Fresh water storage Heartland North Trails 2014 27BHDS

seanh

I am thinking about buying the North Trail 27BHDS but I am disappointed with the fresh water Storage only being 36 gallons. Most of the other Manufactures offer at least 52 gal fresh water storage for same layout. If I order one from the factory can I get a bigger tank or can the tank be upgraded at the dealer? I camp almost completely of grid with no hook ups.

danemayer

Hi seanh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030 and ask for the North Trail team to find out if they can do a custom order like this. I'd guess not, but it's worth calling. Your dealer would probably be willing to do it for you at additional cost assuming there's a tank that fits.

Sumo

I feel your pain, would love, love, love, to have 80 to 100 gals of fresh water on board.

priorguy

That's all that most "lite-weight" trailers get. Anything can be done for a cost, just not sure what that cost would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Just another thought - the fresh tank usually sits over the axle(s) and the extra weight of additional water could be a problem unless the axles and springs (and maybe tires) were upgraded as well.

evolvingpowercat

Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon, so we are only talking about 100 pounds difference here. The TTs are rated to hold 900 pounds payload including the water so it might be do-able but it might reduce the non-water payload correspondingly.

seanh

Thanks for the reply's. I am just wanting to upgrade about another 20 gallons so that is 166 lbs. I am sure that is not going to over rate the tires and suspension. I will check with the dealer and the manufacturer. I would think it couldn't be that hard to do. I looked at the Kodiak line and they are very similar campers and they have 52 gallon storage. I would have had to order one and wait 3 months. "Deal Breaker"

Willie13

Could you place a tank on the front of the camper, like on the hitch and connect it with a hose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I outfitted one of my aqua tainer 7 gallon jugs with a hose bibb. This allows me to transfer water into my onboard tank relatively easily. I have several of thes jugs and can take as much water in an easy to handle manner. I can usually have a good idea how much water I need. I can also easily refill the containers and transfer more,if needed, for longer stays.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B001QC31G6
Walmart usually has these for around $12 but can vary when they have them in stock.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
RV friendly funnel for fresh water tank fill . . .

I have both a 5 and an 8 gallon water containers, both with wheels, that I take for when I need to get water for the camper when we are in a site without a water hookup.

These work great, except for one problem . . . a funnel!

I have been trying to find a funnel that will stay facing up so that one person can perform the water dump into the trailer . . . with no avail!

I've bought several . . . even tried to engineer them to make them work . . . but always need a second person to hold the funnel in place.

And even then I still get half of the water on my feet or the ground :mad:

Anyone have an idea or know of a funnel that will stay pointing up without splashing half of the water back on your feet?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: RV friendly funnel for fresh water tank fill . . .

You might want to try adding a hose on the end of your container spout.
Just stick the hose in the fill hole.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

You might want to try adding a hose on the end of your container spout.
Just stick the hose in the fill hole.

Peace
Dave

The spouts don't accept a hose . . .

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
replace the plastic faucet with a hose bibb like I did. It is a permenant replacement but I just dedicate one for this purpose

20140428_065802.jpg

20140428_065737.jpg

M

Mcreech

I am thinking about buying the North Trail 27BHDS but I am disappointed with the fresh water Storage only being 36 gallons. Most of the other Manufactures offer at least 52 gal fresh water storage for same layout. If I order one from the factory can I get a bigger tank or can the tank be upgraded at the dealer? I camp almost completely of grid with no hook ups.

I also want to point out that you have a 6gal water heater so you do have 42gallons of fresh water..... Again, I just want to make sure all the correct information. I understand this still might not meet your needs....

Thanks for your consideration.

Mike Creech

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

I forgot to add that these do come with spouts and a dust cap. I went down to our local farm and ranch store and made some longer ones from items they sell every day. Zero water or fuel on the ground and no funnel needed.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I also want to point out that you have a 6gal water heater so you do have 42gallons of fresh water..... Again, I just want to make sure all the correct information. I understand this still might not meet your needs....

Thanks for your consideration.

Mike Creech

Your right that the water heater holds 6 gallons of water but it is also hard to use that water when your pump runs dry from your fresh water tank.

It is good to make sure that your water heater is full of water when filling the fresh water tank, otherwise, when you turn your pump on the first 6 gallons used will be to fill your water heater with water.

I run into this issue when filling for my early spring outings when most of the water hookups are still shut off for the season. Sometimes I forget that the water heater was empty while filling the fresh water tank.

Gaffer222

I have both a 5 and an 8 gallon water containers, both with wheels, that I take for when I need to get water for the camper when we are in a site without a water hookup.

These work great, except for one problem . . . a funnel!

I have been trying to find a funnel that will stay facing up so that one person can perform the water dump into the trailer . . . with no avail!

I've bought several . . . even tried to engineer them to make them work . . . but always need a second person to hold the funnel in place.

And even then I still get half of the water on my feet or the ground :mad:

Anyone have an idea or know of a funnel that will stay pointing up without splashing half of the water back on your feet?

This water jug spout fit perfectly in the fresh water fill inlet. Stick it in and pull the vent plug on the jug and it's like Nascar gas can. Not quite that fast but very quick and no spills. Walmart usually has them in the stores also.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Desert-Traditional-Container/dp/B0002IW6IY

31BaKSvKtML._SY300_.jpg