Doh! .... Set up twice in same site

MTPockets

We, as probably most do, go through a routine when setting up in a new campsite. Today I needed a couple blocks under tires for side to side leveling, then block the wheels, un-hitch the truck, lower legs to level, hook up electric, water, sewer. Finally open the slides that I know requires 3 ft. Clearance, only to realize I've only got 28 inches to the power pole (I measured) .... Had to disconnect, reposition, level, and reconnect in order to open the slides. First time for me. How about you?

Kbvols

We had our first 2 time try last year and was almost a 3 timer. At first we leveled wrong. Luckily I have 2 power cords and one is 6 inches longer than the other or it would have been 3 times. That's what happens when your mind is focused on a cold beer vs task at hand. Oh well. It happens.

Last edited:

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have what I call my slide out stick. It is marked with the dimensions of each of the slides. (They are all different lengths extended) Any time I am close, I can do a quick walk around the camper and check clearance before extending the slides to prevent potential "mishaps."

Miltp920

I thought I was going to have to move mine first trip out this year, but as I watched outside, the slide stopped with 1/2 inch gap to power box as I was yelling STOP. Lucky Lucky, should have gone and bought a lottery ticket. I like the slide stick measurer. I will make one, thanks.

MCTalley

We almost had one recently. I forgot to make sure our power cord would reach and after unhooking, leveling and putting out the slides realized that the cord would reach, but it would be hanging in the air (and putting pressure on the plug and outlet). So, with it being relatively mild weather and only an overnight stop, I just popped in the 30 Amp to 50 Amp dogleg and used it as a sort of 2 foot extension cord.

We did have a rehook and move in one park where we found that the pedestal was not working right (our EMS kept kicking out) and it was only a 30 Amp. Fortunately, our neighbor came out and handed us a park map and showed us that the adjacent site was a 50 Amp (they had them alternated for whatever reason). So, we hooked back up and moved over one site.

Gaffer

I carry a yard stick. It is a few inches longer than the slide. Quick and easy. If the yard stick fits between the closed slide and the hazard, the open slide will fit.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I use an extended arm method. The distance from my fingertips to the center of my chest always leaves a few extra inches for clearance.
The power cord length has tricked me a few times though.:eek:

stevenssr

I can remember two. Just a couple of weeks ago we took a weekend trip (2 nights) to a local state park. Since it was after hours I assumed I could park in any site and check-in in the morning (same process I've used in many other state parks). Turns out not at this one. I got up early the next morning to check in and they told me I could stay but I would have to change sites. Apparently, they have different kinds of reservable sites and the high end sites were booked. So, they made me wake the family up and change sites. Almost packed up and left, but I decided it was my fault for not knowing their system. Nothing more relaxing than packing up a complete campsite at the crack of Dawn just to move to the other side of the campground on a 2 day trip.

The second time happened with my old 30 amp trailer. Got to the site late as usual. Unpacked, got everything setup and the slides out, hooked up power and nothing. I didn't have a 50 amp adapter to try it, so I had to pack up and change sites. The next morning I got up and saw another TT in that site (they had a 50 amp adapter and it was working). Learned my lessons about being prepared for both electrical connections. That came in handy at a rally last year where the EMS would not connect to 50 amp connection due to low voltage in one line. Broke out the 30 amp adapter and it worked until the campground fixed the 50 amp connection. Turned out the outlet was bad and fine after replacement.

Just part of the experience I guess. On the incident I mentioned first, we got completely packed up, moved, and unpacked in less than hour. We were like a NASCAR pit crew.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Doh! ....

One thing I've noticed is that most campground sites are laid out to match up with old trailers and RV's.

For example . . . how about that power post we all know and love?

My old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 had the power cord coming out of the middle of the drivers side of the trailer . . . which is exactly where the power post is always placed at most campsites!

And I typically only had to pull about 5-feet of the power cord to plug it in.

My new trailer . . . the power cord is out of the very back of the trailer, so I usually have to pull the whole length of the power cord, then run it under the trailer, then under the slide out just to reach the power post.

And putting that cord back through that tiny little hole always results in a few skinned knuckles.

Same thing for the sewer hookups . . . usually toward the back end of where the RV sits in the site.

Old RV's . . . sewer drain out in the back . . . new RV's . . . sewer drain outs typically toward the middle of the RV.

I have a gray and black tank drain out in the middle and I mostly have to run at least 20-feet of pipe for that one.

Our Trail Runner has the rear kitchen, so it has it's own gray drain at the back . . . usually a 10-foot pipe for that one.

And the water hookup . . . same thing!

Every campsite we've been in with our new Trail Runner . . . the water hookups are always placed away from where they should be.

You can see all of these in the photo below (click to enlarge):

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

Next ? ? ? :rolleyes:

donr827

Re: Doh! ....

When I first started camping I did the same thing as MTPOCKETS. Now when I get to a site and back in the first thing I do is to get out the EMS and check the power and then if there is a question about the length to the pedestal I will pull out the cord and lay it out to make sure it will fit. I then check the extension of the slides to make sure they can be opened. All of this is done before I unhook the trailer.
Don

mobilcastle

I carry two pieces of rope with me that are marked for each side. I go out and measure quickly to make sure the slide can open up all the way if their is a question before I set up. I also carry a 50Amp extension cord if I need it-it is very heavy. So far the power reel line has made it just fine.:D I am sure my luck will run out one of these days.

scottyb

Yep, happened to me and it was 100 degrees. Had to re-hook and move over about 6 inches for the LR slide. You only do that once. Power cords are no problem since I carry a total of 100', 40' + 50' + 10'. I always plug in before unhooking because I'm usually trying the get the AC's on in a hurry, since it is usually very hot where I am traveling. I check the pedestal with a meter when I 1st pull into a site. Learned that one from experience too.

DonnyB007

Just curious...do you check site and then pay fees? If you do pay fees do you just pay one day if your EMS says OK?

i got stung last year, paid 2 weeks and then got on site and EMS said no go. Went back to get my money and no go! The owner pointed to a big red sign above him saying NO REFUNDS! But I was just to pooped to notice it when I just got in? Dag nabbit!

JanAndBill

Just curious...do you check site and then pay fees? If you do pay fees do you just pay one day if your EMS says OK?

i got stung last year, paid 2 weeks and then got on site and EMS said no go. Went back to get my money and no go! The owner pointed to a big red sign above him saying NO REFUNDS! But I was just to pooped to notice it when I just got in? Dag nabbit!

Did they fix the power? If not I'm afraid the police would have been needed to separate me and the owner. I've had bad power pedestals before, sometime I've had to move to another site and sometimes they've fixed them on the spot.

DonnyB007

Did they fix the power? If not I'm afraid the police would have been needed to separate me and the owner. I've had bad power pedestals before, sometime I've had to move to another site and sometimes they've fixed them on the spot.

The owner did get an electrician and discovered that repairs to his distribution panel would be too costly and closed it up. The owner said other campers were hooked up to the power and it was up to me if I wanted to use his power or not. So I used his power to charge up my trailer battery and then boon docked it. The water was ok, but the sewer was smaller diameter dump hole - so I had to be careful how fast I dumped. Just a horrible two weeks anyway.

ParkIt

One thing I've noticed is that most campground sites are laid out to match up with old trailers and RV's.

For example . . . how about that power post we all know and love?

My old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 had the power cord coming out of the middle of the drivers side of the trailer . . . which is exactly where the power post is always placed at most campsites!

And I typically only had to pull about 5-feet of the power cord to plug it in.

My new trailer . . . the power cord is out of the very back of the trailer, so I usually have to pull the whole length of the power cord, then run it under the trailer, then under the slide out just to reach the power post.

And putting that cord back through that tiny little hole always results in a few skinned knuckles.

Same thing for the sewer hookups . . . usually toward the back end of where the RV sits in the site.

Old RV's . . . sewer drain out in the back . . . new RV's . . . sewer drain outs typically toward the middle of the RV.

I have a gray and black tank drain out in the middle and I mostly have to run at least 20-feet of pipe for that one.

Our Trail Runner has the rear kitchen, so it has it's own gray drain at the back . . . usually a 10-foot pipe for that one.

And the water hookup . . . same thing!

Every campsite we've been in with our new Trail Runner . . . the water hookups are always placed away from where they should be.

You can see all of these in the photo below (click to enlarge):

View attachment 29405

Next ? ? ? :rolleyes:
Started laughing at your first sentence because yes, what the heck happened on the new units and where everything hooks up?
2 different length water hoses (and once had to screw both together to reach the potable water tap), 4 sewer hoses with various sized clamps and large to smaller sewer fittings, 2 power cords (one 30' & one 50'...the 100' is a bit heavy to lug around) with two 50 to 30 amp adapters (one is 2', the other is 3'). That is way too much to have to haul around IMO but it wouldn't be an issue if the power wasn't coming out the back, the water in the front and the sewer in the middle!

I've got a 100' soft measuring tape that is marked length wise as to how much room between the back slides where the water and power have to snuggle in between them...and marked for the back power to where the pole is. Only missed it once so far by an inch which is why I don't do much more than put down planks and blocks for the tires for the first set up.

That is one thing I do miss from my RV - I could put it in just about any space and only need one water hose, one power cord and one sewer hose, drop the hydraulics and be set!

porthole

Retired
Setup twice where we are now.
State park in PA. State parks are known for a few things, trees and little light being two of them.

Anyway 2" of slide clearance at night did not show negative slide awning clearance.
Pulled the slide in a bit and called it a night.

Duane
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wdk450

I stayed at Thousand Trail Pio Pico Preserve in the San Diego area last Fall. They have their hookups near the FRONT driver's side of the trailer, with a vertical PVC sewer vent pipe that goes up about 8 feet in the air. Sure enough, the bedroom slide, a slide I normally don't worry about (since its up in the air), hit the vent pipe and I had to move the rig a few feet.

traveler44

I got all hooked up at one site in Fl. and then the guy behind us comes over and says he is handicapped and needs to park his car behind us so he will be closer to his front door. I'll admit he was walking with a cane but he didn't have any trouble running around all over the park in his golf cart and hopping out to talk to all of his buddies. I moved up about six feet anyway although I think the biggest problem was that he stayed there all year and we were just there for a week so he didn't like anybody next to him.

ParkIt

I got all hooked up at one site in Fl. and then the guy behind us comes over and says he is handicapped and needs to park his car behind us so he will be closer to his front door. I'll admit he was walking with a cane but he didn't have any trouble running around all over the park in his golf cart and hopping out to talk to all of his buddies. I moved up about six feet anyway although I think the biggest problem was that he stayed there all year and we were just there for a week so he didn't like anybody next to him.
I have music for that...especially now that I've set up the home system into the 5er.
Only thing I have to watch for is stuff rattling off the shelf ;)