New tow rig

Subdrv

The wife and I are 3 weeks in to a cross country trip. Coming across Florida on I 10 the 450 decided it was tired and want a break so the motor quit. Still waiting on the answer to what went wrong, they have to tear it apart to fix it since the motor is locked up. We called AAA for a tow for it and the Cyclone. They send a rollback for the 450 and a small wrecker for the trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 295
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 295

porthole

Retired
Well that stinks. Still under warranty?

Did they consider towing your truck with the trailer attached? Wonder if there would be enough room once the front end was lifted.

Did you get a picture of the trailer hookup?

Trade in time?

I don't think you could swap the K 4 link though. 2011+ has different suspension.

Subdrv

Well that stinks. Still under warranty?

Did they consider towing your truck with the trailer attached? Wonder if there would be enough room once the front end was lifted.

Did you get a picture of the trailer hookup?

Trade in time?

I don't think you could swap the K 4 link though. 2011+ has different suspension.

I have an extended warranty, the tow truck driver said they could have towed both if they lifted the ford, your right the kelderman won't transfer. We would still had to drop the truck and re hook to get in the campground. I am looking at trading but can't do anything until I get the ford fixed. Just hate to loose the mods on the truck.

Subdrv

I have to check my phone for pics of the hook up, they used a 5th wheel plate on the lift. I don't think I have any close ups but will post what I have later.

Subdrv

I did find a couple of shots of the hookup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 264

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had to be towed in January from just outside Jacksonville tx back to Athens when my dually gave up on me. The tow company was going to send a big truck to tow both but could not find his adapter so they brought a roll back for truck and a guy with a 3/4 ton gasser to tow my BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

Ouch Rob, Sorry to hear about the F-450. Out of curiosity how many miles are on the truck? Where there any symptoms before the engine gave up?

Subdrv

Ouch Rob, Sorry to hear about the F-450. Out of curiosity how many miles are on the truck? Where there any symptoms before the engine gave up?

Bill

Just over 60k miles,I bought it 2 years ago with 42k, this is the same truck that blew the transfer case in half last August.
the dealer thinks it was an EGR cooler leak. The only symptom was a turbo spooled up just before the white smoke came out of the tail pipe. Engine rpm didn't go up. I had just gotten it out of the shop in St Augustine having the ball joints and degas bottle replaced. They though it was leaking I think they miss diagnosed the problem. The guys in Pamama City said there is away to check it by removing a line and checking for water but I'm not sure which one it is.

jassson007

Bill

Just over 60k miles,I bought it 2 years ago with 42k, this is the same truck that blew the transfer case in half last August.
the dealer thinks it was an EGR cooler leak. The only symptom was a turbo spooled up just before the white smoke came out of the tail pipe. Engine rpm didn't go up. I had just gotten it out of the shop in St Augustine having the ball joints and degas bottle replaced. They though it was leaking I think they miss diagnosed the problem. The guys in Pamama City said there is away to check it by removing a line and checking for water but I'm not sure which one it is.

same me exact thing that happened to us. Replaced horizontal EGR cooler prior to going belly up. Make sure that they also dump oil and check for metal shavings and of course water. All of our coolant leaked into oil pan but never got evidence like a gasser with a cracked block ie milky oil on dipstick. We replaced with a rebuilt block and then traded it as I did not trust it. I should have just traded it where it sat. Oh well.

B

BouseBill

Thanks Rob, we also have a 08 F450, bought last summer with just short of 26K miles on it. We now have 35K on it. Kinda glad we took our sons recommendation and purchased Ford's extended warranty at the time. I do know on the 6.4 diesel the ECT and the EOT should not be more than 15 deg difference between the two, or you're looking for an engine failure. And too, always let the turbos cool off before shutting down, I always idle till the EGTs are less than 300 deg.
Good luck on the engine, hope it works out for the best.
We have the Edge CTS monitor installed to keep a better eye on engine parameters, were you running any type of engine monitor?

Subdrv

Thanks Rob, we also have a 08 F450, bought last summer with just short of 26K miles on it. We now have 35K on it. Kinda glad we took our sons recommendation and purchased Ford's extended warranty at the time. I do know on the 6.4 diesel the ECT and the EOT should not be more than 15 deg difference between the two, or you're looking for an engine failure. And too, always let the turbos cool off before shutting down, I always idle till the EGTs are less than 300 deg.
Good luck on the engine, hope it works out for the best.
We have the Edge CTS monitor installed to keep a better eye on engine parameters, were you running any type of engine monitor?

I didn't have anything to monitor the temp other than the factory installed gauges, they were all normal until things went south then the temp light on the odometer readout came on for a couple of seconds and went out. I haven't decided if I'm going to trade it as soon as they fix it are not. I'm having a hard time convenceing myself it will be alright. But 60k+ for a new one is hard to justify.

B

BouseBill

Rob, whichever way you go, get some gauges for the truck, the idiot gauges are OK for going to the grocery store, but IMHO if you're towing heavy, they help in knowing what your engine is doing.

Subdrv

Rob, whichever way you go, get some gauges for the truck, the idiot gauges are OK for going to the grocery store, but IMHO if you're towing heavy, they help in knowing what your engine is doing.
I agree just don't know if they would have helped in this case. I had then on my 2000 f350!but never pulled heavy with it we were flat land in Florida and the boost was normal. I thinking new dodge 3500 dually but which ever way I go I'm adding the edge before I head west into the mountains.

jassson007

I didn't have anything to monitor the temp other than the factory installed gauges, they were all normal until things went south then the temp light on the odometer readout came on for a couple of seconds and went out. I haven't decided if I'm going to trade it as soon as they fix it are not. I'm having a hard time convenceing myself it will be alright. But 60k+ for a new one is hard to justify.

We fixed and drove for a week and started seeing the white smoke again on occasion so we traded. Got a good deal on a '14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The 6.4 in that 450 is a great engine. But almost every 6.4 engine failure I have seen have been in the 450's. Only thing I can figure is that they don't like turning the higher rpms from the super low gearing in the Diff's.

Though if the EGR is the cause. Just delete it and roll on.

Hope they get it fixed. If you plan to get another Ford wait until the the 2015 come out. They will be a beast. And the 350 should have a higher tow rating then the current Dodge 3500. But I would suggest a Dodge if you are open to other brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Subdrv

Thanks for the feed back I am looking at options, if I had my choice I think I have seen it post before it would be a ford chassis with the cummins engine and th allison trans lol