EMS-HW50C Air Conditioner Time Delay Setting on a BC 3070RE

bigdob24

Getting a Progressive Industries 50 Amp Permanent Electrical Management System with Remote Display
to install in my BC3079RE.
i have read through all the threads and have not found any information on which setting to use for my AC delay.
seems like the factory setting is 15 sec delay. There is an optional setting for 136 sec delay .
anyone know what way to go?
Thanks

danemayer

136 seconds is the safer setting. Your air conditioners may be able to deal with the 6 second delay - or maybe not. Why take a chance?

stevenssr

I second what Dan said. It's all about the air conditioners and protecting them. Two minutes isn't long to wait for that peace of mind.

porthole

Retired
2014 trailer? Just about every AC unit made in the last 5 years has the delay built in.
Check your manual.

The delay is to allow the system to equalize refrigerant pressure across the low and high pressure sides.

When the AC is running (compressor) pressures can be around 30 psi on the low side in in excess of 300 psi on the high side.

The delay is to allow that pressure to equalize and reduce the startup up load-pressure in the compressor.

It is only an issue when electric service is connected, disconnected and reconnected without allowing that "de-pressurize" time.

Progressive has the setting as many older units had no built in delay and restarting the AC to quickly resulted in a lot of strain in the AC unit. Sometimes enough to trip a breaker.

brianharrison

If you choose to use the 136 sec delay be aware that this delay will be there every time you connect/reconnect to shore power. It can be a bit of a PITA if you are looking to use AC power as soon as you connect shore power.

Brian

bigdob24

Thanks for the info
will look through the AC paper work and see if mentions anothing and if not just set it at the 136 sec if in doubt.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Something to consider. If you have a long delay set on both your ac and your ems, it could take a while for your ac to restart each time the ems shuts down due to power issues or each time you plug in. A short delay on the ems and a long delay on your ac should be sufficient and let you recover from a power outage or get you up and running a bit faster when first connecting.

bigdob24

I did the install and set it at 136 sec.
Nice unit , easy to put into service.
the remote monitor is very handy, I mounted it in the basement on the side the RV power inlet is on . That way just plug in have a look to see whats going on and forget it.
thanks for the ideas and commits.