Mattress failure in 6 days, Lippert giving back $ 200. Can you buy a Mattress for $200 ???

thirdtimeround

So our new 2014 3100 Cyclone toy hauler has a few issues, overall we had a good first trip to FL. Our mattress lasted from March 11th to March17th to which neither of us could believe ! Our mattress looked like it had been slept on by 2 large bears for 30 years. A trip to Wallmart and an air mattress seemed like a fix till we made it home. The middle the night found us sinking ,yep it was a leaking. 2 days later we found Mattress Xpress and purchased their cheapest queen @ $800. It's 15'' tall which makes the built in night tables better also as you don't bang your arms into them. I ask you all Is $200. from Heartland fair ?? We have had 2 Winnebago's and are already seeing short comings. I have pictures and poor factory responses. U be the Judge. Mike

danemayer

Are you saying that Heartland offered to reimburse you $200 since you already replaced the mattress?

DocFather

The King Mattress in my 4100 did the same thing after 3 weeks last August. All HL would do for me was to replace it with the exact same mattress. That took 6 months. I have not yet slept on it to see if it will do the same thing.

remoandiris

HL uses cheap products from suppliers. We're to blame. We keep buying the junk they produce and make excuses for it.

stevenssr

I've had several RV's now, and everyone of them started out with pretty cheap mattresses. Heartland has definitely been the best so far. Is it a high quality, home mattress? No, I'm sure it's not, but I've definitely had worse. My last RV mattress (from KZ) was so bad, I felt bad about giving it away to the needy (and it was brand new in the wrapper). I think what few springs it had were at least a foot apart.

I've still got my original mattress at 9 months old, but it's definitely on my list to replace. A new mattress seems to be part of the transition from a new RV to your RV. Hope you are enjoying the rest of the RV.

Scott

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I look at it this way. Go to a Lazy Boy store and buy a decent recliner and compare it to a $300 dollar recliner from Big Lots.
I've owned at least 7 trailers that had low end mattresses and replaced every one of them. It was expected. Our Bighorn sports a Select Comfort RV King that was purchased within a year of us getting the trailer.
I really feel most manufacturers supply entry level at best mattresses in trailers.

scottyb

You don't have to replace the mattress unless you are just wanting to spend your money. Get a 3" latex foam (not memory foam) topper and it will sleep as good as any mattress you have ever slept on. We slept on ours for one night at home before our 1st trip, and ordered the foam topper. I swear it is more comfortable than the very expensive Intellibed we have at home.

thirdtimeround

Yes you are correct ,we keep tolerating this **** from dealers and manufactures. Seat tech is a division of Lippert who makes the mattress. Seat tech is proudly giving $200 because that's what the factory pays. The comment about it's expected to be replaced ,I do not agree after spending as much as some people spend for a home. Again after having 2 Winnebago's ,I disagree. Oh most Winnebago's have sleep number beds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes I agree on the mattress issue and other issues we all have had. When you bought your CY....in the price was a $200 mattress and you are now made whole by them giving you back $200. But, I paid alot more for this home ($500K) than you did for your CY and it did not come with a mattress or anything else, and it was a nightmare for the 1st year. I was livid for the whole time. All the RV builders use the same things...depending on the price point. I bet your Winnebago's cost more than your CY. HL would install a $1500 mattress if you want to pay for it. Your going to pay for it one way or another. Its the same thing with tires...towmax or Goodyears. Want GY's order them on your coach....but they are alot more $$$.

To the point.....if HL put all the high end stuff in their trailers.....could the normal working guy afford them....probably not. $200K CY??? When we buy these units....we are not buying a $million custom built coach.

I am not trying to belittle anyone here, but this is the real world we are all dealing with. Stuff happens and we just have to deal with it. Nothing made by man is perfect and never will be. Thats why pencils have erasers. All JMHO

thirdtimeround

Bob ,11 grandkids and a 58 Chevy ! I'm jealous, I only have 3 grandkids and they are a blast. Your right about sucking it up in this world we live in. But I guess it's the responses from the dealer and factory after the sale is what's troubling. They shouldn't blow their horn on U-tube about being # 1 ,and the best this and that. I'm just asking for what was in the sales brochure. Nothing more. Best,Mike

remoandiris

When we settle for ****, we get what we deserve. Several other builders (Keystone, Dutchman) put quality mattresses into their THs and their pricepoint is the same or less than HL. At least according to their websites.

Complaining on here, even complaining to HL, does no good. Spend your money elsewhere. Next time I will.

Last edited by a moderator:

DocFather

when we settle for ****, we get what we deserve. Several other builders (keystone, dutchman) put quality mattresses into their ths and their pricepoint is the same or less than hl. At least according to their websites.

Complaining on here, even complaining to hl, does no good. Spend your money elsewhere. Next time i will.

ditto!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, yes grandkids are great, but most of them live in other western states. So we don't see some of them very often. We will see 5 of them in May at the Utah rally. The 58 is a cool ride.

I was not trying to be harsh on anybody or anything with what I said. Having been it the "service" world for over 45 years, I am a little jaded is guess. There is just some people that you can't please no matter what you do for them. People buy the cheapest Chevy and are mad because its not a Cadillac.

Some people just have to rant and complain like one poster on here. It's just their nature. I guess it makes them feel better but won't help their cause. Most of the time it will turn people off to help them or any help they might have ever recieved. That was my MO when I was writing service in car dealers. "Hello sir may I help you" and then it was you SOB this car is all screwed up and YOU will get it if fixed or else. HUM, OK....well maybe I will, maybe I won't (under my breath)....maybe you should take it somewhere else and yell at them. For one thing...I did not engineer it, build it or make you buy it. With attitudes like that most people in this world won't get any help from anyone.... a punch in the nose maybe. I think you get my drift. The poster was advised by many, many people to take his coach to an other dealer to have it repaired. He refused and kept taking it back to the same dealer. So now the problem is worse and he is even madder now. SO who should he madder at??

Well at least you got $200 to buy another mattress. I guess that is better than a poke in the eye with a stick. I have not always been a HL cheerleader, but I will say that they go farther than most to help a customer with any issues even when out of warranty. It's all in the way you ask for help.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I for one - have never slept on a mattress that came with any trailer. For me it would be better if the rig did not come with a mattress since I ended up having to throw it away. AS to the $200 - that is about what a standard RV mattress is worth - and with my Back, you would never catch me sleeping on it for more than a day or two before it got replaced. My Back is worth way more than the cost of a good mattress - and even what one of you might consider a really high end manufacture would not meet me needs in most cases so if I have the choice - I'd take the $200 and put it toward a mattress that I personally could sleep on.

Personally I think that it would be worthwhile to have the mattress an option with several name brand solutions available from the dealer. I would venture that every dealer could manage a deal with a local Mattress store to deliver directly to the RV prior to PDI....

Kevin -

thirdtimeround

Kevin great idea, mattress upgrades from the dealer. I broke my back in 1999 so I'm with ya. Bob no offense taken ,you sound like a reasonable guy. Here is what happens . You go to camping world and see the 3110, it does not have the options/colors you want. The price is off the chart for what you do want. They can order it ,but it will take 6 month's. You check the internet and you see they are charging you $23k less for the same product. You buy that unit from a different dealer and then hope you don't need anything major. Because you are gonna get this, where did you buy it ? Why don't you bring it back there ? I had it happen already with a dealer that is 6 miles away. Yeah I'm venting ,but it looks like a lot of people have the same complaints. I also told the factory I can fix most of this stuff ,just send me the parts. Oh we need a work order , verification,bla bla bla. I can send detailed pictures/video. The dealer is gonna call Heartland and say I need part # so and so, OK. I was in the same business you were in so I know the ropes and hoops. There are a lot of handy people here, were all trying to help on another. God help the other ones. Again thanks for the help from all, Mike

danemayer

Considering all the different choices at various price points for home mattresses, I'm pretty sure there's no single RV mattress offering that would be found acceptable by a majority of owners.

Sleep Number sounds like it would be good for everyone because it's adjustable. Camping world has it on sale for $1500. But in shopping for a home mattress some years ago I found I don't care for the feel of Sleep Number beds. So I wouldn't be happy about paying an extra $1300 for the RV to find I'm getting a Sleep Number bed. There are probably others who would feel the same.

2 years ago we bought an RV King memory foam mattress for around $500. We liked it so much that a year later we got exactly the same one for home. DW finds it too hard. So the same mattress changed from year to year and isn't really quite the same. The same might happen with RVs (or with dealers offering choices).

I think it would be good if Heartland moved to a more durable mattress without adding too much cost. But I think that within a year most of us old geezers would still be replacing whatever came with the RV.

scottyb

I agree completely. Mattresses are a very subjective topic. I have only slept on a sleep number bed at a couple times at nicer motels and they didn't suit me. Yet it seems like 3/4 of high end motorhomes I have looked at come with one. I would rather make that choice myself.

remoandiris

When you order a $70K Cadillac, you don't expect to receive the cheapest Chevy. I only have 28 years in the service industry. When I first started, I didn't really care about customers. Lucky for me one boss I had really opened my eyes. When customers have options, taking care of them is of utmost importance. When a dealer squanders a second chance, they typically lose a customer for life. If service advisors decide to blow off irate customers instead of calming the customer and making sure their $70K Cadillac is operating properly, that customer will likely go to Mercedes, Lexus, or another marque. Sure, they may have problems with that vehicle, too, but the customer already knows the $70K Cadillac is junk and the dealers or service advisors don't care.

thirdtimeround

Best response yet ! You're right on the money. Its captivating to see how we all think. I feel like I'm watching OJ drive the Bronco down the freeway ,you know it's crazy, walk away ,only to come back and look again. My objective was to see how people feel about issues we have "if any" with HL. Seems like I have enough to write a nice letter to the President of HL. I appreciate the forum, Mike