High Pointe EM925RSL-B makes crackling noise when not in use

My microwave makes a "crackling" noise when it's plugged in and not in use. The noise goes away when I unplug it. Has anyone had this problem? I'm inclined to think it's probably a leaky capacitor or partially shorted transformer.

jimtoo

I definitely would not leave it plugged in. Unplug and make some calls. Don't take a chance on a fire.

I opened the unit and found the sound to be coming from the "beeper" (small speaker that beeps with button pushes, end of cook cycle, etc) on the front panel circuit board. Likely the beeper circuit is picking up interference from the high voltage capacitor. I doubt this is particularly dangerous but the noise is irritating. I tried to post an audio file I recorded of it but am having trouble adding this attachment. I saw a Dometic unit at campingworld.com, but somewhat surprisingly to me the size is different than my cabinet which has a 13" x 20" opening. I was expecting a standard size for RV microwaves. I will be looking for a new microwave that fits - any suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated!

Last edited:

Maz

I opened the unit and found the sound to be coming from the "beeper" (small speaker that beeps with button pushes, end of cook cycle, etc) on the front panel circuit board. Likely the beeper circuit is picking up interference from the high voltage capacitor. I doubt this is particularly dangerous but the noise is irritating. I tried to post an audio file I recorded of it but am having trouble adding this attachment. I saw a Dometic unit at campingworld.com, but somewhat surprisingly to me the size is different than my cabinet which has a 13" x 20" opening. I was expecting a standard size for RV microwaves. I will be looking for a new microwave that fits - any suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated!

This morning I could hear this funny crackling noise and I discovered it was the microwave, so I unplugged it. Then I decided to Google it and came up with this forum thread. I have a 2011 Elkridge. There must be problems with these microwaves. I wonder if there has been any recalls or anything. I will give Heartland a call I think.

Maz

I have the same Model Number Microwave as PlanoTXBill a High Pointe EM925RSL-B. I discovered it was making a crackling noise as well. I called Heartland and spoke with the Service Manager, he called the Company that they buy the microwaves from, Collins & Company Inc. and that Company called me back a few minutes ago. They said that they had not received any complaints about this microwave, although it is now discontinued and has been replaced with another model, (she didn't say why it was discontinued, maybe because of this problem?) Collins & Co., would like to hear from anyone who is having or has had a problem with this microwave model. Their phone number is 1-574-848-1118, ask for Tracy. I would be interested to know myself how many people are having or have had this problem, so I will follow this thread.
[h=2][/h]