16" Michelin tires on my 3200ES

denhammkc

I called heartland tech support and the rep for my area of the US told me that 16" tires and wheels would not fit on my RV.
Needless to say he was wrong. I put 16" rims on from:http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/product/AW1603
and got Michelin XPS RIBS LT225/75/R16E info at: www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XPS RIB
They are only about 1" OD larger than the missions that were on the 3200ES to start and "E" rated at 80 PSI (2680LBS).
They fit and look great and only required very minor trim of the fender skirt with a utility scissors. I will submit a photo as soon as it warms up a little. The trimming was just the pointy tips at the bottom inside of the fender. And by the way there is still plenty of room between the two tires for my BAL tire chocks.
This is my first post I hope someone fonds it usefull.

frumbawa

I'm surprised that Heartland Support said what they said. 16 inch rims and tires with 6k axles is an option on the Sundance. Mine came that way. I am also looking at the Michelin Ribs but unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out how to pay off the Christmas bills.

Welcome to the forum.

fishn2dmax

I called heartland tech support and the rep for my area of the US told me that 16" tires and wheels would not fit on my RV.
Needless to say he was wrong. I put 16" rims on from:http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/product/AW1603
and got Michelin XPS RIBS LT225/75/R16E info at: www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XPS%20RIB
They are only about 1" OD larger than the missions that were on the 3200ES to start and "E" rated at 80 PSI (2680LBS).
They fit and look great and only required very minor trim of the fender skirt with a utility scissors. I will submit a photo as soon as it warms up a little. The trimming was just the pointy tips at the bottom inside of the fender. And by the way there is still plenty of room between the two tires for my BAL tire chocks.
This is my first post I hope someone fonds it usefull.

Are you kidding..... A Tech support / Rep person from Heartland told you that 16" rims and tires won't fit a Sundance? WOW...something is really wrong with that picture!!! A Heartland "rep" should know better his own product better than that!!!

My Sundance and the majority of the Sundances I've seen on Dealer lots, and on the road, all have the optional 16" rims and tires with the 6K axles. You can buy 16" trailer rims that will fit the 6 hole 5 K axles and you will not any any fitment issues. However, if you jump to a 16" 85 series LT tire, you may have fitment problems like I did. I tried to have the Michelins RIB LT mounted and they rubbed the skirts on MK-2900 when turning- just too tall, no amount of skirt trimming would totally solve the problem on the main slide side. I went with Maxxis 16" 80 series ST tires and took the china OEM ( Unicorns) off just as soon as I could afford to.

denhammkc

16" tires

I will be more specific, I asked the PHONE rep if I could upgrade to 6000 lb axles and 16" tires and he said the axles would have to be farther apart to accommodate the 16" tires and need new fender skirts, etc. I then asked if I could just ad 16" "E" rated tires and he said there would not be enough room between. I did get him to give me the rep phone # that they get the Mission tires from. I called and found the outer diameter of the 225/75/15D is 28.3".
The XPS ribs (LT225/75/16E) are 29.4", that is only 1/2 inch on each side, They fit fine. One tire rubbed however when I took it to a trailer shop they found the rear axle was twisted causing the passenger side 15" tire to wear badly on only the outer edge, and the frond driver side was fighting the raer twist and wearing out on the outside edge as well. with the new axle on the 16" does not rub and the trailer tracks better. After I put the 16" ers on I jacked up the axle for each tire to simulate road travel and bounce and everything was good but for my peace of mind I trimmed the pointed corners of under the fender skirt with a scissors. see photos.
I did get an Email to an email question from heartland that said the size they put on is
Tire size ST235/80R16 D RANGE
Wheel size 16 x 6 on 5/12 Aluminum Mod wheel
This was James Fenner
But I wanted "E" rated and 80 psi and at least i was able to find some.
Thanks

Attachments

• RV tires 001 (Small).jpg
    RV tires 001 (Small).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 50
  • RV tires 002 (Small).jpg
    RV tires 002 (Small).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 49
  • RV tires 004 (Small).jpg
    RV tires 004 (Small).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 35
  • RV tires 005 (Small).jpg
    RV tires 005 (Small).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
  • RV tires 006 (Small).jpg
    RV tires 006 (Small).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 52

StevieWonder

I'd like to put 16s and E rated tires on my 2800RLS. I suspect the issue might be the offset ... in layman's terms the distance from the outside of the wheel to the hub mounting flange. If that distance is the same or greater than the 15" version, the wheel/tire combo will sit wider and create rubbing issues on the outside of the tire against the fender well cover. This is a common issue in sportscar racing when going to a wider tire; problem solved with an adjusted offset to accomodate the wide tire section.

denhammkc

16" fit

I don't have the offset right off the top of my head however the link in my previous post for the rims has that info.
I would assume that your fender is similar to mine and I have no clearance issues, I trimmed the pointy corners it was alittle closer than I liked, I could run my hand along the outside edge of the tire and still clear the pointy corners but just, so I trimmed them.
Plenty of room.
LOLNone