Questions on 3055 Bighorn

We are very seriously considering the 3055. Some questions for you folks. A dealer told us that the Michelin XPS ribs would rub when the Equi-Flex system flexes. Anyone know about that? Does anyone know what the advantage of Aluminum wheels over regular wheels is? If you have the slide toppers, when they are rolled up in storage, is there a space under them where birds can get to build nests?

Dale Smith

Happy with 3055

We have a 2008 3055 which we are very happy with. Had the usual bugs at the start but between some work myself and at the dealer, we have put those behind us.
We have no experience with the michelin xps ribs you speak of, so we can't help you there.

We like the aluminum wheels for the clean appearance and maintenance free feature ( they will never rust ! )

When our slide toppers are rolled in I don't believe there is any room for a bird to set up shop. I would go outside and check, but the trailer is in winter storage at an indoor facility.

We went to the east coast of Canada this summer and had a great trip in the trailer....with no issues.

I am presently reading on the possibility of adding solar panels so we can boondock more than we do now.

Hope your research sees you in a new Bighorn some day soon !

Dale

3055rl

I have a 2008, 3055RL and I just changed the tires to the XPS ribs and on the first trip of 600 miles I had no rubbing problems at all. I also have the slide toppers and I don't think you have to worry about the birds either.
Mark

5erWonk

I can't answer you tire question, however the aluminum wheels do look great and are easy to keep up.

I did have a birds nest in the topper on the OD large slide topper, there was no harm that I notices and it cleaned out fairly easily.

I can't say enough about our 3055, except we don't get to use it enough!!

osims

bsims
I have an 06 3055 with XPS ribs and have run several thousand miles with no rubbing or problems, but I have Mor-ride which could be different than yours.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We have the 3055 and have no problems with XPS 235/85R16. Our unit came with 235/80R16 Mission(s) tires. The size of the tire is only 1/2 inch difference. I can't imagine the miniscule difference would be causing a rub on the Equalizer, or they wouldn't use a tire that close in size. Any free up and down motion must have sufficient clearance, or it would rub with the 235/80R16 tires and wheels.

3055 on order

:)We finally placed an order for a 2009 3055 Bighorn! Yea! We did get the aluminum rims and were able to order the 7000 lb. axles with the G614 Goodyear tires from the factory. We are having the Carefree of Colorado slide toppers added at the dealer and also the Fifth Airbourne pin box. The A&E electric awning now comes standard on the 3055. We also ordered dual pane windows. Expected delivery date is late March. We have had a
5th wheel for years but only used for a couple of weeks at a time and
weekends at the lake. We are now retired and have the time to really
enjoy the RV life.
We plan to take off mid to late April to spend about 6 months RVing Canada and Alaska. This is the dream trip of our lifetime. Thanks to all
of you for the info. What a great bunch of folks. The Heartland forum is
so helpful.
The Davidsons in Kansas