Debit Card/ATM Card PIN #s

danemayer

Just wondering how you full timers handle PIN #s on your debit cards/ATM cards. Do you just take whatever # the bank issues? Visit the bank to change the PIN #? Don't use debit/ATM cards? Some other approach?

porthole

Retired
After the problems we have had with debit cards in the past year, I will never use them again except to get cash out since our income is all direct deposit.

I change the issued pins immediately, then once a year. You are much better off using credit card in place of debit cards

Hunter11

We have a credit/debit card associated with our checking account. Probably 90% of the time we use it as a credit card so we do not have to enter our PIN. We also carry a dedicated credit card just in case it is needed. We really only use the PIN when pulling money from an ATM if needed. We try and use the PIN with the card as little as possible.

danemayer

My question is not about how (or whether) you use the card. It's about how you manage the PIN.

Cards come with a PIN # assigned by the issuing bank. If you use the card, do you use the PIN they gave you, or do you have to visit the sticks and bricks bank that issued the card in order to get a PIN that you want? Or something else.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You would have to know a lot about me to determine the PIN for our ATM card since I set it, not the issuer. Some things get ingrained into your brain by an individual with a loud voice and a Sam Brown hat that you just don't forget. I absolutely refuse to accept a debit card and will close an account if the financial institution switches a basic ATM card into a debit/ATM card. Citizens Bank tried that on me, along with charging me for not using my card, and they became history in a heartbeat. Nice thing about a NCUA credit union is that you can access a NCUA ATM nationwide without paying for it. If you're on the road, you can go to their website and locate them.

I don't fear using my primary credit card since the issuer has been excellent in stopping any fraudulent usage and sending me a new one. I have other cards that I keep just in case that happens so I don't get stuck without one during the transition, especially when away from home. I don't like to carry large sums of cash, usually no more than $100, if that.

lynndiwagoner

I'm pretty sure you can change them on-line. It would probably be a good idea to use on-line services with your bank as you can keep a pretty good watch on transactions. We usually take a look at charges fairly often and have caught some fraudulent charges before things got out of hand.

Hunter11

Sorry, misunderstood. We use a PIN number we selected not the one the bank would issue. We had to make this request through our bank. My wife was able to get this done over the phone. I believe she could have also done this online by accessing our account.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm pretty sure you can change them on-line. It would probably be a good idea to use on-line services with your bank as you can keep a pretty good watch on transactions. We usually take a look at charges fairly often and have caught some fraudulent charges before things got out of hand.

Check your online services. You can probably set it up to send you an email whenever a charge is made to your card. Mine does that.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Mine too! I wouldn't recommend any Debit or Credit Card in which you have to call the bank and give someone on the phone a PIN. I am able to go online to our credit union and change the pin to whatever I want and get an email and/or text message sent to me the second any administrative changes are made to my account, including changing my pin. I might just be too distrustful, but in this day and age it is better safe than sorry.

Check your online services. You can probably set it up to send you an email whenever a charge is made to your card. Mine does that.

MCTalley

Last I checked, our credit union requires a visit to one of their branches to change the PIN. Up to now, that hasn't been a problem, but with our house for sale and us more or less home-basing five hours away from the nearest branch...

I've always liked setting the PIN to something I can remember rather than the assigned one.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we were fulltiming, we had a couple of nibbles where someone would try a small purchase on our Debit/Credit card to see if it went thru. Our CU caught it and called us to confirm. It wasn't coming from an online source as we did not use that card online. Apparently it was obtained at a retail establishment.
We cancelled and reissued a new card (the pin of our choice). When we would move to a new location, or state, quite often the transaction would be denied until the CU talked to us to verify that it was us making the purchase. This was done within a matter of minutes and I was happy to do it for our protection. Our CU has been very good about being proactive and contacting us before allowing any questionable purchase or withdrawl (even if it was us).
We have always chosen our own pin. The CU has several facts only known to us, that must be stated before any changes can be made. Trace

Last edited:

wdk450

I think it would be worthwhile to talk to your financial institiution issuing the card and find out IN ADVANCE if they will refund fraudulent activity on your debit card. I was talking to a member of my other RVing group last weekend about this, he said that he had about $1000 of fraudulent activity on his debit card, and the bank refunded it to him. I have heard other cases where the bank did NOT refund it.

I am no security expert, but I would only feel comfortable in changing a PIN number AT the bank. If on the road and unable to do this, I would ask the bank to cancel the card and issue me a PIN for the new one. If I MUST write down a PIN to remember it, I keep it on a password-protected USB thumbdrive on my keychain. I only use that thumbdrive in my computer when it is offline.

On this same "vein" see the story about Handprint vein scan (plus PIN) now being used instead of credit cards in Sweden:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456557,00.asp

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This is why we have stayed with BOA...they have always treated our debit card like a credit card. The track our spending and watch for purchases out of our pattern and they have always made good any fraudulent purchases very quickly with no issues. We are 100% protected from abuses...we had to change password at a branch ATM, if I remember correctly.

SeattleLion

Just wondering how you full timers handle PIN #s on your debit cards/ATM cards. Do you just take whatever # the bank issues? Visit the bank to change the PIN #? Don't use debit/ATM cards? Some other approach?

While I am not a full-timer, for years my bank was very far away. I tried everything I could think of to change the bank-assigned pin, but I just couldn't do it. I finally ended up living with the value they gave me. Some banks will let you set the pin at the time you open the account. But, of course you have to be there to open the account.

jjriker

We have always changed the pins on our debit cards. There are usually a couple different ways to do this. For one of our cards, there was a telephone number that could be called, totally automated process, and we changed the pins ourselves. For another debit card, we had to call the customer service people and they changed the pin for us. I think for the majority of financial institutions now, there is some way to get a pin changed other than physically visiting a branch.

porthole

Retired
My question is not about how (or whether) you use the card. It's about how you manage the PIN.

Cards come with a PIN # assigned by the issuing bank. If you use the card, do you use the PIN they gave you, or do you have to visit the sticks and bricks bank that issued the card in order to get a PIN that you want? Or something else.

And you were thinking this wouldn't get off track :cool:

We have wells Fargo. I change the PIN when a new car is received, only use the Bank supplied PIN for the "first use". I can change the PIN a WF ATM or at the branch, typically at an associates desk swipe terminal.

porthole

Retired
Those of you using your "debit card" as a "credit card" are still using a "debit card", and it is treated as such for protection. You "may" have zero liability, but if you have an issue, the differences between debit and credit cards are substantial.

One you are out the money up front and fight to get it back. The other you only have to file a claim to be protected and not be out any money until the claim is settled.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Have never had to fight to get any amount back...was put back in our account in a matter of hours!! Usually BOA knew it was a fraudulent charge before we did, and was already contacting us and making our account whole.

dave10a

Credit cards provide more consumer protection by law than debit cards. However, it is always wise to check the credit/debit accounts on-line frequently to assure there is no unauthorized activity. It is much easier to get it corrected during the pending period of time before the charge is actually debited--
What ever pin number one uses, bank or personal assigned, provides the same level of security-- it is a matter of personal convenience to change from the bank assigned. If the bank assigned the PIN it was done in a random manner and no one but you knows what it is. However it may put a burden to remember what it is.
Also many credit card companies allow people to modify their on line profile to alert you when a transaction is performed under certain situations-- like internet purchases, purchase amounts over a define value, over seas purchases and etc.