Which type of replacement vent lid is used on a 2011 32RL?

TxCowboy

All three of my roof vent lids need replacing but Camping World sells two types: Jensen and Ventline.Are these interchangeable or is there a specific type for my 2011 32RL?Thanks!

pegmikef

Re: Which type of replacment vent lid is used on a 2011 32RL?

I don't think they are interchangeable. When I had to replace mine, I just took one off and took it with me when I bought the replacements. That was on my North Trail.

oldmannj

All three of my roof vent lids need replacing but Camping World sells two types: Jensen and Ventline.Are these interchangeable or is there a specific type for my 2011 32RL?Thanks!
If you're talking the 14X14 vent lids I believe they are all the same. It's a standard opening.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The opening is standard and the size of the lids similar, but the hinge " mechanisms" are different. I recently changed one on a cargo trailer. Best to take the old to the store to get the right one if you can't find the brand name on the assembly.

TxCowboy

Gang, thanks for responding. Looking to buy online if possible. CW is too far away and my local place has a picture of Jesse James over the door.

I'll probably buy them online with overnight delivery and see if they fit. If not, I'll return them and get the other make.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

If you can see the hinge it is simple as picking the hinge out of the lineup.
I stuck a camera out the vent and took a picture of my hinge when I replaced mine.
It may be easy to determine from inside if it is the Jensen new style as the hinge is all molded plastic and not riveted like the other hinges.

rv_vent_hinge_match.jpg

TxCowboy

Looks to be a Ventline. Now, to find instructions on how to remove and install the cover....

BTW, I should be able to do this without removing the entire frame, right?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Ok, The easiest way to replace the ventline.
open the vent.

Remove the inside trim known as garnish usually 4 screws.

Remove the handle and the screen.

remove the screws for the crank hardware.

slide the crank arm off the old vent. Retain the clip that is on the crank arm if present
On the old vent cover Bend the end tab so that it does not block the hinge. Slide off. bend the tab on one end of the new vent hinge. Slide the new vent cover on. Bend the tab so that the tab now blocks the end so it will not slide off. Reconnect the hinge hardware as needed and reinstall the screen garnish.

TxCowboy

Sounds easy peasy. Will give it tomorrow or Saturday, if my local RV place has the lids in stock.

There's no new sealant needed for this replacement, right?

On a totally separate note, after I replace these three vent lids, is there a way to reduce the sun damage to these lids or is this just one of those items everybody replaces from time to time? My unit is 3 years old and all three are shot.

123camper

Make sure you get good one. You don't want to cheap out on these. I had to replace both of ours last year and I found some at camping world that were a lot sturdier than the original. I tried to find some metal ones like they put on the old trailers. No luck. Replacement is as easy as silverado23 states

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

No sealant needed as all of the disassembly except the actual lid sliding off the hinge is done from the inside.

As far as I know, It is just an item to replace occasionally. Now, It is possible, to buy the "unbreakable" polycarbonate type that are supposed to last longer, But I don't know if that really is the case. Some rv vent lids have lifetime warranty. The other option, if you order online, is to possibly get a metal cover. It would block all light and probably be noisy when it rains. It would also be more likely to be dented by hail.

Here is an example of the replacement metal cover
http://www.amazon.com/Ventline-Replacement-Trailer-Motorhome-Cover/dp/B0057A8S8O

The polycarbonate version example
http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ent-lid-fits-ventline-elixir-since-1994/17700

Lifetime warranty example
http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...acement-vent-lid-for-ventline-95-elixir/67935

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Sounds easy peasy. Will give it tomorrow or Saturday, if my local RV place has the lids in stock.

There's no new sealant needed for this replacement, right?

On a totally separate note, after I replace these three vent lids, is there a way to reduce the sun damage to these lids or is this just one of those items everybody replaces from time to time? My unit is 3 years old and all three are shot.

If all you're replacing is the outside cover, there is no need to remove the entire vent! Get up on the roof with the vent cap raised. Look at the rolled steel "hinge" ends and you'll see a tab on either end. Bend the tab (needle nose pliers or even a screwdriver) until it will slide into the tube on the body of the vent assembly. You may have to remove the vent cap handle from inside the rig in order to be able to move the mechanism enough to get the "roller" out of the cut-out in the vent cap race that runs the length of it. Slide off the old and slide on the new. Bend the end tabs to keep the thing in place, reattach the mechanism and handle, and you're done. No caulking required.

I just did one a couple of weeks ago on our FD cargo trailer. Took all of 15 minutes, including putting up a ladder to get on top. Simply removing the parts of the vent from inside the trailer will get you nowhere, you have to get on the roof. To remove the entire vent assembly, inside and out, is more work than you want to do and not necessary if it isn't broken.

While I was at it, I installed a MaxxAir cover on the vent to protect it. The original cap was old and got perforated by an icicle that fell off the firehouse roof where it was parked alongside. On my BH, I have MaxxAir covers on all of the vents, including the Fantastic Fan. Allows them to be open for ventilation, even if it's raining.

Try calling an RV parts store (other than CW) in the area. Those vent caps are not uncommon and you may save a couple of $$.

123camper

I didn't even think of amazon. I should of known amazon has almost every thing and that seems like a good price. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Ok, The easiest way to replace the ventline.
open the vent.

Remove the inside trim known as garnish usually 4 screws.

Remove the handle and the screen.

remove the screws for the crank hardware.

slide the crank arm off the old vent. Retain the clip that is on the crank arm if present
On the old vent cover Bend the end tab so that it does not block the hinge. Slide off. bend the tab on one end of the new vent hinge. Slide the new vent cover on. Bend the tab so that the tab now blocks the end so it will not slide off. Reconnect the hinge hardware as needed and reinstall the screen garnish.

Found a video that shows installation as Silverado23 describes above. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKORCcsBbfU

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

It really does not take long. There are approximately 9 screws to remove and a power screw driver makes it go really fast.

I replaced all three in my NT. The first took the longest. Once the first one was done. The rest were a breeze. I did not have a nice video to show me what to do prior to starting. I also figured out that I could do almost all of the work from the inside except inserting the lid hinge into the slot.

TxCowboy

Knocked out the lid replacement yesterday afternoon is less than an hour for all three vents. It did require a special tool, specifically, a driver bit shaped like a square, to remove the first four screws. The remaining screws were cross-tip and pretty easy to remove and reinstall.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!