Replacing the mattress, how hard is it?

dbbls59

We have a 4350TS Big Country and I'm going to replace the mattress with a comfortable one. The new one will probably be thicker than the old one. I was wondering how hard it is to get the mattress into the bedroom. I do plan on cutting the king down to a queen to give more room around the bed. This is the same floor plan as the 3585 Bighorn and Grand Canyon Landmark. Has anyone done this?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Several members have replaced the King with a Queen. You may have to reduce the width of the platform to 60". When doing that, consider rounding the corners at the foot of the bed to match the radius of the mattress.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don, I have the 3585, so same floor plan as your 3450.
Last year I replaced the mattress. I bought a memory foam.
It came rolled up so all I had to do was wrestle with it a bit. Well a lot. Two people would make the process a lot easier.
I got the old King out, so a new King or Queen will go back in.

Peace
Dave

Rodbuster

Good morning Don,
We have a new Landmark that came with a king size. The first thing I did after taking delivery was change out the bed. We replaced it with a "sleep number".
Taking the old bed out is alot easier with 2 people. As far as the sleep number, it's a piece of cake. You bring everything into the bedroom one piece at a time.

We really love the sleep number.

Dick

bdb2047

When I took the king out I used a ratchet strap around it pulled it together some ,sort of like a C shape. Had no problem getting it out myself .Was tight to ceiling at first.

dbbls59

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do plan on modifying the frame to fit the queen. Dave, I never thought of using a ratchet strap to squeeze the old mattress together, good idea.

Don, we have a 2013 Big Country Model 3596RE. We changed our king mattress (70 X 80 inches) last fall. Both the new mattress and old mattress came out and in with no issues. It did take two people to handle each mattress. To get a new 70 X 80 inches, we had to order it from a mattress store in Fort Wayne, IN that took six weeks. Our trailer floor plan would not take a standard king mattress. We put in a firm mattress that we used all last winter in AZ with no issues where the original mattress became uncomfortable and a large sage within two months of ussage.

Jim Heibeck
Fort Wayne, IN

Seren

We bought a 2014 Grand Canyon two months ago that came with a memory foam mattress that is aready sagging, is this under warranty? Even if it is replaced, it seems that it will only happen again. Is this a weight issue? I would assume that a regular mattress would weight much more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD