Falling Closet Doors

JanAndBill

Over the last few weeks I've had to adjust the bedroom sliding closet doors several times until this last week, when there wasn't any adjustment left. I discovered another "dumb engineering" mistake. For the header they had used (2) stacked 1x3's. The first one appears to be screwed to the ceiling, but the second one was just nailed to the one below with wire finish nails. Vibration in travel, was more than the nails could hold so the header seperated allowing the doors to drop. For now I've replaced the short track screws with longer ones that extend into the bottom 1x3. Once I get back in, I'll need to remove the doors so I can either replace the header entirely or determine how to reinforce the existing arrangement so that it will hold the weight. Love my unit, but Heartland needs to pay attention to the little things.

Tallyrver

Thanks for the info,the same thing happened in our last coach. The sliding mirror fell out of the frame and fell on the bed,lucky it did not break . I replaced the top frame with 2x2 and forgot all about it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The slider track on both of our slider doors are both bent as the snap strap that is supposed to hold the doors in place while traveling doesn't hold them in place very well.

I've decided to just leave them bent as the doors still slide, but needs a little elbow grease . . . which means that now they stay in place while going down the road!

JanAndBill

The slider track on both of our slider doors are both bent as the snap strap that is supposed to hold the doors in place while traveling doesn't hold them in place very well.

I've decided to just leave them bent as the doors still slide, but needs a little elbow grease . . . which means that now they stay in place while going down the road!

Thanks for reminding me, the little guide on the floor is a thin plastic thing that doesn't hold *&^&. We wedge stuff between the bed and the doors when we travel to keep them from falling out. Have to fix that also. Will try to post some pictures when I do the repair.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks for reminding me, the little guide on the floor is a thin plastic thing that doesn't hold *&^&.

I know . . .

The day we picked up our trailer from the dealer and did the PDI, both of those plastic guides were pulled out of the wall and lying on the floor.

They said they'd put them back in . . . which they did!

And after the 15 mile first drive home . . . they were both back on the floor . . . pulled out of the wall.

Darned things are worthless!