Electrical Problem

I have a 2925 Bighorn and we are in Florida for the winter. Tonight some of the 12 volt lights in the main slide have stopped working. The dining room light, wall sconce and the reading lights are dead. The paddle lights (I think that what they called) are working. Checked the fuse, no light and took it out and inspected and it is fine.

Question, how do I begin to find the problem?I have no idea on how the wire gets out into the slide.

This happened once before and they started working on their own. By the way, the trailer has been parked since November so it is not the result of moving the unit.

Thanks

jbeletti

Ron,

If the fuse is good, then it's likely a wiring issues. Check underneath that slide room from the outside. Look for a flex guard on one end of the slide, underneath. That flex guard carries the wiring for the slide (12 volt DC and 110 volt AC). Look for anything unusual. Broken flex guard, loose or stretched wiring etc. Also, inside the coach, on the wall down low, you may have an electrical box that is surface mounted with a blank plate on it or maybe a box recessed into the wall with a blank plate on it. This is a splice or junction box. On my Landmark, the 110 volt AC line from under the slide, came together with the wiring in the slide room itself, in this box. I had a service center put an outlet in the box for me to have a convenient place to charge my laptop. Anyway, it's a long shot but maybe the same box doubles as the 12 volt DC splice point and maybe there is an open connection in there.

Hopefully the factory will weigh in here with some ideas as well. If you are not comfortable with tackling this electrical issue, you may be better served by stopping into an RV service center or dealership. Sounds like a pretty basic fix once they troubleshoot it.

Best of luck,

Jim

Electrical Problem Found

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking under the slide found both the 110v and 12v go into the slide at the front of the slide. The box under the blank plate is 110v only. The first fixture at the front of the slide is one of the little reading lights. Took that down and found I can make all the lights in the slide go off and on by moving the wires inside the fixture. Apparently a short inside the fixture. Now I need to find out how to get a new one.

By the way, want to thank you and all the other posters on this site. I have had this unit since the fall of 2006 and I think I have just about all the problems others have had (AC flow, slide rollers, tank valves, shade issues, etc., etc.) and the posts (somrtimes with pictures) have enabled me to make repairs and saved me TONS of frustration.

Thank you all.

Ron