RVLock V4.0 with Full Body Paint

danemayer

Just installed the RVLock on our 2011 Landmark. One problem. The footprint of the new lock is a little smaller than the original. Since we have Full Body Paint, the difference is obvious as shown in this photo. There's also a small unpainted area at the bottom that you can't see in this photo.

Rather than re-tool the lock, would it be possible to create a stick-on black plastic flange, or perhaps even a black decal that matches the color of the lock and extends the footprint to match the OEM lock?

RVLock.jpg

Garypowell

One would think the manufacturer would know of the mismatch and supply something.

I would also also think that HL would have some touch up paint that once used only you will know it is there. Call HL with your vin and..............sorry could not resist!

you are so helpful to others my guess you have a hot key copy of that line!

best

jbeletti

...I would also also think that HL would have some touch up paint that once used only you will know it is there...

Gary - tiny bottles of touchup paint is supplied with full-body paint coaches. Not sure how that would look dabbed on though.

jbeletti

... The footprint of the new lock is a little smaller than the original. Since we have Full Body Paint, the difference is obvious as shown in this photo. There's also a small unpainted area at the bottom ...

Dan - My non-painted area reveal is smaller than yours, so I won't be doing anything on my coach. But yours at the top is real noticeable.

It's obvious that Heartland sends coaches out to paint with the door handle installed and that the paint shop does not remove the handles for paint. I like the idea of a sort of trim plate. Maybe like those super-thin flexible cutting boards but in black and trimmable.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had the same issue when we installed our earlier version RV lock...I used the supplied touchup paint carefully...looks great and is not noticeable.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would think a small piece of adhesive-back black vinyl would be easy to get from a sign shop. Cut it to a shape what looks like it's supposed to be there and you're in business

chiefneon

Howdy!

Dan, not to change the subject but how do you like the RVlock. We just had one of the manuel locks fail on our new Cyclone 4000. I'm considering purchasing one of these keyless locks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

pegmikef

I'm not Dan, but I do have the lock. It is great! Easy to install and I don't have full body paint, so no problem. Wife loves it because she doesn't have to carry around a key. Right now, RV Lock is throwing in an extra key fob ($40.00) to Heartland members who purchase the lock.

jbeletti

Chiefneon - if you do get the keyless entry lock, consider getting a keyed alike replacement handle for your second door. Handy to keyed alike and what appears to be a better locking mechanism than OEM.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Larry&LyndaSmith

Past New Mexico Chapter Leaders
We just installed the lock on our 2012 BigHorn and we are really pleased with the fit, finish and operation. I strongly recommend this accessory.

danemayer

Howdy!

Dan, not to change the subject but how do you like the RVlock. We just had one of the manuel locks fail on our new Cyclone 4000. I'm considering purchasing one of these keyless locks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Gary,

I've had the original keyless entry for 3 1/2 years and I much prefer it over using a key; same as with the car and truck. I got a FOB for the original system 1 1/2 years ago and have rarely used the keypad since then. But I've had a couple of problems with the original keyless entry. This past February, it lost it's enrollment memory and I had to take the window out to re-enroll the keypad and FOB. What a pain.

All that to say that the RVLock has the same functionality as the original equipment (plus FOB), but the enrollment process is much simpler. Also, it's not dependent on power from the coach and won't fail when the door contacts get dirty. A slight downside is that there are batteries that probably need to be replaced every 6 months.

Installation was pretty easy, but I think the instructions could be a lot better.

I can't speak to RVLock reliability because it's only been a few days.

Bottom line is that I like having a keyless entry and I really like the FOB. The only thing that would be better would be an RFID solution like DW's Prius has. If the key is in your pocket, you can unlock the door by touching the handle.

Btw, for RVLock people reading this, you might think that RFID is not a big improvement. But I can tell you that when Toyota took the RFID sensor off the hatchback lock on the 2010 Prius, I was pretty peeved because I was used to it on our 2005. Keypad beats using a key. FOB beats using a keypad. RFID beats using the FOB.

jbeletti

Btw, for RVLock people reading this, you might think that RFID is not a big improvement. But I can tell you that when Toyota took the RFID sensor off the hatchback lock on the 2010 Prius, I was pretty peeved because I was used to it on our 2005. Keypad beats using a key. FOB beats using a keypad. RFID beats using the FOB.

NFC - I'd love that! Touch my phone to the lock :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had one of the original RV Locks, and it had some intermittent issues. However, I still preferred it over using a key. Now we have the v4, and it's even better. Remotes work from 10 feet away. Keypad works great! Only problem is the code we picked, one of the numbers is harder to push due to the location on the pad. Will probably just select a new code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azbigfoot

Dan,

I've heard there are some autobody paint shops that will put paint into a spray can. That might make a nicer looking paint job than painting by hand with a brush and you can tape off the area for any overspray. You just have to provide them with the paint information which should have come with your Landmark info.

Jeff

porthole

Retired
Since the lock is a "replacement item" I don't understand why the size does not cover the existing lock area.
Our trailer is not painted, but it is obvious where the old lock was positioned on the door.

RB2012

just a quick note . I purchased the rv lock at Urbanna Va. I showed the problem to the owner of rv lock with the full body paint and he said that a gasket was in the making , I have called twice but no return call from rv lock support as to the gasket Rb2012 Richard