The different sounds of living in an RV - and your interactions with animals.

Seren

As a newbie to the world of living in an RV, I found that there are different sounds, or level of sounds to get use to. Some are obvious such as the water pump, a louder AC (compared to our S&B). Some I found interesting like how loud rain sounds on hitting the roof, and some takes a while to figure out, such as when it is windy the topper over the bedroom slide rattles against the slide, which sounds like a squirrel walking on the slide (I even thought that it might be a bird nesting between the topper and slide).
Just like knowing all the sounds of your car/truck, I am sure there are sounds that you have never heard before and know that something is wrong. What sounds are the "that is not good" sounds that I should check out right away? And speaking of birds, what are some interesting animal interactions that you have experienced (anyone actually have birds trying to nest on their RV)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JanAndBill

Wait till you encounter a hail storm in one!!!! You don't know the true meaning of being in a barrel untl you do :cool:

MTPockets

Birds will nest in your pin box and make quite a mess of it.

Kristy
One time, after being startled when cleaning around the pin box, I bumped my head when a bird flew out right by my face. I cleaned out the nest (no eggs) and stuffed plastic bags in the space so they wouldn't do it again.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Mark has had to stuff ours full of things to keep them out. They have been persistent this year.

Kristy

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mark has had to stuff ours full of things to keep them out. They have been persistent this year.

Kristy

I have had a persistent bird this spring and he even got mad at me for tearing down his nest. He flew in one day with pieces just as I was pulling his earlier work out and looked at me like what are you doing to my nest. He flew up to a nearby branch and squawked for a few min and has not been back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellie

We had some very persistent barn swallows building underneath our slides at the lake where we park our Bighorn for the camping season. I found the only thing that worked was to hang a windsock with streamers at each end of the slides. (I had to trim some of the streamers so they didn't drag in the dirt.) The windsocks also worked like a charm on our boat lift, where we constantly battled the swallows building under the canopy. I just buy the cheapest dollar store kind, and replace them every spring.

dbbls59

I had a small bird make a nest in the insulation under the fridge vent on a SOB. I've had many make nest in the pin box.

olcoon

Have had several birds try to live in the pin box. Some friends of ours had bees take up residence in there & even made it inside the camper!

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
A sound that you may want to investigate would be "metal-on-metal"...example would be when pulling in or taking out your slides. This happened to me just a couple weeks ago when I was about to do some spring cleaning in the rig. DH said the gear rails needed to be lubed...so I got the special spray and walked around to all slides & took care of it (he made a point to tell me to NOT get it on the hydraulic mechanisms). I had to go through the motions twice: spray, bring slides in & out...spray again...but it worked and now it sounds like it should.
Also, we had birds in the pin box area...DH got a heavy wire mesh, like a piece of "fencing" and bent it in such a way (like a box missing 2 sides) as to fit all around the area...haven't had a problem since:) We did buy mesh wire covers for the vents that run along the kitchen slide for fridge...they can be found at Camping World...to keep critters like bees/wasps from making nests.

Seren

A sound that you may want to investigate would be "metal-on-metal"...example would be when pulling in or taking out your slides. This happened to me just a couple weeks ago when I was about to do some spring cleaning in the rig. DH said the gear rails needed to be lubed...so I got the special spray and walked around to all slides & took care of it (he made a point to tell me to NOT get it on the hydraulic mechanisms). I had to go through the motions twice: spray, bring slides in & out...spray again...but it worked and now it sounds like it should..

What was the "special spray" that you used for the slides?

Seren

Wow, I was half joking about the birds, since I would have thought that the close human activity would be a enough to keep them away, unless of course that most of these occured when the RV was in storage and not being used for months at a time.

MTPockets

Wow, I was half joking about the birds, since I would have thought that the close human activity would be a enough to keep them away, unless of course that most of these occured when the RV was in storage and not being used for months at a time.

Our nest was there in just few days at fairly busy campground.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
One sound that scares the bajesus out of me is a close lightning strike. I mean within 50 feet or so.
I think the roofs that are now full laminated are noisier than the old style of bat insulated roofs. We had a Class C with a laminated roof and even light rain was pretty noisy. they seem to transfer sound better.

scottyb

In my case, the bedroom AC serves as sort of a "white noise". I occasionally return to my rig and am surrounded by loud noises. I sleep like a baby with the AC going and don't hear all the activities going on outside.

Attachments

• IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 75

priorguy

This doesn't apply to 5er owners but the terrible sound a friction sway bar make when wet. Sounds like the rear axel of the truck and frame are twisting to their death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seren

In my case, the bedroom AC serves as sort of a "white noise". I occasionally return to my rig and am surrounded by loud noises. I sleep like a baby with the AC going and don't hear all the activities going on outside.

Ahh, great idea. Well then it is a good thing that my Landmark has a bedroom AC. Remember the words of Yoda "White noise, good it is - sleep you may"

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Seren: the "special spray" is a product made by Protect All and is called slide-out dry lube protectant.