Owners Manuals

Rob63

Yesterday, I de-winterized my 2014 Trail Runner for the first time. The weather here has finally gotten to the point that the temperature isn't dipping way below freezing at night and we're going on our first weekender trip in two weeks. Since it had been 5 month's since I bought it, there were a few things that I didn't remember when the dealer went through everything with me. I had taken quite a few notes but apparently not as many as I should have. Anyway, I found the water pump under the sink behind a false panel and had no problems finding the correct valve to turn on. I got all the anti-freeze drained out and it was time to switch the Hot Water tank bypass valves. I needed to fill the Hot Water tank and make sure everything was in working order. I searched and searched and couldn't locate them. I read through the owners manual and there was no information about their location. I took out every false panel I could find and no valves. I came here and downloaded and read the winterization .pdf which provides a few tidbits of information about de-winterizing, I searched google too. I found plenty of information on what needed to be done, but nothing on where things are located. Finally I called the dealer and was told where else to look. He told me that they are in different locations depending on the layout and where the Hot Water tank is on the trailer. They were found after removing the bottom drawer in the kitchen next to the stove. I'm happy to say that I had no issues whatsoever and everything works fine but those manuals leave a lot to be desired. They are generic and offer basic information when newbies like myself need things a little more detailed. I don't think it would be that difficult to include information on where to find valves when the manuals are created. Even a blurb saying, things are found here, here, here or here depending on model and layout would be helpful. Or maybe dealers could do this for the models they carry. Whether a person is buying the most basic model or the most extravagant model, it's still a lot of money you're shelling out and I would think a comprehensive in depth owners manual for each model would be something everyone would appreciate. This issue isn't unique to Heartland. I've read posts on other forums regarding the same problems for many brands too. I wonder why this seems to be universal in the RV industry.

sengli

I know when I had my first elkridge, the bypass valves were actually on the plumbing runs... on the backside of the water heater itself. There was a interior panel that came off, to access this.

DocFather

As Dan might suggest, go to "Tools" (above) and click on "Heartland Users Guides" and in the "Water System Guide" there is a page (page 7) for Dewinterization. I hope that helps.