Livingroom TV gets less channels than the bedroom

SeattleLion

We tried out our over-the-air reception today. Before I go further, to save posts on the obvious:
  • I know a lot about electronics and TV
  • All connections are solid
  • The Off-the-air power is on
Ok, this is an odd one. I live in a remote spot not too far from Seattle. I turned on the bedroom TV and scanned for channels. I found 10 digital. So far, so good.

I went into the livingroom and ran the scan there. All the TV there could find was 3. Now, both TV's are new. Both work on satellite and DVD/BluRay. Clearly something is happening between the bedroom and the livingroom. According to the wiring diagram, the antenna cable goes into the bedroom closet and through the power booster. It then splits to go to the garage and the livingroom. So, the signal does pass through a couple of splitters both before and after the bedroom TV. Each splitter should have a maximum loss of 3db (10db is half the signal). Given that we have the booster on, there shouldn't be so much signal drop that we lose 3/4 of the signals. There is no issue with the bedroom or any other room lights. I turned them all off just to be sure.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have experienced a 2 to 5 station difference between the brands of TVs in the BDRM vs the Living area. I've talked to many others who have experienced the same thing. Guess the brand of TV can actually make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonz46

If Im not mistaken, a 3db signal loss is equivalent to 1/2 signal loss. I suggest running an external cable from the coax going to the bedroom TV directly to the living room TV and bypass all the inboard splitters and wiring. This should tell you if the difference in channel acquisition is due to sensitvity of the TV's or is due to the loss in the splitter and cable.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the exact same model TV in both the bedroom and living room, except for the size (19" in BR, 24" in LR - both Vizio's).

They both pull in the same channels, however, I've found that when I scan for channels on either TV, I make sure that the other is turned off, otherwise I don't get as many channels on the TV that is scanning if the other is turned on at the same time.

TXTiger

I have had the same problem. Would try JohnD's suggestion but I just went with Dish and a PathwayX2 to get more channels.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have experienced a 2 to 5 station difference between the brands of TVs in the BDRM vs the Living area. I've talked to many others who have experienced the same thing. Guess the brand of TV can actually make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Even when I had Vizio front & rear, the older Vizio (LR) didn't acquire as many stations. Not to change the subject but on Cable, I have a great picture in the Bedroom but the "local channels" on the LR TV are not as clear and have diagonal lines. I know I have an issue with the cable from the amplifier because I connected the cable directly to the LR TV and all was good. Another little project to add to the short list.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our lr and br tvs are Sony and they both get different amount of channels when scanning. I have not tried turning one off when scanning but will try that next time.