So the only tip I could give is "Don't look directly at the sun".

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I go to the BB, I always ask for low pressure and no chemicals. Then get the Rain-X rinse and you're all set.

JanAndBill

Back in the day, we used an epoxy finish on our over ther road trucks, because of the harsh conditions they were exposed to, as opposed to the softer fiberglass gel finish on my BH. The truck wash facilities because of what they were forced to clean, used some pretty harsh chemicals and reportedly abrasives, to get the trucks clean, and over time we would see the epoxy finish degrade. Personally I would NEVER take my BH through a commercial truck wash. We can wash ours in less than 45 mins., me on a short ladder doing the top half, and DW on the ground doing the lower part, and I KNOW what's being used.

truknutt

Committed Member

I usually "donate" $4 per guy washing the rig. The crew in Carlisle, PA are nice guys and treat me very well. Never had an issue with my decals. Basic wash w/Rain-X. Occasionally I have them scrub & shine the tires (10). That poor guy gets an extra tip.

yport

I actually asked Kary how to care for the exterior of my new partial painted BH ... he checked direct with the paint division and was told to never use the typical wash/wax liquid cleaners, but suggested Blue Dawn liquid detergent (remember that's the detergent that got all the hype for cleaning the oil off the birds from that Gulf oil spill). Then they sent me a Precision Painting pamphlet on proper care ... washing and waxing.

I think (?) it was Jim Beletti that I forwarded it to and he posted it on the Heartland Manuals page for all to see ...

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/...Precision_Paint/RV Care Instructions 2012.pdf

I wash only with the Blue Dawn now and it sparkles nicely.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I usually "donate" $4 per guy washing the rig. The crew in Carlisle, PA are nice guys and treat me very well. Never had an issue with my decals. Basic wash w/Rain-X. Occasionally I have them scrub & shine the tires (10). That poor guy gets an extra tip.

Dave had this done right before the PA rally last year. I could not believe how his Cyclone shined. Like brand new!!

Ray LeTourneau

Well the Blue Beacon experience was a good one. I went for the wash & wax for $65. Never having been there before I was a bit unsure as to the process but when I arrived there were 3 trucks in line so I just got in and waited. It seems to work like a car wash. Keep pulling around till it's your turn. The guy comes out and discusses options and you pull in, get out to pay and pull out. I was so impressed with the job I gave them a $20 tip. Well worth it in my opinion.

traveler44

Thanks! For the information about Blue Beacon truck washes. The only question I have is do they do the rubber roof properly or is this washing the sides only? Tom

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I'd be interested in knowing the answer to the roof question as well. Also Ray, how long was the process from pull in to pull out. almost every trip I take south goes down 84 and right past the Blue Beacon in Montgomery NY. I could/would schedule that stop into my trip for sure.

danemayer

Blue Beacon has overhead showers that get the roof but I don't remember if they use brushes on the roof.

Ray LeTourneau

Ya know, I never even questioned them about the roof. I had just done it before leaving FL so it wasn't even on my mind. I did see a roll about set of steps outside by the door so I think they have the ability to do roofs.

jbeletti

I've been to at least a dozen Blue Beacons and none have ever done the roof with brushes (or pressure hoses). I have gotten the bath from overhead, though I think that's a rinse and RainX.

Note that one time, I had the rig washed at a non-Blue Beacon and I asked them to wash the roof. Mistake. They had their hoses up there and there is SO MUCH grease on those hoses from dragging them across the hitch plate of tractors and such, that grease was all over the radius's of the roof. Also, they got grease on the rear cap corners as their hoses rubbed there as they walked by. Bad wash job for sure. Somewhere on the north edge of St. Louis.

truknutt

Committed Member
Each time I use the Carlisle, PA facility they turn on the overhead shower. It is primarily to get the dirt & dust off that will eventually turn into black streaks. They DO NOT use brushes up there. It's hard to say how long a visit will take. You have to wait in line for the big rigs to get done. Some get a quickie and others get the works. Some only get reefer wash outs. The time from actually entering the wash bay to exit is no more than 30 minutes (wash & Rain-X). The one thing I do not like at the Carlisle facility is that as you pull around the building to the entrance you finally see how many are in line ahead of you. There is no way to escape once you are in line. I don't know if the other facilities are set up the same way or not. Now I park out front either walk around back to eye-ball the lines or go inside and use their camera monitors for the visual.

Attachments

• BlueBeacon6.jpg
    BlueBeacon6.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 88
  • BlueBeacon5.jpg
    BlueBeacon5.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 88
  • BlueBeacon4.jpg
    BlueBeacon4.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

The time from actually entering the wash bay to exit is no more than 30 minutes (wash & Rain-X). The one thing I do not like at the Carlisle facility is that as you pull around the building to the entrance you finally see how many are in line ahead of you. There is no way to escape once you are in line. I don't know if the other facilities are set up the same way or not. Now I park out front either walk around back to eye-ball the lines or go inside and use their camera monitors for the visual.
Portage WI is the same situation. Once you get in line there is no way out.