wheel well skirts

HOOKERUP

Need to change way wheel skirts are fastened. Screw areas crack from flexing.Had door side replaced already now to get other side replaced under warranty. Need to mold where screws are thicker.

pegmikef

When that happened on my TTs, I just put washers on so the surface area for the screw pressure was larger. Worked well.

scottyb

Need to change way wheel skirts are fastened. Screw areas crack from flexing.Had door side replaced already now to get other side replaced under warranty. Need to mold where screws are thicker.

I had the same problem with our Cyclone. I acquired the new skirt while under warranty. There was a topic a while back about using shelf brackets to reinforce the skirt so that it doesn't shake itself apart. It is on my list of "to do's" before the next outing.

Gary521

When I got the trailer years ago, I noticed that the skirts were not reinforced on the bottom side very well. I fabricated some struts out of aluminum to keep them from waving in the wind as went down the road. This helped a bunch.

Gaffer

I think someone posted a way to reinforce them on the back with fiberglass or epoxy. It has been a while.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
HL replaced the skirts on both sides of our BH at the 2013 Goshen rally, along with the broken FlexGuard (?) under the entertainment slide. By the time I got the rig back up to our CG (350 miles) the DS skirt was showing cracks at some of the screws. You can see it flapping in the breeze in the mirror as you go down the road. The ODS one does have a reinforcement, but not on the DS. And a couple of weeks ago, while working on the rig, I found the FlexGuard had again cracked right where it bends in the center. Think I'll just repair it like i did the first one by riveting a strip of old inner tube across the break so the cable rubs on it and not the edges of the plastic. An engineering consideration might be to investigate changing that material from stiff plastic to a rubber-like material, such as reinforced EPDM.